The 'BuDozer. A 1994 Dodge Ram 2500 12V CTD.

MCObray

Explorer
Hello y'all. This is my 1994 Dodge 2500 12V Cummins Turbo Diesel Regular Cab... phew, got that all out. I've had a slew of vehicle's of the years, which include a Jeep Cherokee XJ, Subaru Outback, and a few Toyota 4Runner. I recently accepted a position pursuing an industry that I have a passion for. With that, I need to a pickup that could tow upwards for #8,000. I was looking primarily for a Diesel and limited my search to a 5.9 12V/24V Cummins, 7.3 Powerstroke, and 6.6 LLY/LBZ Duramax. I had a car to use after selling my 4Runner at the end of August, which was great! No rush, i'm definitely going to find the one. Well that changed shortly, because the car I was using a primary Daily Driver (80 miles from Salem to Oregon City) had to go back to its owner, my girlfriend, because she landed an awesome position that would make her commute. So on the day she was slated to start at the job, this gem popped up in Hillsboro. I checked it out and a few hours later it is sitting in the driveway.

Stats:
1994 Dodge Ram 2500. 107,xxx miles :).
Regular Cab
12V Cummins Turbo Diesel
Rebuilt Transmission @ 99,xxx miles.
Tonneau Cover
3rd gen Dodge Ram wheels
Aftermarket exhaust
Cold Air Intake
Injectors
Pillar Gauges
KPD Kit installed

I originally was after a bone stock pickup, something I could make my own, but I can say this pickup is modified to my likings so it works in my favor. The primary purpose this vehicle will serve is a Daily Driver (80 miles a day), as well as towing Malibu Boats and Axis Wake Research all over the state of Oregon! I dig the size of this pickup, as it is still nimble enough maneuver off the pavement well. I have some plans for the bed in mind, but nothing solid quite yet. Stay tuned!

1994 Dodge Ram 2500 12V CTD. by Bucky Images, on Flickr

MCObray

Explorer
It has been a great first week with the Cummins. I towed roughly 150 -/+ miles and felt like nothing was even back there. The airbags in the rear certainly helped. I priced out some tires yesterday and think I narrowed it down to two choices; Toyo Open Country AT2 & BFG All Terrain 2, once they arrive. My current set is getting load and certainly need a Load Range E for all of the towing that I do. Snap from yesterday.
2015 Malibu Boats Wakesetter 22 VLX. by Bucky Images, on Flickr

MCObray

Explorer
I would go for the Toyo's, the BFG's get a have a rap amongst cummins owners.

That's what I have been reading... I've always loved my BFGs, but it certainly is a different game with how much weight my pickup weighs, as well as a #5000-#8000 boat attached to it.

mortonm

Expedition Leader
What size is on there? 265 70 R17?

What are you planning for size?

I would go for the E rated

MCObray

Explorer
What size is on there? 265 70 R17?

What are you planning for size?

I would go for the E rated

285/75/17. I am planning to stay at the same size, and absolutely will be going for an E Rated tire. I'm pretty set on the Toyo Open Country AT2s. I had them on my Black 4Runner and they were awesome!

the kid

Juke Box Hero
another tire to look at is the nitto terra grappler. i have run them on my 4runner, and at 5300-5400lb its not a light truck. i ran the e rated tires on it and loved them smooth, quiet, long lasting, great traction, good in the snow and ice and wet(they did poorly in mud though). i put about 45k on them and they still have about 40% tread left. i only took them of because i went to 35s and a mud tire -still have them in my garage if you are needing a set before you can make up your mind or want to spend the price on new.

i love the truck though. again let me know if you want the name to that shop in Newberg

Last edited:

Halligan

Adventurer
Get the Toyo's. The 285/75/17 is considered an Extreme size which has a more aggressive sidewall and deeper tread depth vs. regular AT2's. I have them and like them.

MCObray

Explorer
another tire to look at is the nitto terra grappler. i have run them on my 4runner, and at 5300-5400lb its not a light truck. i ran the e rated tires on it and loved them smooth, quiet, long lasting, great traction, good in the snow and ice and wet(they did poorly in mud though). i put about 45k on them and they still have about 40% tread left. i only took them of because i went to 35s and a mud tire -still have them in my garage if you are needing a set before you can make up your mind or want to spend the price on new.

i love the truck though. again let me know if you want the name to that shop in Newberg

Nah, I'm pretty brand loyal... yeah one of those guys, and will stick with a BFG or Toyo. I checked and the new BFG T/A KO2 does not come in the flavor that I desire... Toyo's it is!

What's the shops name? Thanks for stopping by guy.

Get the Toyo's. The 285/75/17 is considered an Extreme size which has a more aggressive sidewall and deeper tread depth vs. regular AT2's. I have them and like them.

Everywhere is backordered! Aside from Les Schwabs, who want $1301 for a set. I've always dealt with Americas Tire/Discount Tire and have had great experiences, as well as exceptional prices. I'll call them back in two weeks, which they think they can get a set in, and go from there. 4WheelParts has them for $253 a pop, so i'll definitely inquire about price matching in my area. I'm stoked for these guys!

stolz

Adventurer
Awesome! Stoked you made a new thread.. Although you could have thrown the cummins into the 4runner haha :)

MCObray

Explorer
Awesome! Stoked you made a new thread.. Although you could have thrown the cummins into the 4runner haha :)

Thanks! I just love this place too much. Heck, I could've purchased a Geo Metro and I would've still thrown a thread up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz