SUBURBICON, Urban Escape Vehicle.

mike the welder

Adventurer
I hate drilling holes. I made some templates for larger holes and use my plasma torch to cut holes when I can, but it's a little though on holes less than 1/2.
I checked out diy4x's site and already made a list. Called the guy about the diesel 2500 and he took a deposit from a guy, but he's gonna call if the deal falls thru.
If not I have my eye on another mint 1500 2wd that looks like it just came off the showroom floor with 113k for $1500.

Dratwagon

Adventurer
I hate drilling holes. I made some templates for larger holes and use my plasma torch to cut holes when I can, but it's a little though on holes less than 1/2.
I checked out diy4x's site and already made a list. Called the guy about the diesel 2500 and he took a deposit from a guy, but he's gonna call if the deal falls thru.
If not I have my eye on another mint 1500 2wd that looks like it just came off the showroom floor with 113k for $1500.

Thats a start, Kert over at diy4x will help you out and talk you through it, if you go this direction and need some help pm.

Dratwagon

Adventurer
The old brackets are out and the new ones are in along with the FF14 bolt with locker/
002-2.jpg

Looks much better now with the lift, it now sits 8" higher than a stock 2wd.
001.jpg

Dratwagon

Adventurer
Couldn't help myself from slipping on my 40s to see how it looks with real rubber on it.
010-1.jpg

Now then what could I do about the departure angle.
008.jpg

Going to take the weekend off and run down to the Off road Expo and get some ideas and possibly some more parts.
003-1.jpg

Dratwagon

Adventurer
Got a lot of great ideas at the expo that I would love to try, picked up some pats but the best was the great deal that I got on these diff covers from RuffStuff, they are 3/8" thick and very well built.
008-1.jpg

Dratwagon

Adventurer
This weekend I was able to take out the interior and start measuring and marking.

005.jpg

cut the bottom of the rear flat, I'm looking at staring with 13" for now, it should be about 1" shorter over hang than a blazer, I can go as much as 16".

003-2.jpg

I was also able to install the new bushings and 1" body lift from ORD.

004.jpg

Last edited:

Dratwagon

Adventurer
Got some more work done today, removed 13" off the rear and with a little more grinding I should be able to piece it back together.

001-1.jpg

Dratwagon

Adventurer
I have yet to find any builds where they bobbed a whole suburban, top and bottom so I will post up as many pics as I can so that the next idiot that try's this will have an idea what all there getting into.

You need to take your time and measure, measure and then measure again, have a beer or two, get out the grinder, have a beer and go to bed and think about it and then start cutting.
004-1.jpg

005-1.jpg

003-3.jpg

006-1.jpg

001-2.jpg

008-2.jpg

002-3.jpg

007.jpg

010-2.jpg

Now the real work begins, time to start fitting and welding.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles