My first Land Cruiser need advice.

DetroitDiesel

Adventurer
I want to thank everybody for their opinions and insight. I have decided that the best truck to fit my current needs doesnt need to be as nice or well built as a TLC. I am going to go with a Pajero from CAN. RHD version. Or build my own diesel. A diesel swap in a 80 is 10k on up. Or I can buy a Prado from CAN for like 8k and import it and thats a stock one. Im just not on that level yet. Thanks again and hopefully will see some of you at events or on the trails.

DetroitDiesel

Adventurer
I've been doing more reading over the past few months while debating what I like and what fits. I've determined that I like hj47 troopy, hzj78 troopy, hzj76 wagon, kzj78 Prado, and 100 series. Of course the VDJ76 and 79 are unattainable ($$$) so have to settle. I have done mountains of research. I am going to be buying in Panama or Europe. Leave the 25 yr discussion out of this. I'm going to purchase some land and incorporate an LLC in Panama. I've only found Aussie spec hj47 and JDM kzj78s I can afford. Eurospec hzj78 troopy I can afford, and then hzj76 wagons and 100 series bought in Panama I can afford. These are all 9-22 USD depending on vehicles and if shipping needed. For whatever reason they are half the price of OZ in Panama. A 2008 hzj78
wagon for 22k usd with 75k km in Panama is 40 in OZ. Nissan Patrols are the same way.

My question is are the ones I've provided links to 100 series or some kind of Prado? They just call them Land Cruiser. Are all the aftermarket accessories universal to the 100 series regardless if hdj100 or uzj100? Are there any differences underneath in the driveline affecting lifts, diff drop, armor, any of that? And will I be able to get parts and service fairly straightforward in the States? I asked my local Subie dealer if they could service the diesel if I imported one and they said they wouldn't touch it. Is it the same with a modern LC. I'm talking a 99-04 100 series not a 86 hj60 so that will mean machines to service. Do they Euros and Aussies that bring their modern diesels over fr trips get service at the dealer or a specialty shop? Or does it come to this... An HDT is what it is and a 100 series is everywhere. So the people that work on HDT motors should be fine right? And everything besides the motor is the same? Thanks for insight

Is this a 100 series or Prado?
http://m.encuentra24.com/panama-en/...ada-unica/4437760?search=keyword.Land cruiser

http://m.encuentra24.com/panama-en/...ente-auto/4434059?search=keyword.Land cruiser

Also any thoughts on a beauty like this?

http://m.encuentra24.com/panama-en/...4-puertas/4080256?search=keyword.Land cruiser

Thanks for any thoughts.

A show stopper right here. Guys selling their uzj100s for 25 with 175k miles on them here is reality check.

http://m.encuentra24.com/panama-en/...ll-extras/4425317?search=keyword.Land cruiser

With the money saved you can get creative for registering. $.02

Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
...A show stopper right here. Guys selling their uzj100s for 25 with 175k miles on them here is reality check.

http://m.encuentra24.com/panama-en/...ll-extras/4425317?search=keyword.Land cruiser

With the money saved you can get creative for registering. $.02

Yes and no... vehicles will always have a regional value and a US emissions/DOT/EPA compliant Cruiser is always going to fetch more than an identical vehicle without the same accreditation's. Not to mention the sheer cost of driving from Panama to the US (which is an absolutely fantastic drive I must add). Take that HZJ76 you linked for example, $22k in Panama, say $2k to get it here... easily worth more than that here in the US but it can't be legally registered so you'll have to roll on the Panama plates which are not an ideal option and only allow you to be in the US for 365 days. It's apparent you're working on subverting all that side of the game so I'll leave it at that. Find a true US/DOT/EPA legal HZJ76 here in the US and it will be worth $60k+, about that reality check :D

All of your links (outside of the HZJ76 that is oddly listed as an HZJ78) are in fact 100 Series. To answer your question on parts compatibility, suspension and drivetrain components are very universal throughout the global 60/80/100/200 platforms so you'll have no issue with diff drops, coils, shocks, etc. All readily available here in the US. I've I was going to bootleg a truck into the US, it surely isn't going to be an IFS 100 Series :D The HZJ76 is a far neater vehicle albeit a slug compared to a US spec 100 Series on the highway and many off-road conditions as well.

DetroitDiesel

Adventurer
Thanks Kurt. I'm pretty sure based in our PMs that you know where my head is at as far as me wanting what I can't have :) VDJ, HZJ etc. The whole registering it Panama and all that I'm fine with because it coincides with some lifestyle changes I'm making. I'm going to move to Panama full time in 5 years. So I'm going to be transitioning by going back and forth a bunch in the next few years. So the 364 thing won't be a hassle cause naturally I'll be spending a few months a year in Panama or at least outside CONUS. I was more making sure that while it is in the States someone like yourself or similar operations can service and mod it just the same as if it were a UZJ. You've indicated you can.

As far as the whole panacea of "bootlegging" "creative regulating" "grey area" it's something I'm familiar and comfortable with from a background in JDM Subarus and Skylines and grey market BMW. I'm not doing anything illegal in this situation by legally becoming a resident of Panama. Then legally importing for personal use on the 364. If it was just a situation of get this in the country somehow and then try to resell it or something I agree with everything you say. That would be a waste of time and money. I'm actually interested in moving to Panama and then taking overland trips back to the states so it all dovetails nicely. I also can drive a golf ball to Canada if the wind is right. So a weekend trip to Toronto and clears that. If it's was just to get past customs I would be trying to get that VDJ79 I want. We can dream lol.

So here's a question based off of a statement you made. You said a ifs 100 is not worth the hassle. What a about a 105. Would you personally based on knowledge and brand experience make the trade of solid axle instead of HDJT. Solid axle 1HZ or IFS HDJT? My needs are similar to the 100 you are building. More 4 high than 4 low. I leaned towards the hdj100 for that reason. I would rather ride from Detroit to Panama City with IFS eve if it means I can't make a couple off-roading side trips along the way. Once I'm established in Panama I'm going to go with a Patrol to build with 35s an stuff. Thanks again

Last edited:

zimm

Expedition Leader
A few months ago you were going to get a rhd 25yo truck from Canada because a 10g conversion was too much, and now you're buying a 22g truck on a Panamanian LLC, buying land and setting up residency, taking weeks and money to drive it up, and it still won't be legal next january.

And posting the grand plan on the internet...

Yeeeea... ok.

zimm

Expedition Leader
There's a nice lhd troopy for Sale on mud for months. Make a deal and have Kurt modify it as you need. Not only will you save money, but you can resell it later.

DetroitDiesel

Adventurer
I've read enough threads to know what you are about "Zimm". Try reading the initial post from September, then reading my final conclusion that for "beater" off road truck I can't pay 5 8 10 20. So I concluded that a rhd Pajero from CA was the best way to spend 3 grand. Then the post sat idle for 3 months while I researched more. Instead of starting a new thread I edited and bumped this thread.

As far as my grand plan or whatever you reference it's actually quite simple and relatively inexpensive so if your condescending tone is in regards to speaking about finiancial plans then you are greatly misinformed. Cost vs value is an age old debate. Ask yourself for what it costs to live in wherever you live are you getting full value in life? It's deposit 5 grand and buy some property or start a llc and you get Panamnian residency. It's about 2 grand all said and done to incorporate an LLC. Buying property is whatever you want to pay. So not sure how I'm speaking "grandiose". We all know that's you. I own cars worth way more than what I'm talking about, a 150 grand paid off house, 2 llc in Michigan, my dad passed away 2 years ago and left me a settlement, I have my Masters in Engineering, I have 12 years at Detroit Diesel, I buy and sell Subarus and Bmws as a hobby, my girlfriend is a Pediatrician. Since now you actually know something about me make informed comments.

This thread was started as a way to get info on "beater" LC. Well there's no such thing as a "beater" LC. So I gravitated towards a "cheaper" Pajero. Well if I'm spending 3 grand I decided to buy an f350. Well after getting the f350 and mocking up some plans and cost vs value I'm back at LC. I'm not buying an 80 or 60 or 40 so that leaves 100 or 70. So I'm asking for specific answers related to the 100 and 76. Not asking if you approve this message.

DetroitDiesel

Adventurer
I see no LHD troopy on sale on mud for months and I check everyday. On top of that it would cost a lot more than 15-18 for an HDJ 100 from Panama. The 22 grand HZJ76 is on there for reference not as an actual car I'm interested in purchase. The 23 grand 100 is also for reference. I'm looking to spend 15-18 on a decent HDJ 100. That's 2 months pay thank you. I'm not talking about G wagens.

DetroitDiesel

Adventurer
Straight off the Panamanian government website. Also family friends own the ferry in Bocas. So for 29 grand I can get an HDJ 100, and Panamanian residency an that's about the same as a nice 06 100. So don't assume or insinuate anything about me thank you. Just asking for advice specific to a model.

A law was passed in 2012 (Executive Order 343) to encourage certain foreign citizens to come to Panama.

It makes obtaining permanent residency in Panama easy for citizens of 48 specific countries that "maintain friendly, professional, economic, and investment relationships with the Republic of Panama."

This program is often referred to as the "Specific Countries" or "Friendly Countries" program.

Eligible countries include the USA, Canada, and many European countries. For a complete list, click here.

It requires one simple application and a deposit of at least $5,000 USD in a local bank account, plus an additional sum of $2,000 USD for each dependent. Of course if you are an American citizen it will be a headache to actually open a bank account. But it is certainly possible.

Applicants will also have to show proof of some meaningful economic activity in Panama, such as ownership of a Panamanian corporation (new or existing), a purchase of income-producing real estate, or an employment contract from a business in Panama.

Incorporating a new LLC in Panama in order to qualify is not particularly difficult or expensive, though the paperwork must be completed before the residency application can begin. This is an especially attractive option if you have an Internet-based business or a mobile source of income.

Last edited:

REDrum

Aventurero de la Selva
Very cool goals you have, been down similar path. I will chime in with a bit of interwebs wisdom, FWIW...

Having looked at over a 100 land cruisers and land rovers in Costa Rica and Nicaragua over the past 5, for potential resale in US, I will share this bit of experience. Shopping for vehicles in central america on the intent is like searching for a girlfriend on Xtube. Everything looks great in 2D but the more 3D things become the more dramatically different the real life experience is.

The used car business in central america is orders of magnitude more corrupt than the US. Panamanian trucks came up two nights ago at dinner with some Tico buddies (who buy/sell cars part time) they say Panama is the worst country to deal cars with in central america. Often the photos posted online are not of the vehicle for sale and photoshop use is as common as odo roll back. Lots of bait and switch. Not to say you cant get a fair deal, but expect to walk away from a few 2D crushes.

The prices for the 105s you liked seem very low to me for central america. Get out there and kick some tires, a lot of tires, before you solidify your plans for truck.

As for a non compliant 105 in the US for 364, don't count on it. I researched it quite a bit, albeit many years ago. It is a highly restricted permit limited to primarily diplomats and business relocation; and requires vehicle registered to non US passport. Tried to get a quad cab Defender 130 in on my moms' Irish passport, no way. Residency in Panama is not hard, citizenship is a lot of work.

I appreciate what your goals are, but if you drop the diesel requirement you may develop lower cost and lower complexity options. All my buddies here in CR run diesel trucks, after the novelty of owning one wore off, I'm happy to run petrol. (but thats another story)

DetroitDiesel

Adventurer
Redrum..
Thank you for the advice. The whole import thing is being over talked about. I don't care if I can't bring it back to the US because my plan to get residency is to then get citizenship. So ya 8 years later as an non US citizen I can do whatever I want with whatever truck I want. I most appreciate your advice on the 2D/3D. My plan is to take a trip down to Central America in a van and spend time actually in these countries talking to lawyers,consulate etc. I do take everything I read online only at surface value. If I can't do the 364 thing until I give up my US citizenship so be it, I still want a diesel 100.

You've given me a lot of advice on a few things on here and I appreciate it. I know the diesel vs gas argument is never ending. It's not a technical reason I want one but more philosophical. You've ridden in 100 and 105 what do you like better? Does the 105 feel like a tractor? You mentioned I put links of 105s I thought if it has a HDT it's a HDJ100 and if it has a 1HZ it's a HZJ105. I thought I posted HDJ 100. That's what I want and yes I am going to actually go down there and look at them and drive them. I could hate it. I've ridden and driven a UZJ100 and I like them I just want a inline turbo diesel. Not for any reason I can explain by using stats.

You've obviously had way more time on the ground in Central Am than me and have looked into getting creative. What about driving a UZJ100 down and finding a wrecked HDJ and making one truck? Or driving a tow rig down there and buying a diesel 100 and taking as much parts of it as needed to make it a non running/ whatever they call a chassis and loading that on a trailer and load all the parts in another truck and drive back and declare the chassis as a chassis an then declare the parts as parts and go home and make a puzzle? Thanks

This is from US customs directly...

"A disassembled vehicle that is shipped without an engine and transmission is treated for importation purposes not as a motor vehicle, but instead as an assemblage of motor vehicle equipment items. Such an assemblage can lawfully be imported into the U.S., provided any equipment included in the assemblage that is subject to FMVSS, but was not originally manufactured to comply with that FMVSS or was not so certified by its original manufacturer, is removed from the assemblage prior to entry into the U.S. Equipment items that are subject to the FMVSS include tires, rims, brake hoses, brake fluid, seat belt assemblies, glazing materials, and lamps, reflective devices, and associated equipment."

So remove all that and load the chassis on a trailer and ship all the other stuff and drive back.

Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Sounds like a ton of work. Find a clean 100 here in the US and do a motor swap if you must have the diesel option. Two trucks back and forth to Panama and the fuel costs alone would likely cover the motor swap locally.

As for the 105 vs 100 handling... the 105 is going to handle 100% like an 80 Series suspension wise. I spent some time touring Aus in an HZJ105, fantastic truck but a bit sluggish. You can turbo the 1HZ but things get a bit shaky with longevity and cost. The 1HD series is going to be better performance.

I'll second Redrum's concerns with CenAm vehicles, they often get really used and really patched back together. During my travels through central America I spent a great deal of time Cruiser shopping, Toyota dealerships, 4x4 shops, etc. Some gems out there but few and far in between.

DetroitDiesel

Adventurer
Thanks Kurt. I'm going to be driving down to Panama later this year in a cargo van to get in the country and learn and see things firsthand. I'll have to drive back anyways so towing a body while the removed parts are shipped isn't as complex on my end as it seems. If I was doing all this just to have the truck it would be silly but making multiple trips back and forth anyways so over the course of those trips I should have a fully assembled HDJ100. No doubt it will be double a UZJ in cost. Hopefully it's double the satisfaction at the end of the day.

cruiseroutfit

Have you towed a car hauler through Central America? Not something I would look forward to doing. Folks absolutely do it but it will surely limit your travel just to main routes. Sounds like you have your mind made up and a plan, I say go for it. Your absolutely right that the satisfaction of building one with your plan will surely net some high results.

Question, why travel in a van to Panama? Have you been to Panama previously?

DetroitDiesel

Adventurer
No I have not towed a car hauler through CA. On the way there it would be an overland trip and I'm using a e350 or mini mod type build to do this. On the way back towing a truck it would turn into business and the focus changes to main roads and safe passage. I would be towing a 18ft trailer and people tow those all the time including semis and such. I think it would be an adventure in and of itself just the towing aspect. Adventures come in many forms. I have not been to Panama previously but I have family connections in Bocas. My friends father moved there 10 or so years ago and operates and owns the ferry. I am attracted to Panama for the ancillary benefits of quick and easy residency, citizenship, tax breaks, business ops, etc. not necessarily any particular place or climate or demographic area. I can buy a place "up north" in Michigan and get no tax breaks or cool cars or adventures included or spend less and have a place in Panama. I'm talking a little fixer upper on some farm land out in the boonies but not in narco country. No gated community type stuff. As I said the van is what I decided on as my non 4x4 travel vehicle. If I'm making multiple trips I want cargo capacity. I own a quad cab dually Chevy diesel I could use also. I have a 1200 mile range in it with 125 gallon aux tank and a 16k 5th wheel on it. But that might get into the tricky maneuvering you are referencing an I'm towing only a shell with the motor and trans removed so don't need a 16k gcvwr vehicle. I know you have way more knowledge on this than me and you're a cruiser addict so you would understand the obsession with something that can be had only by creative means. It's also worth it in the end not a pointless endeavor because it's worth the investment of having top of the line stuff.

Do you think a better idea would be just pack light in the van and buy a crashed HDJ100 and strip it down and bring back what I need to swap? Then no trailer needed. Could do an extended e350.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior