LED Light Bars; Post Up Pics

WagoneerSX4

Adventurer
Switched from my 4 Hella 500FF's to a curved 20" LED light bar. I did it for power consumption reasons but I'm loving the larger light spread compared to the Hella's. My car isn't physically able to out drive the throw of this light bar, so I can manage to lose that extra 50m of light that the hella spots gave me, but I gain light EVERYwhere instead of just light down the road. Great for off roading.

High beams vs. LED bar:

I'm planning on putting a 40" on the roof (for no specific reason as the 20" light bar is plenty, it'll just basically be for fun) with some door frame brackets so it doesn't interfere with my roof rack stuff. Anyone have any suggestions on universal mounting brackets? Any issues with whistling or wind noise with that specific location?

one thing I will say, if you are going to put one on the roof be ready for some extreme wind noise!

I must have missed this the first time I read through the thread. Looks like you have it mounted above the roofline, I wonder if where I want to mount it, just below the roofline, if that would cut the wind noise down. There's probably only one way to find out, not many people slapping light bars to the roof of their SX4's!

Last edited:

Slicky72

Adventurer
I would think so unless you were driving something like a van , you will experience some glare from roof mounted lights.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
depends if you mount your lights far enough back that your roof blocks the light to the hood. I would not mount up there. On the bumper is ideal.

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
I went with a 50" double row LED bar from Eyourlife. Its a cheap Chinese off brand, but it works well. It just didn't come with any sort of wiring or mounting instructions. It did come with the post mounts, but I didn't want to drill into the roof of my Bronco. Eventually, I found a set of gutter mounts that would fit the bar, made by Kahl Kreations. The thing that sold me on their mounts was that while they do clamp to the gutter, the weight of the bar is supported by the roof of the cab, so it won't be tearing the gutter off with each bounce. There is a thin piece of foam rubber to protect the paint so I won't have to worry about that either. I did have to drill in order to keep the wiring clean, but I like how that turned out as well.

The bar I chose is a combination bar, which has both spot and floodlight reflectors in it. The center section is a spot, focused forward, while the two sides are focused outward. They really light up the area. Are they as good as Rigid? No. But is the difference in price worth it? Not really IMO.

Lightbar all lit up.
attachment.php

Fancy wiring circuit inside my center consol. I don't have the switch mounted up yet, since I plan on redoing all my old switches soon. I just have it kind of mocked up.
attachment.php

Ordinary headlights.
attachment.php

LED Light Bar.
attachment.php

Mount with wire into roof.
attachment.php
[/QUOTE]

Boost Creep

Adventurer
phantom 2 and a hero 4 black. i have no idea how far away i was but if you want to try and estimate scale, you can see the size of the vehicle in the pic. its a 03 yukon. no idea how long they are. don't care to put in the effort to figure it out. lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz