Edlebrock Aluminum Head for 4.0L

locrwln

Expedition Leader
That would be cool. I have the "2006 with less than 50k" part, but I think the Banks Turbo keeps it from the stock part. :sombrero:

Jack

Jim K in PA

Adventurer
Interesting. I wonder if they will make any changes to the chamber or port profiles.

Hesco has not had another run of their aluminum head in quite a while. Theirs was CARB certified, but I don't think they sold more than a few hundred. That makes me also wonder why the Big E is going after a small, and dwindling, market.

Mine is available, but is an '05 and 140k miles.

Eaglefreek

Eagleless
Interesting. I wonder if they will make any changes to the chamber or port profiles.

Hesco has not had another run of their aluminum head in quite a while. Theirs was CARB certified, but I don't think they sold more than a few hundred. That makes me also wonder why the Big E is going after a small, and dwindling, market.

Mine is available, but is an '05 and 140k miles.
I think the biggest issue with the Hesco was the price. On an AMC forum I'm on, a guy works for Edelbrock and here is a quote from him from this thread http://theamcforum.com/forum/aluminum-head-for-40l_topic47259.html.

"A couple of years ago Edelbrock was looking at doing an aluminum head for the 4.0L but the project was backburnered for other projects. Well, the engineers are talking about this project again so we'll see what happens.

Some of the goals will be to improve flow potential, and make it affordable. If anyone has any constructive input, ideas, or concerns regarding an aluminum head for the 4.0L, you can send me a PM and I will pass your input along to the engineer in charge of the project.

Edelbrock always likes to hear what people want when designing a new product."

Jim K in PA

Adventurer
I traded email with Troy Hooker at Edelbrock on the alloy head project. Now, he IS a sales guy, so take this all with a grain of salt, but they plan to introduce the head at SEMA in November, and release it for sale by 1 January 2015. We'll see.

I have the Hesco head in my Jeep and while it works ok I suppose, my take is that it did absolutely nothing for power in my Jeep and that it was the cam swap that delivered instead. We ended up milling the head and using custom pushrods to get something out of the head and frankly, I went around the bush with Hesco on this until they stepped up and paid for it. What did them in was the fact that I had access to a dyno for before and after testing. While they took care of me, the head wasn't worth the $1800 I paid for it and they ended up changing their advertising on it. They originally claimed a 30hp increase simply from bolting it on LOL.

As for Edelbrock.... If they can bring it in cheaper, actually deliver more power and get it CARB compliant, more power to them.

Jim K in PA

Adventurer
This head may be a winner. Initial release uses stock valve sizes, but slightly smaller combustion chambers. Link.

Still no word on price that I have been able to find. If they can get a complete head out for $1000, this is a winner.

edeljeep21.jpg

edeljeep22.jpg

edeljeep4.jpg

Jim K in PA

Adventurer
The claim is an increase of 25hp and about 20 lb-ft per the 2015 catalog. (Page 10). This is presumably on an otherwise stock 4.0. The real gains will come with a full stroker application. A bigger bump in compression and a bit more cam, along with a good header (and another half liter of displacement from the stroker crank) and I would expect to see 260hp and 330 lb-ft or more. That is what I am aiming for with my stroker build. I actually care more about the average torque increase from 1000-4000 RPM more than anything else. Peak HP number are for racing and bragging rights, and little else.

Zeep

Adventurer
I always thought of the big 'E' as a intake company. Makes me think this head should be introduced with a flow matched intake system.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior