Best lock out hubs?

daddyusmaximus

Explorer
I have a 1999 F-250 Super Duty. It has the Dana 50 front axle. I've done the gears and added ARB air lockers at both ends and it performs very well. However, it seems that 286,000 miles is the lifespan of the unit bearings and hubs. What say the Expo on selection of hubs? I've had Mile Marker before, and they worked fine. (87 Suburban) Warm Premium gets good reviews... Ford manual hubs are on it now. Any recommendations? The truck is rather heavy, and is also a daily driver, so I need something strong.

BushHead

Adventurer
I put the warns on my Excursion, no complaints, work as intended, don't know that they're any better ( or worse) than any other brand.

bjm206

Adventurer
Switched to Warn Premiums on my Excursion after the factory selector on one side became hard to turn. No issues with the Warns.

4x4junkie

Explorer
I've always sworn by Warn hubs also.
I've heard some back & forth about whether Warn Premium hubs with the brass dials are actually better than the standard ones or not, however one thing I can't argue against is the Premium's dials are much more difficult to turn, especially if it's cold out and your hands are cold. Other than that I haven't really had any issues with any of the various Warn hubs I've had.

OTOH I've seen numerous examples of Mile Marker hubs fail miserably... Maybe they were better in the old days, but anything beyond snow wheeling or running more than one tire size step up lately seems to send their guts flying.

Rot Box

Explorer
I picked up a set of Superwinch hubs earlier this year. So far I think they're great and the price was nice. The design is similar to Aisin hubs internally and there's no delay when I turn the dial and they are in or out. That said I don't know how mine would compare to the Super Duty style--I imagine they're similar?

These look nice :Wow1: http://www.ringpinion.com/b2c/Produ...=11866&Product=YHC70002&Brand=Yukon_Hardcore_

OTOH I've seen numerous examples of Mile Marker hubs fail miserably... Maybe they were better in the old days, but anything beyond snow wheeling or running more than one tire size step up lately seems to send their guts flying.

The Mile Marker hubs I had on my Ford were absolute garbage. Beyond cheap and poorly designed... Wouldn't wish them upon anyone.

Last edited:

jdinevens

Adventurer
I say dynatrac, but I went full retard and have the whole unit hub bearing replacement kit. That thing is soooo beefy....

highdesertranger

Adventurer
is that dynatrac the set up that replaces those stupid one piece non serviceable front wheel bearings. that is one of my few complaints with the newer straight axle trucks. had to replace a few of those. highdesertranger

98dango

Expedition Leader
I have warn premium on my 2000 super duty and have had no real problem. As added insurance I have a set of warn standard hubs under the back seat. I have never broken a premium hub but have always carried spairs.

Bubblegoose1

@PNWINFERNOPRO
Yukon Hardcore Hubs are the best quality to price choice. With a lifetime warranty that you will never have to use. Or, just get some plastic Warn hubs. ;-)
ab0ed4fb10f5798c2965df222c1dfbce.jpg

Here are a few reasons why Yukon is a much better choice than Warn:

Yukon

· Lifetime Warranty
· Low profile design to reduce impact with obstacles
· All steel construction, with 4130 chromoly internals for added strength
· Only 1/3 turn needed to engage
· Defaults to locked position in the event of failure.

Warn

· Lifetime Warranty (used over and over again due to failures)
· Metal and plastic construction, with aluminum internals
· 9/10 turn needed to engage
· Does not default to locked position when failure

Last edited:

ExploringNH

Explorer
I have Warn Premiums on my Excursion. They were on it when I bought the truck and I have no idea of their age. They are a little stiff to turn but even in the cold/snow/ice I have been able to do it without too much fighting. So far I have no complaints with them and my truck gets used pretty hard.

Those Yukon hubs looks nice.

daddyusmaximus

Explorer
Yukon Hardcore Hubs are the best quality to price choice. With a lifetime warranty that you will never have to use. Or, just get some plastic Warn hubs. ;-)
ab0ed4fb10f5798c2965df222c1dfbce.jpg

Here are a few reasons why Yukon is a much better choice than Warn:

Yukon

· Lifetime Warranty
· Low profile design to reduce impact with obstacles
· All steel construction, with 4130 chromoly internals for added strength
· Only 1/3 turn needed to engage
· Defaults to locked position in the event of failure.

Warn

· Lifetime Warranty (used over and over again due to failures)
· Metal and plastic construction, with aluminum internals
· 9/10 turn needed to engage
· Does not default to locked position when failure
I looks on the Yukon website, and they don't make a set for the Dana 50 with the stock 30 spline axles.

Bubblegoose1

@PNWINFERNOPRO
I have them installed in my D50 - 2005 Excursion. Call them for fitment. 800-347-1188. Ask for Bruce.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94