OME BP-51 Suspension coming 2015

turboale

Observer
That is expensive for 2.0s... I paid 800 for a custom pair of icon 2.5s on my Raptor. They aren't adjustable shocks (just height) but what are the specs on the kings?

racerjb

Observer
Their internal bypass looks different then that of a King which is more of a needle. This OME bypass looks external of the piston but still inside the shock. So, it looks way more involved then just a 2.0 shock like icon, fox, etc.

1 Bored Clerk

Explorer
The Industrial Design (the look) of these are pretty awesome. Stone guards for the rear shock shafts is a no brainer. I have no idea why this is the first time someone has bothered with this. Motorcycles have been using these for decades! The rebound and compression adjustment is nice but I question how easy it will be to adjust the fronts being buried under the springs like they are. Especially when the spring is compressed (smaller gaps) when the weight of the vehicle is on it. I hope they turn out to be awesome...and designed/tuned for heavier applications like expo rigs fitted for travel.

CodyY

Explorer
The Industrial Design (the look) of these are pretty awesome. Stone guards for the rear shock shafts is a no brainer. I have no idea why this is the first time someone has bothered with this. Motorcycles have been using these for decades! The rebound and compression adjustment is nice but I question how easy it will be to adjust the fronts being buried under the springs like they are. Especially when the spring is compressed (smaller gaps) when the weight of the vehicle is on it. I hope they turn out to be awesome...and designed/tuned for heavier applications like expo rigs fitted for travel.
Raptor has very similar stone guards from the factory

aequitas3

I'm a truck…
That's not too bad once you convert from Australian to USD:
Shocks $475
Coil over assembly $730​

Note that this is for EACH unit / wheel though, not a pair.

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
Help me out here: aside from being able to adjust the settings, what is the benefit for our very limited ifs? I love gear as much as the next expo'r, but I just don't see how this would help me at all. The adjustability is even lost on me as my front end never changes in setup. My Tacoma is setup and regularly used off-road, but it just can't match a solid axel capability. Sure it goes where I want it, most of the time, but compared to my 80 Cruiser, the limited travel of the ifs has it bob and bounce like a cork on a troubled sea. That's mostly geometry, not spring / shock specs. So what's the story with these impressive looking bits?

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Help me out here: aside from being able to adjust the settings, what is the benefit for our very limited ifs? I love gear as much as the next expo'r, but I just don't see how this would help me at all. The adjustability is even lost on me as my front end never changes in setup. My Tacoma is setup and regularly used off-road, but it just can't match a solid axel capability. Sure it goes where I want it, most of the time, but compared to my 80 Cruiser, the limited travel of the ifs has it bob and bounce like a cork on a troubled sea. That's mostly geometry, not spring / shock specs. So what's the story with these impressive looking bits?

Bypass baby, bypass. The BP51 has a large piston (51mm) and more importantly bypass tubes in the outer walls extrusion to allowing fluid to bypass the shocks piston and creating variable dampening. So for small movements it has less dampening i.e. "soft" and for large movements it goes through steps of increasing dampening whereas a normal shock has the same dampening throughout it's entire range of travel. This greatly eliminates or in the case of many overland style builds actually eliminates any want, need and desire for a air bump or similar dynamic bump stop device. In short, better ride and handling.

The adjust-ability isn't so much something you would do for different trips so much as allow you to dial in your preferred compression and rebound versus a one-size-fits-all approach that has to cover so many different vehicle setups and driver preferences as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94