Body Lift or not?

bikerjosh

Explorer
So I was dead set (or so I thought) on doing a body lift on my new Montero. I have to say that with a OME suspension lift (shocks, and expedition springs in back), newly adjusted torsion bars to balance the height and 32 Dynapros truck seems pretty high.
Ground to bottom of the pinch welds is currently at 18.25" . Already have rock sliders I'm prepping to weld to the frame, but wanted to do a 1" body lift before installing them but am beginning to wonder if I need that extra clearance?

Thoughts?
mont98_zps7608f7ca.jpg

Thanks

Sabre

Overlanding Nurse
Are you happy with the tires? Happy with the clearance upon articulation?

No reason to send your COG even higher unless there's a compelling reason to do so.

The truck looks great.

jlocster

Explorer
Josh,
I was facing the same dilemma and ultimately decided that the suspension lift was enough for my overland oriented usage. Remember, the vehicle is fairly narrow as is, and hence tippy. I drove 10k miles last summer with a heavy rooftop tent on the top of the vehicle and was sure glad the truck wasn't taller. Plus, unless you plan to run 35s, the suspension doesn't flex enough to necessitate a body lift. Then again if you intend to rock crawl, you might want the extra height. In this regard, one advantage a body lift allows is that you can raise the gas tank. My 2¢.

BTW, truck looks great!

Dolomiti

Adventurer
Truck looks great. If you want a little extra, run 33" tires (though those 32" look good).

Did you remove the factory rack?

Last edited:

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
No need for a body life. Your rig looks pretty sexy as it is. I am very anti body lift. I have seen the brackets on a body lift break on 3 separate occasions. Dangerous.

nckwltn

Explorer
What is the distance from the ground, up through the center of each wheel to the wheel arch? you look like you have much more clearance than I do.

raysobi

Adventurer
Hey there!

It looks like you managed to perform the torsion-bar lift, sorry for the late reply.

To answer to your question, how are you going to use your vehicle? Over-landing? Off-road? Rock Crawling?

The way it sits right now, I think your car height looks great and it is ready for over-landing and off-roading ready and no need to do anymore lift IMO.

bikerjosh

Explorer
Thanks everyone.
Yep so far happy with the 32's but haven't had any off road experience with it yet.
Montero will be used mostly for overlanding/off roading w/the occasional rock crawling stretch thrown in.

@nckwltn I'll measure tonight, I cranked the torsion bars to raise the front about an inch to level it and do away with the stink bug look:ylsmoke:

Guess, I can finish prepping the sliders-:sombrero:

JamesW

Adventurer
I did a body lift on mine,couldn't fit the 35" tyres without it,didn't really want to do it,always thought they were for posers. It wasn't too hard of a job,but I had to remove the vac pipe bracket for the brake booster,the plug popped off my injector pump as I was driving down the road and the truck cut out. My intercooler pipes are a bit shot so it gets twisted a bit,and my heater pipes broke when i was on the other side of the country.

Your tyres might look a little small with a body lift,I certainly wouldn't go more than 2" though,stops being functional. Not sure how much extra leverage is caused by the extra couple of inches.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Many of us run 33's with a bone stock Montero, why do you think you would need a body lift in addition to a suspension lift when you are running smaller tires?

Last edited:

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I'm running 33" KM2's with no body lift, and no need for one. There is very little articulation in the upwards direction, so there's no rubbing anywhere. I personally would only consider the body lift if I was going to do the gas tank tuck, but that's not been an issue for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
camshaft700