255/85 Toyo MTs - Found A Deal

NCtrail4R

Adventurer
For those that are in the market..

Just ordered a set of 5 255/85 Toyo MTs for $198 each shipped. Found tires-easy on ebay (with great feedback) with a listing for $202 but they list them for a little less on their website. 5 tires shipped for $992.

There are several new treads showing up that looked interesting, but none of the new designs have 16" options available yet. Thought about waiting for the new BFG KO2 to show up, but the BFG options are spendy. Would have thought that the Toyos were out of reach, too, but found a good deal on them.

Will update on the experience once they show up.

Last edited:

ersatzknarf

lost, but making time
Good for you !

From what I have read, they are a good choice. Maybe the "Tire Meister" will chime in ;)

There is a new Toyo coming out called the "R/T" that is supposed to be between their A/T and M/T, but it won't be out for a while.

Looking forward to seeing what sizes are available for that one...

255/85R16 is a great size. Wish I could run it, but my gearing just won't allow it :(

Need a really tall and skinny tire, but the closest I can get for a commonly available size is 315/75R16.

Awaiting your updates ! ! ! :D

Howard70

Adventurer

ersatzknarf

lost, but making time
Hi Howard,
Actually, I am running 35x10.50R16s right now, of which the closest I can get for commonly available tires is the 315/75R16 size. It's the 4.56 gears that won't let me run the 255/85s and have any top speed left :(

Hello Frank:

Do you run the 315/75r16 successfully with your gearing? If so you shouldn't have any trouble with the 255/85r16. The 255's are actually slightly shorter than the 315's http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tirecalc.php?tires=315-75r16-255-85r16

Howard

[diesel powered...]

Howard70

Adventurer
Hi Howard,
Actually, I am running 35x10.50R16s right now, of which the closest I can get for commonly available tires is the 315/75R16 size. It's the 4.56 gears that won't let me run the 255/85s and have any top speed left :(
[diesel powered...]

Hello Frank:

Makes perfect sense - I'm usually thinking of tires & gearing in terms of underpowered vehicles for the desired tire diameter! It would be a new problem to have power & gearing that kept me from a tire diameter by limiting top speed!

Howard

NCtrail4R

Adventurer
Tires shipped quickly - showed up today. Ordered early on Tuesday morning from their website and they shipped the same day - delivered on Thursday. Process was painless. They sent an email after they shipped showing when shipped and when they expected delivery along with tracking numbers for all 5 tires. Great communication.

NCtrail4R

Adventurer
Here are a few pics of the tires..

The euro rating is actually better than I expected based on reading another post. The 255s perform better in the wet than the 245/75s that were compared in the other post, and are a little quieter..
DSC_0260.JPG

DSC_0266.JPG

DSC_0267.JPG

Compared to my worn 285/75 Duratracs on my Xterra
DSC_0268.JPG

Off to get them mounted tomorrow. 5 tires is a tight fit!
DSC_0275.JPG

Last edited:

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
Glad to see another Xterra on 255s :) I just put a set of 255 KM2s on mine a few weeks ago... love them!

ersatzknarf

lost, but making time
Hi Howard,
Thanks for your understanding.
Yes, it is actually a bit of a frustration...
Too expensive to go back to taller gears :(

Would love to run 225/85s !

Hello Frank:

Makes perfect sense - I'm usually thinking of tires & gearing in terms of underpowered vehicles for the desired tire diameter! It would be a new problem to have power & gearing that kept me from a tire diameter by limiting top speed!

Howard

NCtrail4R

Adventurer
Got em mounted up yesterday. Have read some reviews saying that the tough sidewalls of the Toyo MTs made for a rough ride, but I'm not feeling it. They certainly aren't any more harsh than the Duratracs (also E rated) which weren't much more harsh than the stock tires.

I think a bigger deal than needed is made of the difference in the ride between C, D and E, when the difference in ride between the different ratings is pretty subtle. Of course I may change my tune after spending a couple hours on rough washboard gravel roads!

Need to get an alignment since the tires are a little taller than the 285s but the ride is smooth, noise is better than expected, and they look great. Luckily I opted for the lifetime alignment through Firestone a few years ago! Planning to get offroad in a couple weeks - will update afterwards.

1stDeuce

Explorer
Evidently you got THE sweet deal, as the same tire is now listed on their website at $279/tire... Pays to search and find deals like these!!
C

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94