Teardrop style trailer

98dango

Expedition Leader
So my wife and I have tried many camping sleeping setups. At the end of the day we like the back of the truck one problem is I bought a truck because I need a truck. So we though of many different types of setups. This is what we came up with. I only have 3 months to build this before we move to our new place with out a shop for now. I am leaving 2 shops 4 sheds and plenty of room for a house of our own. So we need a place to store camping gear and I need my truck to haul things to build the house. The plan is to use a combination of box tubing and angel iron to build the frame and part of the sides. I also plan on independent suspension and 38" super swampers why because I have them.

Dose any one have pros or cons to this.

98dango

Expedition Leader
Yes there probably over kill the 4 tow rigs run 35- 40" rubber so it runs in the driveway. Making it Un usable I don't see that but if you can elaborate I'm all about new ideas. This is just what I have in the yard to use. If you look at it this way if the suspension turns out like I want I'll have 24" of ground clearance and it will be completely flat underneath.

matthewp

Combat Truck Monkey
Verdesardog probably has the quickest design to build. Mine is still finishing up with almost a year of construction.

jwiereng

Check out google sketchUp. It is free 3d cad software. I'd be eager to see what you have in mind

Last edited:

98dango

Expedition Leader
I tried downloading sketch up on my tablet and my I phone. I'll do the old school graph paper tonight.

You want to put independent suspension on a trailer? probably not a good idea. A solid axle and leaf springs will allow the most stable suspension. There is a reason the army still makes they're trailers like that. I have a M116a2 trailer and I love it.
c7d22f514b8e70c1db10ba9c4f65c8a8.jpg
e4d4317c5b9fbc1a3a939ab60cd72861.jpg
d8ea235e165985b623835ac8663e410b.jpg

98dango

Expedition Leader
So this is not an independent suspension trailer

ExpoTrailerFramecopy.jpg

I do understand what your saying but the military has not changed the basic design of the utility style trailer in 60 years. Not saying it's bad but there is always a better wheel. The 42 jeep is drastically different for the 2002 hummer so evolution is not bad. I see usefulness in simplicity but not always the best.

Last edited:

coop74

Old Camping Dude
put your door at the rear of your trailer. You can have a bigger door, and more room for the bed and potential for more and better windows.

Teardrops are so cool, having all that food smell and food at the rear of your trailer in bear country... not so much.

Coop

98dango

Expedition Leader
I'm not building mine with a kitchen like so many. I have thought of just a rear hatch type door. As far as windows we don't really want big windows in fact it may not have them to start with. I may start on the lower far me today but still room for changes.

coop74

Old Camping Dude
I'm not building mine with a kitchen like so many. I have thought of just a rear hatch type door. As far as windows we don't really want big windows in fact it may not have them to start with. I may start on the lower far me today but still room for changes.

Rear door is nice, In the end you will find windows with screens and a powered roof vent is a must (Air conditioner is better).

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
So wrong on the axle. The military stopped using straight axles on 5k trailers and below years ago. Working on 10K trailers now. That is why all the military trailers are for sale now. Cleaning them out of depots.

The US, Canada, UK and all NATO countries use torsion axles made by Dexter and Alko.

98dango

Expedition Leader
Well my axle will be built by me and if I don't like it I'll change. I plan to use a drop style torsion axle to maximize ground clearance. Yes I will be running a 38" tire but I will also tow this behind a Superduty on 35s a Tahoe on 35s and one of 2 scouts that can have 35 to 42" rubber. If I can't keep up with the toys what's the point.

Now on to the build.

With my frame I want to be able to put my multi mount winch in the rear if need be. I have been in situations where this could be useful. To make this as strong as possible I feel a single piece of 2x2 1\4 wall tubing would be ideal and then a skeleton structure off of that. Angel iron will be used for the sides and bracing to help keep some weight down. I also plan to build the structure of the tear drop out of angle and then use a mix of plywood foam insulation and plastic to build the walls. This should add strength and equal out the weight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste