Expedition build. Looking for cargo box.

Hello. I'm wondering if someone can point me towards how I find a cargo box for the back of a Fuso, or Kodiak C4500/C5500, or some other 4x4 box truck? I've tried google with limited success, I think I'm not using the right wording. I would like to build a stealth "expedition vehicle" that basically looks like a delivery truck with large wheels.

I'm looking for a box no longer than 10-12ft, and no taller than 6-7ft. I'm also considering a utility body like the one shown here, and opening up the interior as living space.

Any help on how to find these aluminum boxes is appreciated, as well as if you have insight on how the walk-through from the cab to the box is done.

Thank you!

utility body (Mobile).jpg
expedition base (Mobile).jpg

Last edited:

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
I am basing my build on a used Uhaul box. Before I bought this truck I found several cargo boxes for sale on craigslist. They were all too big for my F350. You should find plenty that will fit your chassis. This box has a 10 foot long floor.

rlrenz

Explorer
Speaking as an ambulance owner, why not look at a used ambulance body? Acres of storage, inside and outside, plus they're built like a brick phone booth. It's common for the body (module) to still be very usable when the truck is totally shot, so there should be some available at a fairly reasonable price.

Speaking as an ambulance owner, why not look at a used ambulance body? Acres of storage, inside and outside, plus they're built like a brick phone booth. It's common for the body (module) to still be very usable when the truck is totally shot, so there should be some available at a fairly reasonable price.

I've considered the ambulance body, I just really prefer the look of a service body over that of an ambulance. I've shifted direction a bit towards looking for an e350, or possibly e550 (assuming I could find one) for the build. Something like this, then throw an aluminum, low profile service body on it, and swap the front out to 4wd. The e550 seems to be pretty rare though, especially the shorter ones, so it's possible I'll have to go with an e350, unless I want to chop the frame.

e550.jpg

cjken

Explorer
What truck is that in the second picture of your first post in this thread??
Looks very interesting!!

tgreening

Expedition Leader
What truck is that in the second picture of your first post in this thread??
Looks very interesting!!

I think the OP has flown the coup. I think he got his feelings hurt in another thread when folks weren't overly impressed by his mad 3rd year engineering student skills. :)

Too bad, i'd like to know the answer to your question as well.

John906

Try ironplanet.com

Utility box beds W/cap make excellent campers. I lived in one for a year 30+ years ago and the external boxes kept everything well organized and accessible. My favorite was the long narrow box over the wheel well that was the kitchen; the door when down turned into a long narrow shelf to hold the stove and provide prep space.

Try searching http://www.ironplanet.com A great resource for everything in the used truck market including military vehicles! :elkgrin:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles