2012 Global Expedition Vehicles U500 with Safari Body FOR SALE

acropilot

I have reluctantly decided to sell my GXV Safari U500-NA. Great care and diligence has gone into building this rig. My family plans have changed and hence the sale. Please see the website below for complete information on this once-in-a life time purchase:

www.gxvunimog.com

All of the specs and pics are shown on this website. The new hydraulic winch in the front is not shown on any of the pictures. I will update website shortly. If you are seriously interested and have any questions, please feel free to contact me directly.

acropilot

The website was just recently put together. A lot more comprehensive pictures will be uploaded shortly.

Thank you for the correction on spelling.

LoRoad

Adventurer
Doesn't 181" wheelbase exceed the suggested manufacturers length? Thought I had read that somewhere.

Doesn't 181" wheelbase exceed the suggested manufacturers length? Thought I had read that somewhere.

A careful reading of the U500 bodybuilders manual suggests that a carrier bearing with a 3rd U joint be used on the rear driveshaft when wheelbase is extended >600mm (23.6"). In otherwords, wheelbase >177.6".

Charlie

LoRoad

Adventurer
A careful reading of the U500 bodybuilders manual suggests that a carrier bearing with a 3rd U joint be used on the rear driveshaft when wheelbase is extended >600mm (23.6"). In otherwords, wheelbase >177.6".

Charlie

Brings up the question, eh? Wonder if this one has had that done to it?

foxhunter

Adventurer
It is my understanding there are only three U500's in North America such as this one that were imported with no Variopilot, no CTIS, and no Hydraulics. I have one, there is this one, and I believe Mike Vanpelt currently has one. When looking for a u500 these days, you can't be very picky about what comes on them, as they are not easy to find. Initially, I was disappointed mine didn't have those things on it, but having had mine a couple years now, I rarely miss the CTIS. Not having hydraulics took about 800 lb of useless weight off my truck, and I never intend to take mine anywhere I need right hand drive. I now feel those are just three less things to worry about that can break, so I consider that a plus for this truck. Also,I believe the 3 trucks were imported to be used by fire departments as tanker trucks, hence low miles. Mine only had 14k on it when purchased.
I know this truck and the owner, and frankly, I don't want to say anything that will help him sell it because I know he is going to miss it greatly and I will miss not having him and his truck along with the rest of our unimog group on our now annual wilderness trips

GR8ADV

Explorer
Having never used ctis before I don't know how well it works. From the standpoint of a guy who does not enjoy the air up and air down process I would sure be looking for that option. Anybody have any feedback in how well/fast etc ctis works?

Having never used ctis before I don't know how well it works. From the standpoint of a guy who does not enjoy the air up and air down process I would sure be looking for that option. Anybody have any feedback in how well/fast etc ctis works?
My CTIS has always worked. It is very nice. I can deflate to 40% in about 40-60 seconds, and re-inflate to 100% in about 6 minutes for both axles.

Charlie

rblackwell

Adventurer
Brings up the question, eh? Wonder if this one has had that done to it?
My GXV/U500 has 181" wheel base also, AND the extra bearing to support the longer rear drive shaft. It was built before the
vehicle being discussed and was added as a matter of course by GXV (that is I did not have to read the Mog manual and ask for it).
So I would be surprised if this vehicle does not have same.

foxhunter

Adventurer
My CTIS has always worked. It is very nice. I can deflate to 40% in about 40-60 seconds, and re-inflate to 100% in about 6 minutes for both axles.

Charlie

Yeah, that definitely beats the 20 minutes it take me to re-inflate all 4 tires,and you get to do it all from inside the cab. On the other hand, I have seen people running with theirs disconnected because they leaked, and one person told me he was running at highway speed when his went out and all four tires deflated. Still, when I have to lower and then raise pressures with any frequency, I wish I had it. Not having it also makes me less likely to lower my tire pressure if I think I can get away with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94