Darien Gap Crossing

haven

Expedition Leader
Cool. It's probably easier to cross the Darien on foot or with a bicycle than with a motorized vehicle. The folks who live in the rainforest use the rivers as their trails, and it's easier to fit a bike in a dugout canoe than a motorcycle.

Did they ride from the Colombia border to Bogota? That's no small feat in itself, given the crazy drivers.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
It's being done somewhat regularly (relatively speaking) on foot, bikes and motos. We discussed the crossing with the Senafront guards and the north end of the gap, the were up front with us about the crossing and willing to take us to the Panama border. Now I'm trying to find a FARC member that happens to be a Cruiserhead :D

Land Cruisers & the next 5 years... I'd like to think so :D

ripperj

Explorer
Pretty cool trip,but I don't get( and I used ride stand-up jet skis in huge pre hurricane waves and do some hard core mountain biking) the whole adrenaline junky- ride against oncoming bus/truck traffic and see how far we can push it thing. There are enough accidental ways to get your ticket punched, especially in places like they were in.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
It's definitely contrived and injected with a lot of made-for-video drama. It's also dubious as a proper bicycle trip as there's no way they rode much on those bikes, or had all the gear and supplies needed to be out unsupported for more than a night. Play this in front of an audience of bikepackers and I bet there'd be a lot of rolling eyes. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles