New to me 1998 Gen 2.5 - strange occurence when going into 4low w/diff lock

parobellum

Just got my 1998 Gen 2.5 w/diff lock and adjustable shocks. Drove it home 140 miles today with mildly troubling shaking at speed, though this is likely due to the fact that the tires are all different brands and the fronts are 30x9.5x15 on one side and 260/70r15 on the other, with different wear patterns etc. I knew I would need new tires right away.

When I picked it up I ran it through the gearing and it as fine.

After my trip, sat for two hours, drove to store, then I put it into 4LC and turned on the diff lock and moved forward onto a curb . I got a lot of smoke coming out from under the right rear tire - like a lot of white smoke. The exhaust ends behind the right rear tire (another fix to be made). Back in 2WD, even 4HI - no issues driving back or any smoke.

Any thoughts? Maybe it was just exhaust smoke? No particular bad smell like oil burning etc.

Also - what is the "hold" button for?

Thanks

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
You definitely want to get some matching and balanced tires on there, mine had shaking that went away after a good balance. As for the smoking I have no idea.

drfreema

AEV JK350
After my trip, sat for two hours, drove to store, then I put it into 4LC and turned on the diff lock and moved forward onto a curb . I got a lot of smoke coming out from under the right rear tire - like a lot of white smoke.
When the smoking started, were you going around a corner on pavement with the diff lock on at speed?

parobellum

Thanks. No - I pulled two feet forward. Maybe it was just the revving of the engine to get over the hump sending exhaust up by the tire.

nckwltn

Explorer
Thanks. No - I pulled two feet forward. Maybe it was just the revving of the engine to get over the hump sending exhaust up by the tire.

if you valve seals are going/gone, you will get that puff of smoke when you hit the throttle after sitting idle for a few mins...

start the car up, let it idle for 5 mins... have a buddy hit the throttle up to 3k rpm or so, while you watch the tail pipe. Smoke then is a clear indication that your valves seals are not doing so well.

Jay Ayala

Explorer
I just wanted to add to this thread. If you see smoke, you will want to make note of the color. If your valve seals are worn out, nckwltn is right about that puff of smoke.

White Smoke = Evaporating Coolant
Blue Smoke = Burning Oil
Black Smoke = Burning Fuel

1964824_10202560023396283_1282410096_n.jpg

JamesW

Adventurer
I don't know if it happens In the states,but here you'll get water settle in the silencers,either from it just being atmospheric condensation or from rain driving into the exhaust,and from letting the kind of children that shove the hose pipe into the exhaust wash it :rolleyes:

Could be the valve seals though,especially if it happened as you gave it a rev

Hold button starts the box in 2nd gear,and stops it from kicking down

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94