LR3 Pre Purchase History Check

kbahus

Adventurer
I am delivering my 80 to it's new owner on Sunday and while I have been shopping for a 100 series the LR bug has bitten. I have driven a couple LR3's now and they are growing on me fast. For my new purposes it seems like an ideal vehicle and will make a great dd, family adventure rig, and light tow vehicle. I am looking at the 05-07 range all with right at 100k. My question is how do I go about looking up a Land Rover's service history (dealer)? I know Carfax shows some dealer history, but will it show complete dealer service records? I would hate to bother the dealer every time I find a truck I want to investigate, but I do want to find a truck that has had some of the major repairs out of the way.

Cheers!

unseenone

Explorer
Usually the seller or dealer should be able to provide the service records. If they are sketchy on producing those I would be skeptical. There is on central place to obtain them. It should be a good vehicle for you, the usual stuff you want to check on are diffs, suspension bushings, compressor, appearance of water leaks in the past. All switches and latches should be in good working condition. Check the 2nd row moon roof for cracks, and under carriage to see how much rust and dents and dings exist.

You can expect you will end up doing some maintenance and repairs, but all in all it's a great vehicle. A rear locker is a plus, so is Nav, Rear AC, and so on.

GORM

Adventurer
You want to see the vehicle after it has sat overnight. Look for drop in height indicating air leaks. I just got an 2008 and this forum was very helpful in me diagnosing the root cause (front air valve) and luckily correct for free but there are numerous things that could go wrong. You can also look for the air compressor needing to lift the truck to standard height (same as above if you can't see the night before). What I've read anything more than 1/2" means at least something is wrong. I'd say I was lucky.

Hopefully that is helpful. Good luck.

jerdog53

Explorer
I would have no problem taking it to a dealer for a pre-purchase inspection. Would hate to buy something without it and a year down the road regretting it especially a Rover. I would also look at the 08 and 09 before something older unless price is the key factor.

GORM

Adventurer
Suggestion: give some real thought to your desired wheel size. I have HSE with 19" wheels though I got nice leather and nav system. Know with 19" you tire choices are limited andceirher you'll have to trade down to 18s or haves friar set of 17". In some ways I would like to have spent my first $1k on bumper or roof rack than to change wheels.

I thought that '07 and on has updated engine to the earlier models so I was always looking for '07 HSE or newer.

I really love my truck; warm up to having to deal with some quirks. I have found this forum invaluable to being comfortable as I learn the LR3 habits. Everyone I have found here, well explained.

kbahus

Adventurer
Thanks for all of the tips! I have spent quite a bit of time researching and think finding the right vehicle with a good service history is going to be critical. The one I looked at the other day just didn't have enough known history to make me feel comfortable about it although it was a fairly competitively priced 07.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior