My first Land Cruiser need advice.

DetroitDiesel

Adventurer
EDIT. 1-14-14 SEE MY POST TODAY FOR QUESTIONS. THANK YOU

I am about to buy a winter/beater off road truck for camping in Michigan. So mostly max 4hrs drives and light off road two track etc. I own and drive Subarus and Ford idi trucks and want something full size SUV to be comfortable and go anywhere my Subaru goes and then some. I have done reading on here and the other big site and its seems the consensus is for my 3 grand budget range is the j80 like a 93 style.

edit- Im liking the fj60 85-87 manual trans. Thats my focus now.

I have found 91 and a 93 and I am asking for advice if its better to get the fzj80 that needs work and have a better product in the end or get the more road ready running 91? I think its a fj80 if I'm correct. I know the motor changed in 93. Then I have heard the 91 can have manual hubs and is a simpler designed motor. I know both are turds and gas guzzlers thats not a factor at all.
Its between a Discovery and a Land Cruiser so that I dont need any mods for off road other than tires. So here is two trucks locally I am going to look at the next few days. I found a 93 for 5 grand with 175 with the lockers and all that but its way too nice to scratch or dent or ruin the interior. So these are my two choices for potential currently. This is some highlights from the sale ads.

91 154k Cloth interior
$2900 OBO
New tires recently put on. Front bumper is sagging and some paint is worn off on the hood. Very little rust.

93 170k Cloth interior
$1500
93 TOYOTA LANDCRUISER PROJECT, NEEDS ENGINE WORK NEEDS PAINT NEEDS TO BE TOWED, DOES RUN AND DRIVE BUT YOU WILL NEED TO TOW IT HOME. THIS TRUCK IS A PROJECT AS IN "IT NEEDS WORK,".IT NEEDS NEW PAINT, THIS TRUCK IS IDEAL FOR BUILDING AN OFF ROAD RIG OR RESTORE, NO BACK SEATS THE PREVIOUS OWNER LEFT THE SEATS IN CALIFORNIA, THIS TRUCK SPENT MOST OF ITS LIFE IN CALIFORNIA SO VERY LITTLE SURFACE RUST ON FRAME AND OTHER EXPOSED METALS, AND ZERO RUST ON BODY, THE ROCKERS ARE SOLID THE DOORS ARE SOLID ALL SEAMS ARE RUST FREE,,,,,,,,,,,,,, , THE FRONT AXLE ON THIS TRUCK WAS REBUILT BY TOYOTA FOR THE PREVIOUS OWNER , A/C WORKS, HEAT WORKS REAR HEAT WORKS, JUST NEEDS TLC TO THE ENGINE AND I DO NOT HAVE THE TIME OR SPACE FOR IT AT THE MOMENT

Im throwing an alternate in there in the form of a 96 4runner 4cyl. 190k $1700 Needs ball joints on left side, clean interior, heat works,tow pkg

I found a 92 fj80 3hrs away and the lady says its a 92 with lockers and all I can find is that lockers started in 93. Its 155k, no front bumper and some minor dents around headlights, minimal rust. She says the diff locks came with it. Im trying to get her to define "came with it" as in when she bought it or when Toyota made it. Im not driving 3hrs if someone doesnt even know what they are selling. Its 2 grand though so Im gathering info.

Last edited:

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
My FZJ was far from a "turd", but I guess it's in the genetics of most people now that SUVs have to accelerate and drive like sportscars. The FJ80 will be slower than the FZJ80, but as you noted, far simpler to wrench on. The " engine work" needed on the 93 is probably head gasket related. The 91 has a few less miles and fresh tires. If the tires are a decent all terrain, that is +/- $800 and in my eyes would make that truck more desireable than one that needs unknown motor work. If it were my money, I'd drive the 91 and see what sort of shape it was in.

Of course 90% of people will say buy the 93 because of the 4.5 engine, but for a "beater/off-roader", I'd consider the 91. Link to some good basic info on the differences:

http://www.sleeoffroad.com/newbie/newbie100.htm

Rezarf <><

Explorer
I found a 93 for 5 grand with 175 with the lockers and all that but its way too nice to scratch or dent or ruin the interior. So these are my two choices for potential currently.

The lockers on this one make for a great off road machine. Also, I'd suggest buying the nicest one that still fits your budget, you
will enjoy it more, drive it more and chances are, take better care of it. I'd be all over an clean 80 with lockers for $5k.

Otherwise the 91 Fj62 is a classic that is only going to get cooler with age... And it's slightly simpler to work on.

e34croak

I too would recommend purchasing the 91. From what little information we have about it, I'd wager that it will be far less of a headache.

cruiserpilot

Adventurer
If the 93 is really that clean, as in minimal rust with lockers, that's what I'd do. The 91 is $2100 cheaper, but I expect it has a higher rust factor. Where you live would
be a significant concern. You can shop craigslist for tires, and have a better long term investment.

DetroitDiesel

Adventurer
If the 93 is really that clean, as in minimal rust with lockers, that's what I'd do. The 91 is $2100 cheaper, but I expect it has a higher rust factor. Where you live would
be a significant concern. You can shop craigslist for tires, and have a better long term investment.

The 93 is no rust and owned by a Lexus master tech from the time it was turned in off lease. All oem replacement parts. He did something with the trans cooler or relocated the lines or something I can't recall his exact words but something about the lines go bad and needed to be relocated maybe the power steering lines or the the trans cooler lines. It was a brief conversation. It has that switch that has rr fr all that and it has the tow package.
Heres the thing though its so clean like eat off the seats clean and I have 2 dogs that are goig to be with me just destroying the leather. I actually thought I could pull the leather out and put cloth but then Im getting it for 4800 and starting the investment. I ruled it out because honestly this thing will not get used enough to justify this investment.
I honestly should be just buying a 4runner or Ranger truck or something but I do want something with tons of aftermarket support and its between a WJ,Discovery,LC80 because I want that more full size suv and out the box ready. I should have that guy post the 93 for 4900 on here it seems it would be gone quick. I was hesitating at 4900 but then I see similar ones for 7500-9 grand and aren't owned by a Lexus tech. I know its not a bad investment just not the right one for me at this time.
I know the lockers are a huge selling point are they similar in capability to a WJ that has Quadradrive but the selec trac swap? For a 5 grand suv thats what I was thinking at first because lx470 and fzj80 locked I was finding for 7500 starting, then this one for 5 grand popped up and I looked more into the LC80 and thought a 3 grand one and buy some tires be about similar to the WJ overland and none of the computers and electronics.

Last edited:

Flagster

Expedition Leader
Rust would be a deal breaker for me...engine is far easier and less costly to fix/work on than body
but then again you live in MI so it is likely to get bathed every year in salt...I used to live in Holland and AnnArbor and the salt took a toll on my poor old acura legend...

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I used to live in Holland and AnnArbor and the salt took a toll on my poor old acura legend...

That's why Acura Legends are made. To be eaten by rust while your pristine 80 series sits snug in a heated garage for the winter!

DetroitDiesel

Adventurer
That's why Acura Legends are made. To be eaten by rust while your pristine 80 series sits snug in a heated garage for the winter!

Lol. Thats why I have Subaru outbacks 96-99 as throw away cars. Im looking for a LC thats not so nice Im scared to use it although I can see myself buying a beater one then someday buying a stock garage queen.

I have 3 more leads on LC80 today. I found a 94 with lockers and 175k kinda rusty but priced right, a 97 with 220k that needs a motor but its some type of limited edition two tone leather and stuff and rust free, and a 93 with 148k lockers and rust and needs a motor rebuild and some body damage. All for 2 grand.

Does those two little buttons in the 97 next to the shifter engage the diffs? Is that what I'm seeing in the pics? I noticed it on a couple 96 and 97 but nothing like that on a 94 to 91. Its to the right of the transfer case its two separate buttons little squares.

Also I found a 92 and the seller insists it has locker that are factory. I said is it a switch like a headlight or a button they said a button. I said is it a 4.0 or 4.5 they said 4.0. So Im concluding its aftermarket lockers on a 92. Needs brake lines and the engine had low oil pressure and bent the crank. Im thinking it needs a rebuild anyways.

Last edited:

REDrum

Aventurero de la Selva
I cannot recommend going near an FJ80, an FZJ80 sure. I've seen too many people jump in on them because of low cost of entry, only to be very disappointed that they are so slow. Weight to HP ratio on par with a an old series land rover. Add in some armor and overland gear and Yugos will blow by you on hills. And, If you put anything bigger than 33s on on it you will need to re-gear to 4:88s if not 5:27s.

>1993 ******.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
The differential lockers are activated by a dial to the left of the steering column with "RR" and "FR" on it. The buttons down by the shifter are for a "sport mode" and OD off.

Only you can decide if the FJ has "enough" power vs the FZJ. If you find a clean FJ for the right price, consider a swap to a V8 in the future. A V8 (small block GM) will give you gobs of power over the stock six and would likely also improve your fuel economy. That's a win win!

Last edited:

DetroitDiesel

Adventurer
A guy is telling me a 93 he has has the lockers in the axles and the wiring harness under the dash and on the axles but not the switch on the dash to activate them. Is this possible or failing the sniff test? Thank you

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles