So SkiFreak

Maninga

Adventurer
Hahahahaha!!! I would like to meet the bookie who's take a bet it's finished inside a year

Really like to see it up and ready/done also

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
Firstly... thanks for asking.
I must admit that I look at what has been done on the truck so far and shake my head that it has taken over three years to get to where it is now. To say that the slow progress is frustrating is seriously an understatement.
Unfortunately life gets in the way of your plans sometimes. If I knew then what I know now I doubt I would have started this project. It probably would have been simpler to just buy something that was already built.
This year alone my wife has spent nearly three months in hospital and the rest of the time she has been recovering between hospital visits. Being her carer means that my focus is often not on building the truck, and that is especially true this year. It's all about priorities. As much as I would like to dedicate more time to working on the truck, sometimes that just isn't possible.
All that said, I am pretty much done with everything below the floor level now and I am hoping to start on the camper body in the very near future. I still have a couple of technical issues that need solutions and I need to draw everything up, but as soon as that is done I will be starting on making the moulds for the various parts of the body.
I gave up setting time goals a long time ago, as this just frustrates me when that time comes and goes by. When will it be finished? Your guess is probably as good, if not better, than mine. My answer is normally "when it's done".

Gatsma

Adventurer
Owen- Looks like your fellow Aussies like to keep you awake! I've read what's going on in your life via your site, and can only wish your wife AND yourself good health,WHATEVER you're doing! It's actually good you started this project, as it allowed you to focus on something besides all else going on in your life. A pleasant diversion, if I may. Carry on; it'll come along as YOUR time allows!

Gary

1aquaholic

Adventurer
Ahhhh do I feel your pain and I don't have the very important medical situation you do, I have however said all those same words to many times over the last 6 months. Hoping for the best for your family.

j

P.S. Thanks for your website great stuff in there, hope you don't mind if I steal some ideas.

LeishaShannon

Adventurer
Has anyone actually managed to build one of these things to their initial plan and schedule?

We massively underestimated the time required in both design and build phases. I can't tell you how many times i've spent hours pondering where the most trivial part should live, how it will work, how it will interact with other parts that may still be 18 months away from being installed, will it affect the weight distribution, etc. Then you order the bloody thing and find out its not in stock, or operates differently and you start the process all over again. Outside contractors inevitably take three times longer than initially quoted and then you spend double that again "fixing" their work.

Throw in a few life events and its little wonder "when its done" is the only sensible answer.

westyss

Explorer
I thought when I saw the title "SO SkiFreak" it was in a term like.......... he did what? Oh thats "SO SKIFREAK" like.

westyss

Explorer
Has anyone actually managed to build one of these things to their initial plan and schedule?

We massively underestimated the time required in both design and build phases. I can't tell you how many times i've spent hours pondering where the most trivial part should live, how it will work, how it will interact with other parts that may still be 18 months away from being installed, will it affect the weight distribution, etc. Then you order the bloody thing and find out its not in stock, or operates differently and you start the process all over again. Outside contractors inevitably take three times longer than initially quoted and then you spend double that again "fixing" their work.

Throw in a few life events and its little wonder "when its done" is the only sensible answer.

Yeah everyone thinks it can be done for way less and shorter time period than the other guy, and Ill throw in also all the "must haves" and "will haves" in the build, but until you actually get started and complete some portions or all of it you realize why those manufacturers are charging as much as they do. Which in reality no one would R&D, design, build, advertise,sell warranty etc for any less themselves with the amount of work required to pull it off!

Maybe a bit of a different tack during construction which has its good and bad points is to get a shell mounted on a truck then go use it. Then get a kitchen done in there then go use it, etc until its complete............ the big benefit of that is it keeps you motivated to continue to labor away infinitum(if thats a word)
Bad part of that is it will most likely cost more. Also this could be good or bad but maybe along the way of using it a change in the design for the better will arise.
Not that I recommend this way (like I did) as I am still not finished with my build either.

I think personally Owen is enjoying the build process and we enjoy reading about it and if he gets done too soon we will have nothing to read!?

ozzyfishaman

Adventurer
So Skifreak

Hi,I was only having a lend of you mate :coffeedrink: we all know of your issues, and we all feel for your wife and yourself,but it is good sometimes to have a laugh at ones self.
But you have to think of the :victory: at the end of it all, and I am sure that this forum and all the great members helps with your sanity and pleasure.

Cheers John

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
Hi,I was only having a lend of you mate
I did not read it any other way John.

I am sure that this forum and all the great members helps with your sanity and pleasure.
Sanity??? Please explain... what is that again???

Thanks for your website great stuff in there, hope you don't mind if I steal some ideas.
Actually, my website is a useful thing for me too.
When doing self builds it is very easy to get tunnel vision, or think that something is brilliant when it's actually not. By forcing myself to sit down and write articles about how I do, or did, something makes me have to think "so why did I actually do it that way". There have been numerous occasions that while writing an article I have realised that the way I had done something was not the best way, or that in one particular case, that it had potential engineering issues; this being my rear water tank bracketing. It was only after sitting back and collating all of the information and pictures that I determined that the existing design was not meeting the specifications I was saying it should meet (being able to resist 20G in an accident). I changed my design accordingly as a result of writing the article.
I often find myself in situations where I really want to discuss my technical problems with other like minded people. Forums like this can help, as can emails and having a chat on the phone, but nothing beats two people looking at the same problem and throwing different ideas at each other. My wife is in no way technical, but this also has its advantages sometimes, as she sees things that I don't because she looks at things totally differently than I do. On occasions she has offered a very simple solution to what I had considered a a serious technical problem, so it's definitely not just technical people that can help you through problems.
Having said that, I really wish there were more technical resources in my location, but there isn't, which is a real pain sometimes.
I should also take this opportunity to thank the many people on this forum, with which I have communicated with privately over the course of this project, for their input, ideas and solutions. Too many to mention, but you know who you are.
As for stealing ideas... don't we all do that? It's definitely better than trying to reinvent the wheel.
If I did not want people to know how I did things I would not put stuff on the Interwebs. :)

Hmmmm.... well, definitely not me!

I think personally Owen is enjoying the build process
Enjoying... sometimes, not so much. As things continue to drag on, motivation is probably the biggest challenge. I am pretty sure that others doing extended self builds will understand this issue.
If I'm honest, I am a destination kinda guy, not a journey guy. I expect I will be much happier when it's all done than I am while doing it.

...and we enjoy reading about it and if he gets done too soon we will have nothing to read!?
I don't think you have too much to be concerned about there mate... I am still questioning if that light at the end of the tunnel is the exit or an oncoming train!

--------------------------------------------------------

Throughout life we all face situations that are not ideal. We deal with the situation at hand and move on; what else can we do?
As has been mentioned, this build does sometimes serve as a distraction to other things. However, I would be hesitant to say that it is a form of stress relief. :Wow1:

Iain_U1250

Explorer
I admire you commitment Owen, you are a lot like I am, time is not as important as getting it right. I'm quite content to take it apart and start again if something is not quite what I want. I just realised that I started mine in 2009 looking back at the start of my blog. So you have a couple of years to go :)
http://unimog-adventure.blogspot.com.au/2009/07/we-have-just-bought-unimog.html

I have seen so many builds the get close to being finished any the last bit is just thrown together and then you see hear about then either starting a new build "better" truck or report fixing all the broken bits they got wrong in the first build. Or worse still, people starting out on a big adventure that turns into a nightmare with broken truck in a remote area, and they have no idea how to fix even the most basic things. Journeys are cut short, destinations skipped as they stick to the sealed roads because whilst their original idea was to travel far off the beaten track, the reality of an under prepared vehicle keeps sinks in after the first major breakdown and then 4wd and diff locks are not used for the rest of the trip. I reckon most know where they did something a bit dodgy before they set off but carried on regardless so they could finish, but very few actually admit this. Some have just no knowledge of how little they don't know.

I am doing what I can to get mine right, and there are a few things I will re-do until I'm happy. I just bought another engine - a factory 170hp unit and high speed axles, with my intercooler and new turbo, that motor will be good for over 200hp. Quite a big step backwards as far as progress is concerned but not one I will likely regret. Going from 160hp to over 200hp will make things more pleasant on the road. Factory high speed axles will be better than the converted axles I have at the moment. I will rebuild the new engine with new rings, bearings etc, get the crank and piston/rods all balance and maybe some ceramic coating on the skirts and valves etc. This is a upgrade I was not planning on doing, but given the opportunity, I might as well do it properly.

I have predicted I will finish in December almost every year so far, still on track to finish in December :) Life gets in the way of building the truck. The past month I have only been able to put in about 6-10 hours on the truck, too many other more important things to do, but I'm hoping to get some time to put in some decent hours next month, maybe.

Keep on building at your own pace, and keep on doing things right. After all, you are one of the few actually building it yourself, rather than getting a lot of other people to build all the various bits. You will actually be able to say "I built it" rather than "I paid for someone else to build it" - there is a big difference. The things I regret on mine are the parts done by other people because I did not have the confidence to do it myself. Not doing the woodwork on mine is one example, I think I could have done it cheaper and quicker, including buying the fancy planers and wood working equipment. What I know now is that I could have gotten the CNC parts made, all the spray painting done, and whist, might not be to same exactly the same high standard, it would have been mine, and anything I did not like I would have done again until I was satisfied. At least I can say I designed and assembled most of it and know how it goes together and comes apart.

I will probably replace a lot of the stainless plumbing I did this time last year, and replace it will simpler hoses and fittings. I'm not happy with my set-up despite all the work I've done, and if I am not happy with the next solution, I will try something else until I am happy.

I hope your wife gets better, mine is on the mend and with only a few set-backs every now and again, is almost back to normal. When the most important person in your life get sick, nothing else matters.

Last edited:

gait

Explorer
sorry to be serious. And this is strictly non-judgemental. Its hard to allow for individual circumstances and I feel for Owen / Sharon and others.

Its possible to build to a tight schedule but most of the issues are "project management" and "design principles" not technical.

The most difficult is probably the understanding that as soon as something has been built its immediately obvious how it could have been done better. Easier said than done but if its not a show stopper move on. Rework of anything kills momentum. It will never be perfect.

Loss of momentum is a big enemy.

Ordering "just in time" usually means "just in time to be too late". Earlier is better, despite cash flow implications. Engineering drawings of consumer products, even if available, are always wrong in some respect.

Square corners are easier than round - the generalisation is "interfaces", which are where most of the problems and opportunities are. The chassis mounting system is an interface. The plumbing connection to the hot water system is an interface. The answer is to standardise, standardise, then standardise again. The fewer variations the better. The fewer interfaces the better. Also easier said than done. Sometimes "things" can be assembled into "modules" with fewer interface considerations.

Steps are the biggest challenge.

Minimise alternatives. An example is energy. When I built mine it was 12v and diesel heating cooking / no 240v or gas. Now I would do 240v and diesel heating. Another example is windows and doors with same fitting approach - I got it wrong and ended up with three different approaches.

Each new material needs setup.

Avoid fiddly bits. 18 hatches required 144 bits of Al extrusions, 18 hinges and one jig for fitting / alignment, 144 fiddly little screws plus sikaflex, 72 pieces of sealing rubber, 36 compression latches requiring holes cut, 18 doors and holes cut and finished, 100m of masking tape, 2 litres of acetone plus rags, etc. It all soon multiplies. Create an "assembly line" if it helps.

A box with a frame takes more bits and more time than a box without a frame.

Plan the build sequence and stick to it.

Allow for unit testing.

Allow for at least 1,000 cups of coffee.

A 6 month project becomes one year late one day at a time.

I had the advantage of a prior partial small bus conversion! :)

Gatsma

Adventurer
DO NOT APOLOGIZE! You've nothing to be sorry about.
Everything above should be committed to memory (if lacking in that, print it...)
The man speaks the TRUTH!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior