but what about an FJ...

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
I don't understand the relevance of the FJ when you can get a 4 runner with the same platform ( is it not the Land cruiser 120 series prado?)

The friends of mine who had one, all fell in love with the styling, but after living with it sold them. Here is the #1 reason: Trying to egress rear passengers with the clamshell rear doors in a parking lot is comedy. One of those silly things you don't think about much until you are dealing with it.

I understand the gentlemen who started this thread will most likely be using the rear passenger areas for gear etc... but why compromise that access?

I am not bashing the FJ. Looking it it from an objective point of view it simply makes no sense compared to a 4 runner or Tacoma.

I have driven two Fjs very briefly so I am not qualified to have much more of an opinion, but I will say that I found it silly to have to lean forward to see a traffic signal above you because you are sitting inside the worlds largest football helmet.

I think the FJ is an exercise in retro design and an attempt to retain brand heritage. It is my opinion (again, never owning one) that in the current market the FJ simply does not stand out as a must purchase overloading vehicle.

I have owned 1 66 FJ, 88 Fj62, 88 FJ62, 96FzJ80, Current vehicle is a Tundra.

I would say that it appears your assessment mirrors that of Toyota which is why the FJC is gone and there is now a 4Runner TRD Pro.

Last edited:

nater

Adventurer
Hmmmm. I have a 3rd gen 4runner and this week brought home my special ordered 6 speed fj. To me, the visibility is not a concern, the standard rear camera and large mirrors do a great job. The interior space is not much smaller, and in fact much taller (good for us 6'2" guys). I have already slept in mine with a cot, and slept well. It's just my wife and I, so with a rrt, it's perfect. Also, I could get it with a manual transmission, a requirement for me for a proper expo rig (ever try to push start an auto? Lol). Plus the after market is fantastic.

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
I don't understand the relevance of the FJ when you can get a 4 runner with the same platform ( is it not the Land cruiser 120 series prado?)
I would like to consider a 4Runner, but for myself they do not have enough headroom. Simple as that.

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
The headroom is cavernous. Funny how a Land Cruiser and even a Suburban feel more claustrophobic after spending time in an FJ. I think as previously mentioned though, taller folks have a bit tougher time seeing out and forward for traffic lights. I always thought if they just would have brought the windshield about 6" closer to the driver and made the roof line flat from front to back they really could have had a lot more visibility and a ton of interior volume, especially in the back. I don't care for the sloping rear roof down to the back door. Minor gripe though. I still pack for the three of us and biking gear using just the space behind the seats.

FJR Colorado

Explorer
6'6" here. The driver's headroom and legroom is much greater in an FJ than a 4Runner.

Visibility is simply not a problem for me. In fact, I think that huge front window kind of gives it a feel like a big boat. I love it.

Arktikos

Explorer
6'5" here. 1st and 2nd generation 4Runners are OK headroom wise for me, but the third gen with sunroof is not. Haven't sat in a newer one. What I don't like on newer vehicles is the big angle slant on the windshields.
The old FJ40s had ample head room but terrible legroom. Good to hear the new FJ Cruiser has plenty of both.

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
6'5" here. 1st and 2nd generation 4Runners are OK headroom wise for me, but the third gen with sunroof is not. Haven't sat in a newer one.
I have sat in a 4th gen 4Runner with a sunroof, it was no go headroomwise. Legroom was adequate but I am long torso, legs are relatively short. Have not tried one without a sunroof yet, but those are not common.

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
I have sat in a 4th gen 4Runner with a sunroof, it was no go headroomwise. Legroom was adequate but I am long torso, legs are relatively short. Have not tried one without a sunroof yet, but those are not common.

I have a 4th gen without a sunroof. Im 6'4 and have no issues with legroom or comfort. But then again I drove a shorted regular cab tacoma for a while and didn't complain about that either. Come to think about it, i rode around in an up armored HMMWV for a loooong time. Anyone who has been in one of those will tell you there is not much room. So i guess I'm not much for complaining about headroom. Just learn to live with it.

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
With the seat at it's lowest position my head was jammed against the rim that goes around the sunroof. Not even close to something I would live with.
It is possible that I could fit without a sunroof, don't know.

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
With the seat at it's lowest position my head was jammed against the rim that goes around the sunroof. Not even close to something I would live with.
It is possible that I could fit without a sunroof, don't know.

i believe sunroof roofs are lower to compensate for the mechanism. SR5 4runners rarely have sunroofs. That might be an option.

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
Sunroofs definitely steal headroom, I just don't know how much in this case. There are very few vehicles I can drive comfortably with a sunroof, and some I can't drive even without a sunroof.

Hound

Sheepdog
Thanks again to all who took the time to offer some experience on the FJC. I am more torn than ever now on which way to go. What is the consensus with the Trail Team edition FJs? Are they worth the extra $$? I am getting some fair pricing on left over FJs from the dealers I have inquired with. I found one of the Trail Team rigs and the dealer is asking ~3k more than a non TT edition. Is the suspension on the TT worth it?

Last edited:

FJR Colorado

Explorer
Thanks again to all who took the time to offer some experience on the FJC. I am more torn than ever now on which way to go. What is the consensus with the Trail Team edition FJs? Are they worth the extra $$? I am getting some fair pricing on left over FJs from the dealers I have inquired with. I found one of the Trail Team rigs and the dealer is asking ~3k more than a non TT edition. Is the suspension on the TT worth it?

The "Trail Team Suspension" is pretty much just Bilstein shocks. I'd get a nice new OME or Toytec kit instead. Get some nice Ricochet skids. Do your scuba mod. Get some Allpro sliders. Get some GY MTRs. All will be well in your world.

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient

I guess the question is what do you plan to do with the FJ? If a suspension kit is planned it doesn't matter. The Trail Teams features were optioned on all the FJC's other than the Bilstiens it's just badging, 16" wheels and a special paint scheme. I wouldn't plan on paying a premium for one personally.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior