but what about an FJ...

Hound

Sheepdog
I come in search of some honest feedback. I am looking for an off-road rig. Just a little background as it pertains to my question. I have owned both a Jeep JK Rubicon as well as a current generation (2008) Tacoma TRD Off-Road. While I realize these two vehicles are not in the same class, I enjoyed both vehicles.

I was all set to order another JK Rubicon, when I started to consider the FJ. I have read all the common complaints about the FJ (poor visibility, limited range, no SFA, no 4:10s). My Jeep (’10 Rubicon) was phenomenal off-road, but the build quality left a lot to be desired. Unlike some Jeep owners who begin modifying on day one, I only really modified when things broke or got damaged. Problem was, I damaged more parts on that Jeep than any other 4x4 that I had owned up until then and so I ended up having to upgrade more than I would have cared to in the first couple years I owned the jeep. While the newer JKs are a lot nicer than the ’10 I owned, having owned Toyotas in the past, I am a fan of the low maintence and high value/ built quality for the $$.

My intended purpose for this vehicle will be camping/off-roading/ lite duty outdoors work. Off-road for me means Class 4 roads in VT. I am not the guy who drops buckets of $$ into automotive builds. I prefer to leave vehicles as stock as possible other than lifts/tires. When things break, than I usually take the opportunity to upgrade.

The way I see it, I would be willing to trade a bit of off-road prowess of the JK for the added safety that the FJ offers, but I would really like to hear some unbiased opinions from current and prior FJ owners or even better, people who have owned both a JK and an FJ: If someone offered you the keys to a new JK Rubicon or a new FJ, which would you take and why?

If it matters to anyone, both vehicles would be 6-speed manual transmission equipped. I would hope to find an FJ with the e-locker.

If anyone has any questions or if I missed anything feel free to let me know.

Patrollife

Explorer
Succinctly put:

1. It's a Toyota. Well built, retains value, and if you ever decide to overland internationally the chances of finding spare parts and experienced mechanics are much higher with a Toyota.
2. If you want a rig that performs just as well on the road as off, get the FJ. It's a fun rig to drive. It's not as technical superior on the more difficult trails as the Rubicon, but like you, I never really intended on using my FJ for rack crawling or incredibly challenging trails. I use mine for over landing and the occasional Black Bear Pass trail.
3. You don't see too many FJs on the road, comparatively speaking to the other referenced models.

I'm sure others will chime in--good or bad--but those are the three responses that immediately jump out to me. I love my FJ! If I were to get anything else it would probably be the 4Runner, HJ79, FJ80 or Landy Defender.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
I have a FJC, but its not my daily driver. If it was a daily I would stick with a Tacoma. A lot of time people don't realize how important a truck bed really is in day to day life.

jlandon

Get Dirty.
I've yet to own either but I've traveled in both fairly extensively.

The biggest complaint I have with FJC is the driver side cv needle bearing. You can find brass bushing replacements and its a fairly easy task with the proper tools.

Atrac is awesome once you know how to drive with it.

For me, I'd pick the FJC hands down. Eventually with the standard I would go with a marlin crawled lefty 4.7 case. With the auto, I would leave it alone.

After a long trip in each, you'll certainly better stepping out of the FJC.

I will say the JK seems to be more forgiving with stock axle ratios and larger tires.

landy89

Observer
I have an FJC and a Defender 110. The FJC is not a very good overlanding vehicle because it is too small inside. It is impossible to sleep inside, which I believe is an overlanding necessity for cold, rain, and security events. The interior space cannot be configured as a live space similar to a mini-RV as a Defender 110 or a LandCruiser can be.

Also about parts, the FJC is rather hard to find parts for in South America, Europe, and Africa. Sure there are Toyota dealers, but the FJC is not sold in those markets. A Toyota Hilux is the truck most commonly seen. Lots of LandCruisers also. And a few Defenders.

The FJC is a gasoline engine which is something i don't like when overlanding internationally. I prefer diesel for longevity, simplicity, and ability to consume low quality fuels. I've heard of at least 2 overlanders with FJCs who aborted their trips due to fuel issues in South America.

I do like that my FJC has an elocker on the rear. But it's an easy retrofit for most any other vehicle also. I put a Detroit Truetrac in my Defender, and I love it more than the elocker.

Tinfish

Observer
Have you driven one? The visibility issues made it a nonstarter for me, which is too bad because mechanically it is a really solid rig.

SunFlower

Adventurer
I owned a 2008 Tacoma and a 2008 FJ. I liked both.

As far as the FJ, yes it has a small gas tank and range is limited. I found the visibility to be "ok". Not great but not as bad as some people claim.

I think the FJ is okay for no more than 2 people. If you have a family or kids, then NO.

I loved driving it. Good power, great road manners, very comfortable. Regrettably I didn't get to test it out off roading.

I went back to a pick up because I kayak a lot and its just so easy and quick to throw a kayak into the back of a pickup.

In conclusion, FJ's are good SUV's and I think you would be happy owning one.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I have an FJC and a Defender 110. The FJC is not a very good overlanding vehicle because it is too small inside. It is impossible to sleep inside, which I believe is an overlanding necessity for cold, rain, and security events. The interior space cannot be configured as a live space similar to a mini-RV as a Defender 110 or a LandCruiser can be.
This is a requirement for me, too. Done the tent thing, didn't care for it. When I travel with the wife we have the teardrop but when I am by myself I sleep in the truck.
To the OP: Seeing as how the 4runner has pretty much the same running gear as the FJ, and can often be found at a significantly lower price, you might consider that. The only "overlanding" advantage the FJC has is better approach/departure angles and a slightly shorter wheelbase. Other than that the 4runner and the FJC are pretty much identical mechanically (except that the 4th gen 4runner has multi-mode 4wd, which the FJC does not.)
I think the FJC is a great platform for a "single purpose" vehicle, whereas the 4runner is more of a "jack of all trades and master of none."
That's not a bad thing, after all, most of us don't spend 24/7 "overlanding." A vehicle that can also get groceries, take the kids to soccer practice or pick up a load of wood from Home Depot is a true multi-purpose vehicle, and to many of us it's a necessity that our vehicle serve more than one function. Having seating for 4 adults, 4 real doors and 5 windows you can roll down with the touch of a button is pretty nice. And for the difference in price between an FJC and a 4runner you can upgrade the suspension and even the bumpers.
Of course, if a manual transmission is a requirement, you can't get a 4runner with one of those, sadly. :(

Hound

Sheepdog
Thanks guys. I appreciate all the feedback. Just to clarify, I already have the overlanding/ family rig squared away. I am just looking for a rig to run in the tight woods ( class 4 ) trails in vt and the couple hours of road travel that it takes me to get there. Would probably never have more than one other person in the rig with me at any given time. In fact, I would probably end up removing the back seat for additional space.

@Landy89: a good point about being able to sleep in the rig given certain circumstances. If the rear seats were pulled, do you think this would be any better/ more comfortable?

Thanks to all who have taken the time to share their experience thus far.

Arktikos

Explorer
I am just looking for a rig to run in the tight woods ( class 4 ) trails in vt and the couple hours of road travel that it takes me to get there. Would probably never have more than one other person in the rig with me at any given time. .

Jeep, Suzuki Samurai or Sidekick as previously mentioned. FJ is too much cash.

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
You mention the no longer produced FJC and the soon to be replaced Tacoma, why not split the difference and get a new 4Runner?

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Another possibility might be the Xterra. I believe they are a bit narrower than the FJC. Available with a rear locker and even a manual transmission if that's what you want. Cost would be considerably less than an FJC, too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94