The old 1999 build thread

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
I could measure a halfshaft and post it in a separate thread. Just need new batteries for my caliper. Yeah i only own a digital one.

Toasty

IMG_20160715_134841.jpg

Toasty

should be going back together real soon, Bullworker gave me a V6 transfer case and I'm going to build it into a 4 speed case to turn these silly big tires

evomaki

Observer
Very cool. I can't wait to read about this transfer case build. I guess the steering box and ball joints are up to it? Hydraulic ram steering anyone.

By the way, the Mighty Max probably rides terrible off road being leaf spring rear as well, along with a very light vehicle. I dont find the SAS Montero all that much worse over a stiff cranked up IFS on 37's.

Toasty

Yeah the Mighty Max was terrible offroad unless in 5:1 low range and crawling rocks and that was with good shocks. My Montero is like driving on a cloud of tits, i remember when i first got the remote res shocks. I took it off of a good 2' washout almost as if it never left the ground. Kevin and I have tuned his suspension for the Sierras as well, so far he's loving it.

Toasty

Drove it today, not 100% yet but I can at least drive it now.

Toasty

All back together and took it for a test run on a short trail. Does pretty ok but i may step back down to 35's, really needs an alignment too. Next modification is all new shocks!

Toasty

Yes I did, took a loss on the GX too. Just couldn't hang, the dash cracked for no reason, the springs just gave up after one wheeling trip and just made me angry. It was a nice car just not the best quality, regular offroad use would destroy it. The funny part is that Toyota guys talk the 120 platform way up but they just take it in the shorts on all of it's weaknesses, too much money to make it as good as a Montero is stock.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior