Nice New Zealand Hilux

Samson360

Observer
Thought this might interest someone.
http://www.toyota.co.nz/our-range/hilux/overview/willie-apiata/
f30f64240d4f5ebf8cdca3036f200804.jpg

Samson360

Observer
Hey I remember a time when the only pick-up worth buying over here was the 1990-95 single cab hilux and the US had all the best trucks, we didn't even get double cabs till '95. Nice now we got a bit more choice.

soonenough

Explorer
That's a really nice truck. Oddly enough I thought the exhaust stacks were pretty cool, even though I usually associate those with redneck 'truck-nuts' types since that's where I usually see them. When I first saw the picture from the OP above, I thought they were actually some sort of telescoping system holding up the roof rack. I also loved the 5-bar diamond plate toolboxes. I didn't realize Toyota offered OEM steel bumpers overseas either, that's pretty cool. I'm not a huge fan of the beadlock-look on the wheels, but I realize they had to do some stuff to bling it up a bit for marketing purposes.

I had no idea who Willie Apiata was, didn't realize he was a decorated SAS war hero in NZ. It's nice to see Toyota honoring a guy like that.

Couple more photos I found with a quick google search:

willieTruck-front.png

willieTruck-side.png

Last edited:

Samson360

Observer
Yeah he must've been like a kid at Christmas the day he picked that up. Good marketing move by Toyota and good to see a war hero getting a cool truck. Win win.

Arktikos

Explorer
They look too busy with all the graphics and add ons . Akin to a guy with tattoos and body piercings, with a shirt showing off his biceps.
Guess they're targeting a young audience-surprise!

robert

Expedition Leader
Brodozer stacks look retarded and I'm not a fan of the rear overbumper but I like the rest of it.

gfiero

Adventurer
I would settle for the access cab 4x4 hilux w/bumper, winch and lift....., But not going to happen here is it.

soonenough

Explorer
Toyota NZ posted the last video in this series on YouTube a couple days ago, there's some pretty good footage of the Hilux.

Samson360

Observer
Love the fishermans edition. Even better is all the KIT they have on it. The Sandblaster Baitcaster, and the Seahorse Kontiki are awesome innovative tech for the fisherman market. Not to mention over $6k in gear there.

Is it just me or does all that kit look like overkill for fishing, kinda like shooting a rabbit with a missile.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior