NH Gen 3 build

NH Moto Expo

Adventurer
Well I went and bought a Gen 3! I thought I was going to get a Gen 2.5 but after hours of searching craigslist and cars.com followed by more hours reading this forum, I received some good advice and sound reasoning from Montypower and decided to get a newer vehicle with less miles.

So here it is. My new to me 2006 Limited. It was a one owner vehicle that never had a lien against the title. It was absolutely babied in it's former life and is so clean that I'm almost afraid to off road it....almost.

I took it to my dealer here in Keene NH for a look over and to flush the trans fluid. They all had to come out to the shop to see just how clean it was. I thought they were going to offer to buy it! The tough thing is that because I bought it from a dealer I'm unsure what maintenance has been done. Unfortunately no one fills out maintenance schedules anymore and the dealer said they would only be able to see maintenance done at their shop. So it has 73,000 miles on it and a clean car fax, the fluid that came out looked brand new so maybe the 60k maintenance was done. Is there anyway to tell if the timing belt had been changed?

IMG_0147.jpgIMG_0146.jpgIMG_0145.jpg

jhill15

Explorer
Thats a sweet looking rig! I think the only way to see if the belt has been changed is to pull the timing cover and look at the belt itself.
I would contact the dealer that you bought it from and get the number of the previous owner and personally ask them. Ive been called before from someone who was getting ready to buy the car I had traded in. However it may be dealer preference as to whether or not they can give that information.

On a side note if they had the 60k maintenance done at the dealer then the timing belt should have been apart of that.

ExploringNH

Explorer
I have always loved the looks of that generation. I am looking forward to your build up and maybe we can hit some trails together sometime. I'm interested in seeing how that thing performs in the woods. :)

NH Moto Expo

Adventurer
Thanks! I'd like to build this up for VOT 2015. My nephew completed it this year in his JKUR, with his dog "wrangler", you probably met him. I'm hoping I can do it on 33"s with skids and a winch. If I don't have the clearance I'll drag it through. I figure...if an excursion can make it the Montero should.

NH Moto Expo

Adventurer
Guess I never looked too close...but I just saw that the wheels are 17 inch. Hmmmm well that changes tire selection. Unless I get some 16" take offs from an older Gen 3. I saw some on craigslist for $200 or I could check out junkyards. I'd probably plastidip them anyhow so the condition of the wheels isn't that important.

NH Moto Expo

Adventurer
Not really very "EXPO" but I was wondering if anyone had any experience wiring a remote starter to their Montero. I have one from Crutchfield and it looks pretty straight forward, just wondering if anyone has any tips or hints. I know on my Audi it was almost impossible to do. VW/Audi have a very particular CAN BUS that is difficult to work with and very expensive if you get it wrong.

Thanks for any insight.

FullMonte

Adventurer
Hey NH! Glad to see another 06! I wanted a silver or white Monty but I couldn't pass up on me black beaut. I haven't really done too much to "Montenegro" nor do I have the knowledge to do so..went and currently in school for health care.. so I had my mechanic to do all the upgrades..
But feel free to ask me anything about our 06s, ill be def checking out your fixings!

NH Moto Expo

Adventurer
Update: I ordered my Lovell springs with OME shocks and will be installing those when they get here. So now I'm on the look out for tires. My stock wheels are 17inch alloys, but I think I'm going to switch it out to 16's. Now the question is...should I just get some OEM alloys off of craigslist? or some steel wheels from either Toyota or some black rock super 8's. I'm thinking I'll go with Toyo MT's in 255/85-16. I've heard very good things about this tire.

ExploringNH

Explorer
Update: I ordered my Lovell springs with OME shocks and will be installing those when they get here. So now I'm on the look out for tires. My stock wheels are 17inch alloys, but I think I'm going to switch it out to 16's. Now the question is...should I just get some OEM alloys off of craigslist? or some steel wheels from either Toyota or some black rock super 8's. I'm thinking I'll go with Toyo MT's in 255/85-16. I've heard very good things about this tire.

I prefer the factory wheels. Lighter than most aftermarkets, just as strong, and look good.

I think the Toyo is a good all around tire for this region, although I am not a fan of that size. I feel that a 285/75/16 works better for NH trail conditions, but you may be limited by space. The narrower tire will be easier to fit, especially with factory wheels. A 285 on factory alloys will probably require a spacer.

NH Moto Expo

Adventurer
The other reason I was thinking of going with a 16 inch wheel is that the tires on the stock 17's are in great shape and I would use them for those trips where I know it will be all highway. I drive back to Chicago to visit family at least twice a year so having a dedicated highway tire would be nice to have mounted and easy to slip on. I'm used to doing this with snow tires on my cars. I've always run my snows on a dedicated steel wheel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz