Palomino SS1251

socalctcamper

Observer
Hello fellow Expeditioners and pop up truck campers...
I'd like to know who has had or still have a Palomino. I'm considering the SS1251. Any thoughts good or bad would be greatly appreciated. My 2nd choice is a hard side model HS6601. With a 1/2 ton Silverado those would be my limit. I plan on some wheel and tire upgrades as well as some suspension mods.

Thanks

>>>---WW---->

I have a 2002 Palomino 1200. Absolutely love it. The biggest problem I have found is that when the top is down you had better be careful of that foldup back door when you get out. I have scalped myself several times. OUCH!!! Other than that, I can't think of one single problem. I have mine on an F-250 short bed. And it handles the load with no problem or alterations.

sleepywheel

I used to have a 07 1251SB and had the same problem with the fold down flap at the rear of the camper. My wife banged her head into the folded down edge a couple of times and I decided that I didn't want that to happen again so I sold it really cheap. Having said that, I believe that the new Palomino's don't have that fold down rear flap any more. I liked the camper and it worked well for us.

socalctcamper

Observer
The new models don't have that problem. The one piece door is awesome. I love the fit and finish of it compared to the Northstar which was my first choice but the Northstar 650sc doesn't allow for a 3rd bed area. So the fiancé said the the SS1251 in he spring ater the wedding. Wooohooooooo. I'll add Ac, electric jacks, 2nd battery, solar and a roof rack.

socalctcamper

Observer
With my trailer behind it I'll have additional storage. I plan on upgrading the axel on the trailer and raise it up a bit so it's leveled with the mods I'm going to do to the truck until I get the Palomino SS1251.

>>>---WW---->

I have a 2002 Palomino 1200. Absolutely love it. The biggest problem I have found is that when the top is down you had better be careful of that foldup back door when you get out. I have scalped myself several times. OUCH!!! Other than that, I can't think of one single problem. I have mine on an F-250 short bed. And it handles the load with no problem or alterations.

Got tired of bumping my head! So, I got one of those swimming pool noodles and cut it the same length as the width of the door. I cut a slit lengthwise in the noodle and placed it over the edge of the folded part of the door. Now when I hit my head, it is on the foam noodle rather than the sharp/hard door edge. WALA! Problem sloved.

sleepywheel

socalctcamper, have you looked at how the canvas folds up when the top is lowered? The older ones required that you do a three round trips around the camper to tuck in the canvas. That was a tiresome job everytime I wanted to take a run into town.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz