$25 HD DVR Dash Cam Video Review by AA1PR

AA1PR

Disabled Explorer
even though I have a GoPro I wanted something I could leave in the rig all the time

got this off of amazon for $25 including shipping in 3 days to my door

its not much but should get the job done

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
Keep us updated as to how well it works for you and the long term value. That price is very good.
I have had several of those type cameras over the years. Some very similar have been in service half a dozen years and still performing very well. I have had a couple of them fail recently. Once the built in battery goes, they are done. Careful of the power cable if it is the round connector. I had the center pin pull out of one. No problem to solder the wires directly and put it back in service.
We have pulled some really good stuff from them over the years.
Lately I have been trying the models with GPS. It really is nice to have a moving map along side the video. Great for where the video is taken :)
I still have not invested in one for personal use, but you have me looking again. Prices have really fallen.
I have a mount for my cell phone. That might be my next dash cam? It will activate with a voice command. That might be nice to record a trail ride :)

AA1PR

Disabled Explorer
HenryJ

nice to hear from you again, its been a while

yes on all the important details I do agree

was thinking of soldering the wires directly inside the unit to a power source somewhere in the future

guess its luck of the draw with these

I too use my cell from time to time

best regards & keep in touch, dont be a stranger

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
I am sure yours will last just fine. Firefighters can tear up most anything. They are bred to "cover the deductible" ;)
I am lurking, even if I don't post :)

robgendreau

Explorer
I love these cheapies. I'd also recommend the Vivitar dash cam/action cam at Walmart, the Vivitar DVR 787HD. It's not the best quality video, especially in low light, and I suspect it uses the same guts as most of these. But it comes with about five mounts (standard tripod screw) for all kinds os uses from surfboards to body to dash, etc, a waterproof housing, and a remote. It does dash cam (over writes as it fills), stills, and regular video. Produces AVIs. I've gotten them for $44 at Walmart; they're like $52 now.

AA1PR

Disabled Explorer
OK it has died & doesnt power up what so ever

what a waste of $$

& cant return it to amazon per their policy/rules

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
OK it has died & doesnt power up what so ever...
Boo. Thanks for testing. Less than a round of drinks at the bar :) I am currently testing a very small camera. Personal cam sort of thing.
The Dashcam at work has been doing very well. I am still on the fence with three or four that I would like to try in my personal rig. I think the GPS is what I want in it for sure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz