Long Ride on a 1982 Honda XL500R

SafariPacific

Adventurer
In the morning I repeated the same pack-up. This time I strapped my backpack onto the yellow dry sack. I had ridden with it on my back from New Mexico to Kentucky and the weight was getting to me. Although I started to do this earlier in AZ I was paranoid of it coming undone. It had my laptop, which I needed for work once I get to West Virginia, as well as other expensive electronics. I spent a while rigging the backpack on so it wouldn't budge. Back on the road again I finally got to see some country. I rode along the blue grass highway and every so many miles a sign for one of the Kentucky distilleries would pop up. I'm not one for hard liquor, but it might be fun to stop. I kept pushing onward since I was kind of ready to be off the bike for good.

The trip was fun through Arizona and New Mexico but the fun was lost once I hit Texas. Just flat, hot and not much to see for me. Kentucky had a good introduction in my eyes, but I was on the verge of being burnt out. I ended up back in the marathon driving routine that I always talk about to others to avoid. I was tired and knew the trip, for now, would be at an end by sunset. That's when my mind started messing with me. All the mile markers started going backwards and forwards in random increments. Twenty miles to the next town says one sign. Seemingly a half hour later another sign. 10 miles to some other town that wasn't mentioned and 18 miles to the original town. What the hell? Am I going crazy? Next sign, original town 5 miles. Have I entered the twilight zone or am I just tired as hell? I honestly can't say for a fact since my trip odometer didn't work. I was feeling the trip wearing on me finally. Again, I think it had to do with the mental aspect of knowing it would end soon.

When I crossed into West Virginia I was excited and happy I had reached my destination. Then reality set in. I was still another hour away. ****! The closer I got the further away it seemed my destination was. I continued on and my body started to go along with my mind. I couldn't get comfortable on the seat. My hands were going numb and my right thumb felt like someone was jabbing a knife between my thumb joint where it meets my hand. It was excruciating. Why was it I rode 2350 miles just fine with only mild discomfort, but now was in agony? The last 50 miles were not fun at all. As much as I want to try and say it was, I can't. I have always been decent at endurance challenges. This one I wasn't able to mentally ignore. I rode the interstate into downtown Charleston almost in tears. I pulled up behind the building I would be working in and got off the bike. I started pulling off my gloves, helmet and jacket. I had finally made it. Roughly 2400 miles of riding a 1982 dual sport in 8 days. Mentally drained, I called my friend to let him know of my arrival. He came over and I and parked the bike in the stairwell to the building. I headed with my friend over to his place so I could take a hot shower.

Overall the trip was good. I had ridden almost across the entire USA on an old bike, so that has to count for something in my book. Although from Texas eastward I didn't see a whole lot, I still had moments of fun. I'll be in West Virginia for work for a while. Once work is done I'll head back out in a new direction. But when that happens I'm definitely going to plan more time so I don't burn myself out.

Rumpig

Adventurer
great read...love the honest appraisal of the good and bad of your trip.
looking forward to the next installment when you head back out.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Top notch write up and thank you so much for the honesty in your writing.
Too often the mega media trips come off as all is perfect and well....and they have to with sponsors and all.
It is your kind of report that is the best, simple truth with great writing and pics.

SafariPacific

Adventurer
Thanks everyone!

All of the posts were written while I was on the road. I wanted to give an accurate depiction as well as mental state of the trip. Which I should apologize for the typos, incoherent sentences and general complaining....lol. I just re-read the whole thing and realized I should of proof read better...lol.

I do want to add a note about hopping on a bike and just going. I am currently 30. The last time I had ridden a motorcycle was when I was 17-18. So 12 years ago roughly. I purchased my 1982 Honda on June 8th this year then hit the road on August 12th for this trip. I did do a few day rides in between that time. I quite literally bought a bike and hit the road on a 2400 mile 8 day trip. Pretty big trip right out of the gate. In hindsight I should of spent more time taking shorter overnight trips to build up my experience and knowledge. In short, I really wasn't prepared. That's not to say from the tons of other travels I have done in the past that I wasn't ready for travel. Not at all. I used my past travel experience to get me though. What I wasn't ready for was the physical and mental drain of riding the bike that distance and rate. I jokingly told my friend in West Virginia at my arrival, "I felt like I just rode half the Dakar time wise." Having said all that, there's only one way to learn. To do it. I don't recommend new riders tackling a big trip to start like I did. I'm a bit off my rocker anyhow...

Top notch write up and thank you so much for the honesty in your writing.
Too often the mega media trips come off as all is perfect and well....and they have to with sponsors and all.
It is your kind of report that is the best, simple truth with great writing and pics.

Thanks Lance! That's the nice thing without sponsors. I can tell it like it is, good or bad. Not saying sponsorship is bad. I had fun when I was involved with sponsors, as you can chime in as well, it becomes work and the responsibilities are always on your mind. It takes away from the trip enjoyment. I will say though I have been far more realistic/in depth with this trip write up.

SafariPacific

Adventurer
I'm back in California. Been here for a while as I finished up the core of the work I needed to be in West Virginia for. I decided to sell the bike there instead of riding it back home since it started snowing. I still want to do more travel on dual sports, but I think I need to get a bigger bike. Definitely leaning towards an older KLR 650 right now.

Anyhow, here is a video is of a few clips I took on the first few days. Couldn't keep the battery charged on the camera so didn't get the full trip. Its cheesy, but what the hell. I have the videos so might as well.

http://youtu.be/bQW8iAT-PS4

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles