but what about an FJ...

Hound

Sheepdog
You mention the no longer produced FJC and the soon to be replaced Tacoma, why not split the difference and get a new 4Runner?

Actually, I am torn between a JK (2 door) rubicon and a FJC. I referenced the Tacoma I used to own in my initial post in order to demonstrate that I had experience with the basic FJ platform. I also owned a 2002 4runner. While I absolutely loved that truck, a 4runner would be too much of an overlap with my land cruiser which currently fills my family/overlanding needs. Just looking for a weekend wheeling rig for me and the wife to sneak away occasionally. Really miss driving manual transmission, so I'd like to get a rig with a stick, which is really how I arrived at this juncture between a JK and a FJC. Having already owned a JK, I am really looking for FJC insight as I don't know anyone who owns/ owned one.

Hound

Sheepdog
Another possibility might be the Xterra. I believe they are a bit narrower than the FJC. Available with a rear locker and even a manual transmission if that's what you want. Cost would be considerably less than an FJC, too.

Funny you mention that. I actually owned a first gen xterra. While I hold my '02 4runner as the gold standard for all 4x4s to live up to, I would put the xterra at the bottom of the list of 4x4s I've owned. It didn't seem to do anything well for me. Now in all fairness, my xterra was a gen 1 and it definitely did not have a rear locker. I'm sure the newer xterras are much better. If Nissan decided to drop the cummins that they have planned for the frontier into the xterra, I think they might have a winner on their hands.

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
Actually, I am torn between a JK (2 door) rubicon and a FJC. I referenced the Tacoma I used to own in my initial post in order to demonstrate that I had experience with the basic FJ platform. I also owned a 2002 4runner. While I absolutely loved that truck, a 4runner would be too much of an overlap with my land cruiser which currently fills my family/overlanding needs. Just looking for a weekend wheeling rig for me and the wife to sneak away occasionally. Really miss driving manual transmission, so I'd like to get a rig with a stick, which is really how I arrived at this juncture between a JK and a FJC. Having already owned a JK, I am really looking for FJC insight as I don't know anyone who owns/ owned one.

Manual? You can have that. Since you're shopping used, find a good JKR soft top. Personally, I'd avoid a manual, too much time in traffic and I like water; clutches like neither, but if you like them, go for it.

Arktikos

Explorer
I'm sure the newer xterras are much better..

More horsepower, electronic gadgets and uglier styling, no doubt, but it does make the Forbes list of new cars to avoid, along with the Jeep you're considering.
For owner reviews of the FJ, you could always look at the Edmunds website for all years of production. http://www.edmunds.com/toyota/fj-cruiser/2010/
Investing in new rolling stock is overrated though. An old Jeep like vehicle would work just fine for your plans.

Derek24

Explorer
If all you want it for is to run tight trials you'd be better off with a 3rd gen (96-02) 4runner. They are offroad machines with a little aftermarket add ons and the money you'd save! I had a 2011 FJ for 6 month than sold it. Like others said it was hard to see out of and small inside. Took a two week road trip all over the west in it and after sold it. Really fun to drive offroad, very smooth, and with the 6 speed but I felt like I was in the middle of a big box. I have a 2003 sequoia now, completely different, and don't recommend for tight trails, but I'm much happier!

Paddy

Adventurer
Sidekicks are great, plus you can choose short or long wheelbase, they tougher than you think, and best part is they cost about 1/4 what a toyota or jeep would. I kinda wish I had fixed up one of these instead of buying my 2012 tacoma. It's needed lots of setup and $ and been a bit disappointing in some ways, whereas my 97 suzuki gave me nothing but good times for 10 years.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 58

FJR Colorado

Explorer
The FJ is just a great off-road adventure vehicle. Very capable. They climb like mountain goats. Totally fun to drive. As mentioned previously, A-trac is superb. There is a multitude of after-market options available for customizing it as you see fit.

It is not a great option if you want the ultimate rock crawler or want lots of space for dogs, kids, gear, whatever. Nor if you want an everyday driver for fuel economy.

But talk about a vehicle which you can comfortably drive for hundreds of miles in the best AC ever... and then pull off onto class 4 and 5 trails and have thrilling adventures....

I have one of the first FJs ever sold. I'll never give it up.

Citylights

FJs have great build quality and go 200k plus miles. They are a little quirky, but there is a fix for each quark. Big blind spots? Learn to use your mirrors. A 2 inch bubble mirror on each of the generous side mirrors and there is no blind spot. 18 mpg? Why yes it is 4WD. Range limited to 300-350 miles? Limited space inside? Full length roof rack for gear storage and a couple roof mounted gas cans, problem solved. They are fantastic capable stock and super with just a tire upgrade, but there are also tons of after market bolt on upgrades to make them even more capable. Under armor, lift kit, rock sliders, bumpers, lights, winch, anything you can imagine. 5000 lb towing capacity if you are inclined to pull things. Unlike jeeps, they have plenty of cooling capacity and don't overheat. I have a 2012 and have been thrilled with it. I put 75k miles on it already and all I have done is change oil and air filters. Comfortable suspension for use as a daily driver and fun weekends trail riding.

brushogger

Explorer
I owned a 2008 Tacoma and a 2008 FJ. I liked both.

As far as the FJ, yes it has a small gas tank and range is limited. I found the visibility to be "ok". Not great but not as bad as some people claim.

I think the FJ is okay for no more than 2 people. If you have a family or kids, then NO.
This x 2. We love ours, but it's just me and the wife.

Graves

My fiance and I have one of each. My dd is the JKU Rubi and she drives the FJ. The YJ is my toy.

Mechanically, they're the same vehicles. The JKU and FJ are both stock, both have lockers (JKU has front & rear/FJ has ATRAC & rear locker), same gas mileage (20mpg), same weight, similar dimensions, both white with the same mileage but one year apart ('13 vs '12). They both have the same power, torque and "real" 4wd. The only differences: JKU is a 6 speed with mud tires and the FJ is auto with street tires.

Like you've already mentioned, the JKU is the more competent vehicle when the trails get technical. The select-able front and rear lockers, electric swaybar disconnect, and a computer that "DOES NOT" let the engine stall as long as you're in first gear 4-low turns any trail into a nice cruise. The IFS on the FJ makes off-camber obstacles a bit more hairy. The body tends to keep itself level with front wheels and lets the back axle do most of the flexing. The FJ is more at home keeping a higher speed on faster logging style roads.

As far as road manners (where most of us spend our time), the FJ's is superior to the point I wish I was dd'ing the FJ instead of the JKU. The JKU is floaty, likes to wander, and takes more effort and concentration just to stay in your lane. The FJ is more planted and feels more car like. Visibility is a moot point. Both suck - you get used to it and learn how to work with it.

Honestly, you can't go wrong with either one.
10410538_740491912674232_8223069381011661046_n.jpg
10523966_10202620642412584_8014549108291230491_n.jpg10440211_740466229343467_8470847785385182955_n.jpg

A review written by someone with much better writing skills than myself lol
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests...wrangler_unlimited_vs_2014_toyota_fj_cruiser/

cybercat

Adventurer
Watch out for FJ years 07-09 inner apron cracks and damage. Costly +$5000 repair. Otherwise a fun vehicle.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Watch out for FJ years 07-09 inner apron cracks and damage. Costly +$5000 repair. Otherwise a fun vehicle.

I have a general rule that you should never buy the 1st model year of any vehicle. Seems like there are always "issues" that need to be worked out. ;)

FJR Colorado

Explorer
I have a general rule that you should never buy the 1st model year of any vehicle. Seems like there are always "issues" that need to be worked out. ;)

I've never had the cracking apron issue. It seems to be related to driving like nuts and/or having a heavy bumper... I would kind of like to do an ARB bumper but have always shied away for that reason.

I never understood the so-called blind-spot issue.

I maintain it well and it has been virtually perfect.

moodywizard

Adventurer
I would do some research on other forums that are specific to those two vehicles. Of course there will be some biased opinion but you will also learn the pros and cons which people rant about.

I have owned a 94 YJ and multiple XJ's, and know people with JK's. Currently I have a 2007 fj. Coming from the jeep world with solid axles up front it does take some time to get comfortable with a IFS in off camber situations. Its relatively easy to lift a tire up, but just have to drive through it...

Also need to keep in mind 33" tire is about as big you want to go without gears and other modifications, and even with those modifications you can only really go to a 35" tire unless you get crazy and convert the front to solid axle. Then you would have the best of both worlds.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94