How do we feel about this one?

Byrnie Mac

Observer
http://myrtlebeach.craigslist.org/ctd/4652188382.html

Seems pretty clean and well kept. Says it has less than 100K on the clock which is incredible if its true. I have been keeping my eyes open for an older, clean 4Runner... I really wanted a manual, and that is the only thing this doesn't have on my list of requests. The issue is I don't really know a whole lot about the values of these things, so I am throwing it to the hive for advice.

Whether or not the price is adequate, I still plan on haggling if/when I go to look at it. I know for sure a used car lot didn't pay anywhere close to that for the truck and they definitely have wiggle room. Just wondering if this is something I should pay attention to. I really wanted a manual, and that is the only thing this doesn't have on my list of requests.

Furthermore, what are the common problems with these 4Runners, and what should I be checking for when I go look at it? How are these to work on? Prices of replacement parts reasonable? Would I need anything aside from the basics for a manual swap?

Thanks in advance!

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
$6995 for a 1995 4runner? :Wow1:

That is a 2nd gen, not a 3rd. They are asking about 3x what that one is worth. If the engine's in good shape, that's maybe a $2000 - $2500 vehicle. The 3.0 is a weak engine that is notorious for blowing head gaskets.

You can get a 3rd gen for less than that. And the 3rd gen is a superior vehicle.

Only a crackhead would pay $7k for that. Pass.

v_man

Explorer
I agree 7k is a bit too high , it has the typical rear end sag , and yea the 3.0 liter motor has a bad rep . If the dealer can show you the HG was replaced under the recall , than I would be more confident in the truck... also you can have the HG replaced yourself as Toyota still honors that recall to this day ...

All that being said I think 3vze motor hating is a bit over'blown'. Yea the motor is a dog , fuel mileage could be better , but if you take care of the motor , do the HG , then you can reasonably expect a long life ... I've had two 3vze's with over 250k miles

Good Luck !

Toiyabe

Adventurer
I also think the 3VZE hate is silly.

But beyond that, some things I immediately notice:

1) It's an automatic, not a manual as described.
2) Wires hanging under passenger side dash.
3) Cheap aftermarket radiator.
4) Dirty brake fluid.
5) Reman AFM, and recent tune leads me to believe someone recently chased/is chasing a driveability issue.
6) Duct tape EGR/PAIR intake tube repair. That's classy.
7) Decel dashpot is broken.
8) Those tires in that size are at least 5 years old, as they haven't been made in about that long (as per Goodyear rep).
9) Missing the rear wiper blade entirely.
10) Carpets show enough wear that I'd be a little nervous on the mileage.

All in all, there's enough wrong/sloppy about that one that I'd have some serious reservations about buying it. And, it's no more than a $4500 truck if it was as good as represented.

Mine has lower mileage, though.:)

Also, automatic climate control? Fail.
Jeez, that ad was written by someone who never saw the truck they are selling:
No luggage rack, no power seats, no overhead console, no fog lights, etc... I wouldn't buy on principle.

Last edited:

JasonRedwood

Explorer
I have had 2 3.0 v6 4runners. Both went over 250k as well. They had more power than the 22re's I have had. I hear the auto paired with the 3.0 is horrible at MPG and power.
That being said this 4runner is WAY over priced. I paid $6k for my 3rd gen 4runner from a Honda dealer.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I think the best way to think of it is to ask yourself "what else could I buy for that amount of money?"

I've seen 1st gen Sequoias go for that price around here. 1st gen Sequoia gets you twice the room, twice the power, and probably the same MPG, on a newer, better equipped and more reliable platform. ;)

Arktikos

Explorer
If you really must have a manual, keep looking. Sometimes you can find one of these with a new or newer engine, plus 5 speed, for less than that dealer is asking. In general, I would stay away from dealers.
It's a nice one though. My preference would also be for a manual, but have one of these with the auto and really like it. Other issues besides HG to look for are rear window function and front end component integrity. Idler arm, tie rods, axle seals, etc. Slow with not great gas mileage, but this is the case with pretty much all Toyota trucks.

eblau

Adventurer
I have had 2 3.0 v6 4runners. Both went over 250k as well. They had more power than the 22re's I have had. I hear the auto paired with the 3.0 is horrible at MPG and power.
That being said this 4runner is WAY over priced. I paid $6k for my 3rd gen 4runner from a Honda dealer.

True, my 3.0 although slow on the highway by todays standards seems to have a little more trail grunt than its "holier than thou" 4cyl counterpart. I have had much more confidence in my 3.0 than my 22RE truck, its broken down far fewer times. That 4Runner is way overpriced though.

juicebox

Adventurer
In a nutshell, "we" don't feel good at all about it.

Even if you could talk them down to $5K, you could buy a really nice 1st gen or 3rd gen 4runner.

2nd gen 4runners are the least desirable IMO, and they don't hold their value as well.

Toyotero

Explorer
As Toiyabe listed, there are a lot of simple and easily visible things wrong with the truck that haven't been addresses for the sale (missing rear wiper???).
My generally guideline is "When the things you see have been neglected, you can assume there is more than you can't see that has been neglected.
"

It appears to idle at 1100 rpm, although perhaps it is cold/fast idle.

The brake fluid looks very dark/black like it has not been flushed in a long long time. That means there is likely water in it (brake fluid is hygroscopic.. it absorbs water out of the humidity in the air) meaning possible damage upcoming to the calipers/master cylinder. As shiney as the master cylinder is, it may have been recently replaced... but the fluid improperly flushed? Who knows.

Where does the red (not fused, fire hasard) wire from the battery go? Likely to an amp that is no longer present?

92K miles in 20 years is possible, but I'd suspect a possible rolled-back odometer. The leading zero in this image seems a little out of line although it may simply be the angle of the photo.

I'm not familiar with this type of gauge set, but is the volt meter showing 15 or 16 volts (max 18)

1596_V2014060213545711.jpg

Those are really comfortable seats though.

I'd pass on that truck. Too questionable.

Ditto on this one, it looks like a much better purchase.
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/130869-1992-Toyota-4Runner-SR5-22RE-Colorado

Byrnie Mac

Observer
Dang that blue 4runner is crazy nice! I would love to get that, but Colorado is a bit out of my range!

By the way, everything you guys have said makes perfect sense. I'm not going to follow up on that one at all. And for what it's worth, I wouldn't pay anything near what that dealer is asking for it.

SIZZLE

Pro-party
I had a 2nd gen with the 3.0 and auto. If it had a manual, i'd probably still have the truck today. Hold out for a manual, the autos suck.

2scars

Adventurer
I would run the VIN at the dealer, they did a recall on the HG. If it wasn't done, walk. My brother has one in manual and it is fine. I had one in my 89 runner it couldn't be killed. They are low on power and all that, but they still have more personality than a Sequioa and way more aftermarket support. SAS? I got 16MPG in my 89 and only get 19-20 in my 03 Tacoma.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles