Let's talk about setting up your mobile rigs.

CrewServed

"That" guy
I got the license, I bought the H/T, learned a few things, picked a mobile radio, and am ready to pull the trigger on the required kit to make the install work.

I'm leaning towards an NMO mount in the middle of the roof of my truck. I've accepted the compromise that I'll sometimes have to take the antenna off the roof in order to fit in some places (i.e. garages, low-hanging vegetation) in order to get good rx/tx capabilities, and I think it's a fair compromise.

I guess what I'm looking for is some advice on how you all did your mobile installs. What would you differently? What did you do that you found especially useful? What are some other pointers and pro tips that you all can offer to a new ham doing his first mobile install? Did you build your own coax cables, or just buy a coax with connectors already attached and call it good?

So yeah, gimme the skinny! My intelligence will not be insulted, seeing as how my ignorance far outweighs my intelligence when it comes to this subject.

Dougherty03

http://www.k0bg.com/antmount.html Thats K zero B G. This guy is the unofficial god of mobile installation.

My personal opinion is that you cant go wrong drilling the hole and using a NMO mount in the center of your roof, that is the best it gets. You can get quarter wave VHF/UHF antennas that are in the neighborhood of 15 inches. You can also get an antenna that folds over like the Diamond NR77 series.

What type of antenna/radio service are you planning on mounting?

Last edited:

AlbanyTom

Adventurer
I'll second the pat on the back for best choice for an antenna location and mount. I just bought a new truck a couple of months ago, and am planning on doing the same thing, also with a 1/4 wave nmo antenna. I'll probably go with Larson, just because I've been happy with them in the past.

As far as the mount goes, I'm going to wimp out and have a commercial radio shop do the antenna install. The radio I'll probably put in myself. Only tips I have for that is to spend some time picking just where you want it to be. Myself, I want it below the dash area, where I can put something over it to hide it from view. This time I'm going to have a removable panel radio, with the panel mounted below the dash and the radio under the seat. That's just because I don't have the room for a full sized radio under the dash.

CrewServed

"That" guy
@Dougherty03: Not sure what you mean by radio service, and I haven't settled on an antenna, not yet. I am glad to hear, however, that I can use an antenna that doesn't stick thirty feet into the air above my rig.

@AlbanyTom: Thanks for the nod and the heads up. I haven't decided exactly where to mount the radio yet. The spots underneath the seats are all taken up. Previous owner really liked aftermarket stereo stuff.

CaliMobber

Adventurer
Good for you, nmo is the way to go. its scary but its a solid connection and best antenna setup. You can get diff antenna sized also. My buddy has a 5/8 wave for trips since its even better and keeps the 1/4 wave on around town.

Dont even bother making your own cables. most NMO mount kits comes with everything you need. Get the long super skinny wire, its amazing and worth the extra money

**** Make sure you get the proper size drill bit, Years ago on my first truck i was stupid and drilled to large of a hole hahaha. i was able to make it work with a home made adaptor.

http://www.aesham.com/cable-kits/diamond-antenna-c-213snmo/

Im not sure about the tundra but my ham unit is under my seat. Ive even seen them zip tied up inside the seat so Im sure you can get creative.

ghutch

Observer
Read thru K0BG website.....then again. The site is an encyclopedia on mobile installs. Run into a specific issue email Alan or post it on the mobile forum on QRZ he hangs out around that forum a lot. As stated before this site is near vain for mobile op guys.
Bonding is something I can speak to ..... It works very well to reduce noise and that increases you ability to hear. Follow Alan's guidelines in the chapter about Bonding. Don't forget the firewall bonding it helped me cut out some noise I had almost given up on! I used a test lead and headphones to touch and bond things to hear it I got rid of noise....timely but well worth the effort.
Wire size is something some folks overlook.....be sure you don't use to small of wire....measure the run and see what the voltage drop is. This is something the furnished wire leads with your radio may need attention depends on the run to the battery.
If you do a good mobile install.....you'll work as many, if not more stations than many base installs.
Good luck and good Dx see ya on the log. KF5VDX

verdesardog

Explorer
I have a 5/8 mag mount in the center of the roof, it comes loose it I hit an obstacle which in my mind is good! As for mounting the radio you might need to get creative. I used a piece of 2" fence post to make the foundation for my mount. You can barely see it behind the radio:

DSC_3205.jpg

Crom

Expo this, expo that, exp
I recommend not hard mounting the face. I use Velcro to secure it by the shifter, I can therefore move it around the vehicle as necessary, put it on the dash above the steering wheel at night, hold it in my hands to program it. I can even give the radio to a back seat passenger. All the cables reach. Much more flexible than a hard mount.

CaliMobber

Adventurer
I recommend not hard mounting the face. I use Velcro to secure it by the shifter, I can therefore move it around the vehicle as necessary, put it on the dash above the steering wheel at night, hold it in my hands to program it. I can even give the radio to a back seat passenger. All the cables reach. Much more flexible than a hard mount.

Interesting concept, I guess if you can cleanly control the wires that would work ok.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
My feeling on mounts is slightly different than Crom. I get the desire for flexibility but I think anything in or on your truck should be fastened well. The bouncing around or accidents are no time for junk to become missiles and that seemingly light faceplate will at the very least hurt if it smacks you in the noodle and worse if it ends up under a brake pedal or something. Same reason I think antennas should be bolted on. A magnetic base can do some damage when it flies through someone else's rear window.

Crom

Expo this, expo that, exp
Interesting concept, I guess if you can cleanly control the wires that would work ok.
Works great, tuck wires in between seat and center console. You don't see them, totally serviceable and completely portable. I can even move my dual speakers outside the drivers side door. Mic connected with Cat.6 patch cord reaches too. I can set up a table outside my truck and everything reaches, mic, remote head, speakers.
My feeling on mounts is slightly different than Crom. I get the desire for flexibility but I think anything in or on your truck should be fastened well. The bouncing around or accidents are no time for junk to become missiles and that seemingly light faceplate will at the very least hurt if it smacks you in the noodle and worse if it ends up under a brake pedal or something. Same reason I think antennas should be bolted on. A magnetic base can do some damage when it flies through someone else's rear window.
There just something to be said for sold mounts but i think Velcro is stronger than you probably give it credit for. My mounts have never come loose while off roading. ☺

C5dad

Observer
I have the face screw mounted in my truck and transciever mounted under my center seat - never could get Velcro to work right. For me, it is one less thing I need to worry about should things get tipsy turvey!
Chris

CrewServed

"That" guy
Some neat ideas about the merits of solid mounts and temporary mounts. I love the idea of a Velcro mounted control head, but you've gotta use the right stuff. I've worked with some Velcro in the past that my agency sourced for a very particular use. Both the adhesive and the Velcro work like champs, and I think it'll hold up well, even if I end up shiny side down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz