La Poile, Newfoundland : Try #1

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Lot's of great spots in Atlantic Canada.

Happy to recommend some great hikes, campgrounds and trails. Great areas for wilderness camping in Nova Scotia and double for Newfoundland.

Hey bad dog. is there any off roading, nothing extreme around cape Breton?

kojackJKU

Awesome, We blacktop'ed it this past sept, in a Nissan micra, doing the touristy stuff, Cabot trail, Bell museum etc, We liked the micra so much we are totally getting one now. White SR with red additives. plus im lowering it with wide tires for Mini type handling.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
Cool trip, have always wanted to get up there. It looks like a ground anchor would have gotten you winched through most of the bogs. How deep were they on average? Doesn't look like anything that would drown a vehicle, just kind of a hassle.

Also, what are the regulations for traveling in the backcountry up there? Without a network of established trails... it seems "bushwhacking" is the norm but this kind of travel is usually a big no-no in the USA.

bad dog

Observer
We are researching different types of winch anchors. Jim uses a type at work that may work out great

Up here in the "Great White North" there' still a lot of Crown Land. This is public land that anyone can use for non-commercial purposes. The general rule is "don't make a mess". Most folks try have as small an impact as possible. This doesn't mean you can't cut down a tree. It does mean that you shouldn't cut them down if you don't need to. By far the biggest issue is garbage. We haul out bags and bags of it each spring. If folks would just use the old "if you brung it in you can bring it out" rule, things would continue to look nice for our kids and grandkids.

Ridge Runner

Delta V
Up here in the "Great White North" there' still a lot of Crown Land. This is public land that anyone can use for non-commercial purposes. The general rule is "don't make a mess". Most folks try have as small an impact as possible. This doesn't mean you can't cut down a tree. It does mean that you shouldn't cut them down if you don't need to. By far the biggest issue is garbage. We haul out bags and bags of it each spring. If folks would just use the old "if you brung it in you can bring it out" rule, things would continue to look nice for our kids and grandkids.

Nice!

bad dog

Observer
Going back for another try in 2016

BREAKING NEWS!

4WDrive Magazine just published Part 1 of our trip in 2014.

Seems like a good time to let folks know that we're going back in July 2016

Anyone interested?

I6Q4H85omCB6Lam19J0DuB-0FMI0T-pEzDo0vn7zkPm62kJFIeBcONocvSCMZH05YoyJ=w800-h800-rw-no

2hba-d1Xo2ZxvBrq80libjIQ8qsRepPWuN5miwj2cc_R0bLO9mElKbPrUepiZV0POKgH=w800-h800-rw-no

bad dog

Observer
We are planning another trip into the area next year. We now know we can get in almost half way without much trouble. This will be our jumping off point in 2016 and is possible to get to without much drama. We have pre-selected a possible route by living on Google Earth for far too many evenings. In addition, we are making a number of changes based on our experiences in 2014:
- bringing a trailer to form the hub of our base camp which will move every 2-3 days after we have scouted/cleared a trail to our next camp
- More people/vehicles for extra help clearing trail
- way more food & water
- 2 Quads to scout ahead of the trucks so we're not burning as much fuel
- fuel run at the trip mid-point to bring extra fuel in to our base camp
- better comms (2 sat phones, CB repeater, CB base station)
- Google earth cached on ruggedized laptop
- heavy duty ground anchors
- additional chain saws & shovels
- more time

Tentative dates are Aug 2nd to 21st.

kojackJKU

We are planning another trip into the area next year. We now know we can get in almost half way without much trouble. This will be our jumping off point in 2016 and is possible to get to without much drama. We have pre-selected a possible route by living on Google Earth for far too many evenings. In addition, we are making a number of changes based on our experiences in 2014:
- bringing a trailer to form the hub of our base camp which will move every 2-3 days after we have scouted/cleared a trail to our next camp
- More people/vehicles for extra help clearing trail
- way more food & water
- 2 Quads to scout ahead of the trucks so we’re not burning as much fuel
- fuel run at the trip mid-point to bring extra fuel in to our base camp
- better comms (2 sat phones, CB repeater, CB base station)
- Google earth cached on ruggedized laptop
- heavy duty ground anchors
- additional chain saws & shovels
- more time

Tentative dates are Aug 2nd to 21st.

Awesome! I can't wait to see if you make it! this is an awesome adventure for sure.

zzz150

Adventurer
i am interested in the 2016 trip. got rid of my F150 and am back into something i can wheel, a 2015 JK! running a 2.5-3inch franken lift with Fox, RK, JKS & Teraflex bits.. i'm actually living on near Sydney on the Bras d'Or lakes until may then will be headed back out to the island in aug and if i can get all of my summer studies done early i can get there early for this trip. have a look at my thread;
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/140069-65-days-of-Canada-22000-km-s

djtc

Adventurer
We'll be heading to the island around july-aug but we'll be taking the northern qc/Labrador route (departing from Ottawa).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94