Montero Gen1 Fire Extinguisher Mounts

Mojave Jack

As I prepare for my next run down the Baja peninsula, I wanted to have a fire extinguisher a little closer to me than in the back cargo area. There really weren't any good mounting options, so I decided that more extinguishers are better than having one big one in the back. I bought two First Alert FESA5 extinguishers, mainly because they are only 11 inches tall. Then I just used two pieces of flat stock to make a bracket across the seat frame on each front seat. That way both the driver and passenger have immediate access to an extinguisher. I also kept the 5 lb extinguisher in the cargo area, just to be sure.

31LNldC8awL.jpg
Bracket (sm).jpgDriver's side (sm).jpgPassanger side (sm).jpg

The FESA5 extinguishers are short enough that they don't stick out in front where I will kick them, or into the back seat where a passenger could kick them.

I used the factory mounting bracket because I like the way it protects the top of the extinguisher, if I should still happen to kick it, but in hind sight I'm not sure it will hold up to the bouncing, since it is intended to hold the extinguisher in a vertical position. I think I will cut the bracket and keep the top portion to cover the valve and handle, then replace the lower part of the bracket with two Quick Fist straps for security.

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    541 KB · Views: 15

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
Nice solution.
I agree about using the Quick Fist set-up, they are very durable.
This is also on my list of things to do...
Keeping the five pound ABC in the rear is great for around camp.
Now I'll have to inspect my Gen. III seats...

Mojave Jack

Thanks! It will certainly give me a little piece of mind. I briefed the wife on the setup, and told her it is her responsibility to get the second one out while I am using the first, then go and grab the 5-lb while I use the second. The 5-lb I have in the back is also an ABC, and I had the same idea about having it handy around camp, or if someone else's rig goes up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier