but what about an FJ...

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
The "Trail Team Suspension" is pretty much just Bilstein shocks. I'd get a nice new OME or Toytec kit instead. Get some nice Ricochet skids. Do your scuba mod. Get some Allpro sliders. Get some GY MTRs. All will be well in your world.

Beat me to the punch.

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
I know you aren't terribly close but we are thinking of unloading our FJ to get rid of a car payment. It's pretty much overland ready. Only thing else I was going to do to it was install am. OME kit. Probably going to sell it with all the goodies including the RTT. PM me if interested. Not sure what exactly you are looking for but you could save some coin versus buying a bone stock one.

Patrollife

Explorer
Just get the FJC already!!!! I installed the Tepui Awning, JC mount (though you can't see it b/c there's no JC up there!) and Rigid Rear light to mine today :) ..... and am about to overland it through Mexico to Guatemala and can't effing wait! You're wasting time when you could be having fun!

IMG_2458.JPG
IMG_2455.JPG
IMG_2456.JPG

uli2000

Adventurer
Also about parts, the FJC is rather hard to find parts for in South America, Europe, and Africa. Sure there are Toyota dealers, but the FJC is not sold in those markets. A Toyota Hilux is the truck most commonly seen. Lots of LandCruisers also. And a few Defenders.

Isn't pretty much all of the FJC, like the 4Runner, the same as the LC Prado 120?

I would say that it appears your assessment mirrors that of Toyota which is why the FJC is gone and there is now a 4Runner TRD Pro.

FJC is gone because of CAFE fuel efficiency standards. It's still being made and sold in Australia, Japan, and the Middle East. Possibly other markets, but not in NA anymore.

Richietherocket

Adventurer
I have an 07 FJC with 123k on the dial. It has been great for me and the family (wife, 7YO and 3YO) You learn to pack well, utilize the roofrack, pack stuff on the floor that the kids can stand on. We have taken week long trips all over CO and UT without issue. We have added 12v outlets in the back for all the stuff that you travel with. We carry gas, treds, camp boxes and inflatable kayaks on top. Camp stuff, tent, cooler, water and personal stuff on the inside. Working on a net that will go above the rear inside area to get some stuff off the floor similar to what the G-Wagons offer. It is very capable in stock form so no need to get all crazy as soon as you purchase one. Just go drive one and see. I dont have an issue with the blind spot and I dont have a camera. Adjust your mirrors properly.

hagermans west.jpg DSC_0001.jpg DSC_0012.jpg

Patrollife

Explorer
Isn't pretty much all of the FJC, like the 4Runner, the same as the LC Prado 120?

FJC is gone because of CAFE fuel efficiency standards. It's still being made and sold in Australia, Japan, and the Middle East. Possibly other markets, but not in NA anymore.

The FJ is sold in South Africa, I know that for sure, and I've seen them on the road in Namibia, Zimbabwe, Kenya and even South Sudan. I'm pretty sure they are available in parts of West Africa as well.

I've also seen a number of them in Guatemala since arriving in August.

Arktikos

Explorer
The Trail Teams features were optioned on all the FJC's other than the Bilstiens it's just badging, 16" wheels and a special paint scheme.

I just read an article that says this edition also includes heavy duty coil springs up front for a more level stance, a roof rack and better tires, plus the things you've mentioned.
No, I wouldn't pay 3K extra for it. You could buy a used 4runner for that and call it good. :)

Regarding visibility, the reviewer also added:

With the aerodynamics of a brick, wind noise is pretty bad in the FJ's interior, but outward visibility is the most glaring issue. The small windshield barely allows you to see stop lights in the city, and it makes it hard to gauge exactly where the nose is at times. Combined with small side mirrors, small rear windows and rather large B-pillars, seeing other cars, obstacles and sensing where the wheels are can all be a challenge.

Friggin_Fuego

The FJ is sold in South Africa, I know that for sure, and I've seen them on the road in Namibia, Zimbabwe, Kenya and even South Sudan. I'm pretty sure they are available in parts of West Africa as well.

I've also seen a number of them in Guatemala since arriving in August.

This is true. If one is looking to do international travel, the FJ is the vehicle for it, more so than the 4Runner and Tacoma. Toyota markets the FJ internationally as another vehicle in its "Land Cruiser Range". There will be more FJ parts available worldwide than the 4Runner, Tacoma, Tundra, and the Xterra. Check out how it's marketed in this promo from New Zealand:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSiaoUHQbLw&list=UUaOLg-oZLDVFYi-1viFim5g

What's even more crazy is that there are more parts internationally for a Lexus GX460 than a 4Runner since it's pretty much Land Cruiser Prado.

mach1dsg

I own a 2010 FJ with a M6 trans, I bought it used with 21k miles in Jan 2013, I didn't know anything about FJ's., fact I was more of Jeep guy (I've owned various years Cherokees and Commanders), test drove both, a 2013 Jeep Wrangler unlimited Sahara with the M6 trans, and just by chance, my brother in law told me to test an FJ cruiser. lol, needless to say, I took home the FJ, zero issues with it after 70k miles on the clock now, ZERO, and I have done nothing to it other than to add fuel, changed engine oil, and diff fluids, plus add mods to it and give it hell in most trails in Southern California, and i'm not driving it exactly around flat roads and dirt, I've done some black diamond trails around Big Bear and surrounding areas, sure it's not a Rubicon, but it's a lot more capable than what you think it is, it's my DD too, so it goes from the trails Sat or Sunday whether I go along or take the family with me, to the vehicle that drives me to the office back and forth Monday through Friday, (130 miles daily commute, and no, I don't care about having a Prius to do this :)) it doesn't squeak, it doesn't wander, all it needs is a wash and gas to go from Weekend family/self toy hauler to DD hauler, it's the most capable/reliable vehicle I've ever owned, plus not many vehicles shared the resale value the FJ has, if you want to read current and more accurate reviews about FJ's, i'd suggest to read the FJcruiser forums, or the FJC forums, especially what we think as an offroad community about the "blind spots", and all the other reviews out there from magazines or 3rd party individuals where it seems the term "Offroad vehicle" for them is more of a matter whether they're going to park the truck in the tarmac or the in the dirt when they take their kids to play soccer.

The only issue I see with this vehicles that wouldn't make it exactly a capable overlander rig in stock trim is the full tank capacity. it's only 19 gallons, and you get the low fuel light at around 15 gallons, don't ask me way Toyota gave us that light 4 gallons before empty when in other vehicles that seems to happen at around 2 gallons. Since mine is AWD, mpg are a little higher compared to the auto equipped model, so driving by myself with 33" tires, around 200lbs more of steel plates underneath that I've installed myself using factory mounts without a single need for a weld, and lifted around 2.5-3", I get 240-270miles per tank. As most overlander rigs, things can be modified to suite whatever needs you have, There is a lot of aftermarket here in the States that covers everything you need from suspension to armor, to lights, to roof racks, to storage, to anything else you can think off you'll need in this rig to cover trails and do overlanding or anything really you want to do out of conventional roads, You won't even believe how easy is too work on this vehicles to add aftermarket stuff to it, it's like Toyota thought people were going to go crazy equipping this vehicles for anything out there, granted, parts are not as cheap as the ones you'll find for a Jeep, but the aftermarket is plenty, fit and quality are top notch from reputable vendors, and there is a lot of bolt-ons from Armor to suspension and lot of other mods that doesn't require any welding whatsoever.

I want to start equipping mine for a little bit more overlanding in mind,and the reason I joined the forum a year ago, but it won't be a full expedition vehicle, at least for now, , it's not easy because we're a family of 5, with 3 little kids, so eventually we well need more space as the kids will start demanding more leg space, i'm 6.0, same as my wife, and our kids won't be exactly average height either :), i'm keeping this vehicle for a big while, my intentions are forever, so I'm currently looking at a Dodge Power Wagon, or Ford SVT Raptor. In a couple of years i'll decide, for now, i'll keep enjoying my vehicle with blind spots, and the new one, that it brakes with ARB bumpers on some jumps ??, lol. You're more than welcome to read the FJcruiser forums, and see the list of "horrors" for yourself hahaha.

I could count with my fingers the list of well known issues, and mine don't have not even one of them.

Here is min getting ready for some family action
CAM01379 by SilverFJ RSM, on Flickr

Not my pic, but this is our adopted trail in Big Bear, and we go though it in comfort :)
079 by SilverFJ RSM, on Flickr

And not monster Teraflex Rubicon suspension, but some OME L shocks can give you some nice flex in the back with properly matched springs, for some nice extra travel with factory sway bars on, i'll gain more without the rear sway bar, but I do like to hit 80mph from time time, and still ride like a Caddy inside or outside the trails.
IMG_0578 by SilverFJ RSM, on Flickr

Have fun with your FJ search, people often don't know what an FJ is and how capable they're until they own one, yes you might get somebody here and there with regrets, that's like 1% of the population who owns one. check the FJ forums, see how many repent, perhaps this would give you the little push in the back you need to join an awesome community.

Good luck.

Last edited:
I didn't see anyone comment on it in 9 pages but I wanted to let you know about the gears you mentioned in the first post.

There are 4.10s available for the 07-09 FJs but they are super $$$$$ as I believe you have to order them from Toyota Japan which would be an OEM ratio option from a 4runner (i think).

Since that's not a cost effective option the aftermarket gear options are 4.56 and 4.88. 4.56s are avialable for all years with the 4.88 option currently only available to 07-09s, as the 2010+ trucks have a larger 8.2 rear end.

OEM gear ratio with the Auto is 3.73 and 3.90 for the Manual. So 4.10s would really only barely bring you back to stock if you went with 33s on the auto tranny, so they aren't very useful. Most go 4.56 with 33s and 4.88s with 35s for those years that have that option

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412028060.558764.jpg
I've been from Maine to OBX, moab and black bear pass in my FJ, it's always a challenge to pack enough stuff in it. But some extra fuel on the rear bar (two 5-gal scepter cans) and some water&food make it part of the adventure. Having more room to pack more stuff just makes it too easy. :)

Steve Simpson
Stafford, Virginia

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94