Mobile Base Camp Family Camper

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Hey GREAT job! Congratulations on finishing and it working out so well. Thanks for sharing pics.:bowdown:

John

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Man look at that thing! Cool design it addresses the typical issue of set up time especially with kids, has the bunk situation covered etc. Great design! Nice work.

Don't laugh but my recent 6 day trip with our Lifetime tent trailer resulted in some interesting developments. Set up time and the return trip packing up time vs a trailer set up with a slide out kitchen etc had my wife talking about other trailer designs to shorten that process ;-) - I love the little life time tent trailer especially if it leads to the finance manager contemplating if there is a better faster set up and tear down way of doing it ;-) HA HA.. Next trip I might not exactly do the pack up and tear down in the most efficient manner to further the thought process. Is that wrong? HA HA

Nice rig!!!! I like it kind of a bigger better family oriented cricket idea.

RoadForce

Observer
What a great build this is! I hope you enjoy it with the family for many years to come.

I am building a pop-top truck camper and am planning to galvanize the steel frame, then use VHB tape and aluminum sheet to skin it.

How did you protect the steel frame from rusting? Painted, powdercoated, galvanized it? And how is the aluminum skin holding up? No buckling on a hot day because the aluminum expands more than the steel frame? And no problems with corrosion (with the steel and alu combo)?

Sorry for all the questions. Did I say great build already? :)

I hope mine turns out half as good, that would be more than enough for me!

midog

Observer
Thanks for the compliments. So the steel frame is primed and painted. I do get slight oil canning on very hot days, but when the temperature returns to normal the oil canning goes away. I also used VHB tape to provide a barrier between the steel and the aluminum. So there is no contact between aluminum and steel. I riveted at critical areas to provide more strength. Every joint is cleaned and silicone and to provide a waterproof barrier. It is held up very well with no leaks in very heavy rains and in traveling on wet roads. Good luck with your build!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IM1RU

Observer
Just happened to see this baby in person last night at Cruiser Outfitters BBQ. Very cool, and Very well done.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94