My first Land Cruiser need advice.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Absolutely easier to bring back (or ship) a drivetrain and related parts versus the carcass. Just because the US border might not consider it a vehicle... doesn't mean you'll have the same result in the many other border crossings. I've not tried so I can't say it will be trouble bit the borders can be difficult enough with a vehicle you own (and are required to carry title for), explaining the carcass to them might me a totally different adventure :D

Panama is a fantastic place and I've enjoyed traveling there both as a destination and passing through. There are many ExPats, lots of English speakers and of course the US currency... very stable travel destination.

DetroitDiesel

Adventurer
I'm thinking haul the parts ship the carcass then. A swap is cool but a lot of work. I'll learn every nut and bolt stripping it myself then once it's time to reassemble I can rebuild/replace what's needed as I'm reassembling. All the electronics will be plug and play and that helps a lot. It's like a kit car at that point instead of having to completely rewire the V8 to the diesel. It also allows me to be less picky when choosing one knowing I'm taking it apart and can see anything that needs rebuilding instead of finding a garage queen at a dealer. It will all work it out. I looked at every 20 grand SUV I could find. Cayenne,touareg,LC,excursion and the best investment is a HDJ100. It's literally an adventure to make it happen and I look forward to it.

You said you've looked at cruisers all through Central America. What is the first country going south I will start to find HDJ100? And not at inflated prices. Anywhere before Panama? Thanks

Last edited:

DetroitDiesel

Adventurer
So I bought a 95 80 with lockers today for 1200. It runs and drives and lockers lock and has new tires. It has some cosmetic damage on passenger fender and bumper. Very minor. It was too good to pass up the deal. It has two tiny rust spots on the tailgate and the running boards have a little rust. The frame is as black as the day it left the factory. No rusted bolts. Leather is no cracks. I'm starting a build thread. This will be my beater truck till I get my HDJ 100. I want to rebuild everything so going to have lots of questions. Thank you. Pics to come asap.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94