Best lock out hubs?

Bubblegoose1

@PNWINFERNOPRO
Plastic outer cap. Pot metal internals.
I have held the two side by side. It is like holding a paper weight compared to a plastic coaster.

4x4junkie

Explorer
That must be something new... I haven't seen a Warn hub with a plastic outer cap and "pot metal" internals yet. :confused:

daddyusmaximus

Explorer
No reason not to, unless I can find something stronger. BTW, guy at the shop (small town mechanic) says they are still good. Still got that sound though, something catching every so often. Sounds like a hub or the t-case trying to engage on it's own. Gonna have the 4wd shop look at the whole driveline.

98dango

Expedition Leader
Have the hub bearing inside the actual wheel bearing checked. I play in water and snow and have had 3 wheel bearings warranty because of this.

gohuge

Observer
DM sounds like one of your hubs are stuck. The vac actuated hubs are plastic and without regular maintenance, will stick.
Sometimes partially engaged. I liked the convenience of turning a knob for 4x4. But ultimately went to Warn Premiums on
my EX. I wouldn't run the Yukons on a D50. They are by far the stronger hub, but the axles aren't up to the stress. Carry a spare
hub instead. You want the failure point easy to repair. I'd rather change a hub on the trail rather than an axle.
Or build a D60....it's only $ lol.

daddyusmaximus

Explorer
Factory hubs are on her, but they are manual hubs. Is it possible that they would catch and let go? The noise and vibration is intermittent. Sounds like a shock to the drivetrain when it hits, you hear the grind for a couple seconds, and it goes off. I'm wondering if the x-fer case could be broke and trying to engage. I don't have good old fashioned levers... just a dial on the dash. Gonna have to check out the whole driveline.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
I have Warn Premiums on my Excursion. They were on it when I bought the truck and I have no idea of their age. They are a little stiff to turn but even in the cold/snow/ice I have been able to do it without too much fighting. So far I have no complaints with them and my truck gets used pretty hard.

Those Yukon hubs looks nice.

Warn premiums should not be hard to turn, unless they are ill-maintained.

Tear them apart, clean, regrease, and reassemble.

Ive run warn premiums on my rigs for ever. Never once had a failure. And none of them have ever been hard to turn.

A bit of grease goes a long way, regardless of how the hubs are built or what material they are built out of.

ExploringNH

Explorer
Warn premiums should not be hard to turn, unless they are ill-maintained.

Tear them apart, clean, regrease, and reassemble.

Ive run warn premiums on my rigs for ever. Never once had a failure. And none of them have ever been hard to turn.

A bit of grease goes a long way, regardless of how the hubs are built or what material they are built out of.

They were on the truck when I bought it and I have no idea how long they have been on there but I am guessing several years by the looks. I can say with certainty that they were neglected, as was everything else on this truck. I may clean them up and repack them over winter but they are still able to be turned by hand right now so it isn't a priority. I wouldn't hesitate to buy the Warns in the future, given what I know about this truck's maintenance history (or lack of).

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
I totally understand.

My point was more along the lines of youd better clean and repack them now, before they fail on you in the middle of winter.

If they freeze up good in the winter, chances are high that you simply will not be able to turn them,
or you will reach for a pare of arch joint pliers to help, and in doing so you will probably destroy them.

10 minutes per side and a bit of grease is cheap insurance.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Factory hubs are on her, but they are manual hubs. Is it possible that they would catch and let go? The noise and vibration is intermittent. Sounds like a shock to the drivetrain when it hits, you hear the grind for a couple seconds, and it goes off. I'm wondering if the x-fer case could be broke and trying to engage. I don't have good old fashioned levers... just a dial on the dash. Gonna have to check out the whole driveline.

Engage the hubs, then drive. If the noise is still there it isnt the hub needle bearings.

If the noise is still there with the hubs engaged start from the wheel and work in.

Wheel bearings (unit bearings can be a pain to diagnose), front axle u-joints, front diff pinion bearing (any play on the yoke?), dry/warn front driveline u-joints, then x-fer case.

98dango

Expedition Leader
I would check the wheel bearings there is a small bearing that the axel sits on. I have replaced my wheel bearing assembly twice for them making noise.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier