Long Ride on a 1982 Honda XL500R

haven

Expedition Leader
Wonderful story! My favorite line so far is
"and the only light was from the static discharge of the pool raft as I flipped it around"
So true.

SafariPacific

Adventurer
Great trip so far! I also rode early 80s XRs and XLs. Great bikes, but they are getting more expensive now. I guess lots of us are getting nostalgic for our misspent youths? I posted a link below to a similar trip (but on a very different bike). You've probably seen it, but if not it is a very inspiring thread... As is yours!

Thanks! Cool! Yeah, I found a few that people though they were made of gold. Mine wasn't too bad. Cool, I'll take a look.

I just sold my 82 xl500 to a friend last month. I really can't imagine slabbing it all the way across the continent! Great bikes, but really, not my first choice for a trip like this. Ride safely as us old farts follow along on the forums!

Yeah, its not the best bike for the job. I figured it would do. Most of the trip wasn't too bad. My last day everything kinda got me, but that's another story in itself...lol

Wonderful story! My favorite line so far is
"and the only light was from the static discharge of the pool raft as I flipped it around"
So true.

Thanks! Haha, that was an unexpected effect of having the pool raft. Makes for a good story though...lol

Wow! :Wow1: Great pics looks like a good time. I have a 81 XL500S.. Neat bikes lots of character.

Thanks! I was originally looking for an older one to duplicate this http://www.pipeburn.com/home/2011/02/17/honda-xr500-desert-racer.html

Great keep it coming!

Thanks!

SafariPacific

Adventurer
usamoto-37.jpg

Moonscapes were the view from my tent in the morning as the sun came over the hills. Not a cloud in the sky. Crazy considering it was going to rain heavy again today according to the weather report. So much for forecasts. I started my new daily routine of packing all the gear back onto the bike. After that I headed for breakfast in town and then back on the road. My original intention was to take US highway 60 most of the way to the East Coast. To me route 66 was over done and I've always ended up living near some portion of the US 60. Not to mention the 60 ran through downtown Charleston, WV. Which is where I am headed. Leaving Socorro I head out on the interstate. As I got closer to the 60 turn off I had an uneasy gut feeling. Something didn't sit well. Having learned my lesson from ignoring that gut feeling in the past, I continue on to Albuquerque instead.

usamoto-38.jpg

usamoto-36.jpg

I arrived in Albuquerque around 9 AM and wandered through town looking for a coffee shop. I needed to charge my phone and laptop. After a while I couldn't find anything. My dead phone was no help either. I stopped for gas and asked a few people where I could find a coffee shop. I was told on Central was where everything was. Eventually driving a few miles down Central I found a Starbucks. I spent my time there while waiting for everything to charge to get some work done. A few hours later I packed back up and hit the road again. I went east on Central which was Route 66, till I hit interstate 40. From there I stayed on the interstate till Tucumcari, NM.

usamoto-39.jpg

usamoto-40.jpg

The ride was pretty boring most of the day. A few clouds rolled in and rained a little. That is till the sun started going down. Then the heavy rains came. Once again I got soaked. Riding though the rain next to semi's was kind of sketchy to say the least. I was going slower to keep from freezing and keep people from ridding my tail.

usamoto-41.jpg

I was planning to camp again tonight, but with all my gear wet and more rain on the horizon, I decided to get a hotel room. Which turned out to be a good idea to help get all my gear dry. I laid all of my stuff out all over the room, and with a spark of redneck ingenuity, even washed some of my closes in the tub. Once I showered I stepped out of the hotel to find some food. On my return a wall of musk smacked me in the face when the door to my room was opened. Dang! I can only imagine what the cleaning ladies thought in the morning...lol.

usamoto-42.jpg

Gearspoke

Adventurer
One day... One day! I have Ducati, and a dual sport KTM, now I just need the wits about me to go! What insired you to want to get out there and see the world?

SafariPacific

Adventurer
That's the hardest part, is just to get yourself to go. The first post on here I talk about that, even with me traveling a good amount.

My family use to go camping all the time when I was young. Also started to collect National Geographic magazines when I was 6 years old. Then watching Alby Mangel's Adventure Bound series. The rest has just been the desire to go and explore.

SafariPacific

Adventurer
usamoto-43.jpg

Today I wanted to get through Texas and all the flat boring land. I fueled up the bike and hit the highway. Just before I crossed into Texas a trucker tried to run me off the road. He decided he wanted to pass another semi while going uphill. Needless to say he didn't bother looking. I specifically mounted my headlight to point right at a semi truck's driver window so this wouldn't happen. The scary part was the road had a lip on the left side about 2 inches tall from being repaved. I almost lost control when I went over the lip in my quick jerking reaction to get away from the truck. Having flashbacks as a kid trying to get up a curb with my bicycle, I knew I'd go down if I tried to get back on the road. Especially going 60 mph. I was stuck between the rumble strip and the lip, a spot about a foot wide. Five miles or so the road flattened back out so I could get away from the edge. I stopped off at the next gas station to calm down. Mostly from being pissed off.

The rest of the day was pretty boring. Just driving through the flat lands in 95 degree heat. I stopped frequently to get water and fuel. At one stop I pulled up next to a gas pump and pushed the kickstand down with my foot. As I move to prop the bike on the kick stand it keeps going down. The kick stand wasn't fully down and the bike was going over. I stopped it from falling with thanks to my helmet pushing against the pump. I got it on the kickstand and went inside to pay. After filling up I walked the bike over to rest. I was exhausted. I need to take a break first before getting fuel on my next stops. Checking the weather it doesn't look like it will be cooling off and time soon.

I stopped off to take a break on the same exit I had used back in 2007. Yep, I'd been here before and crossed the USA before. Though that was a much larger 22,000 mile trip I did that literally went from corner to corner of the USA and Canada. Arizona, Florida, Nova Scotia and Alaska to name a the farthest reaches of that trip. More about that trip on my site. http://www.safaripacific.com/category/adventure/northamerica-expedition/ I was in a sense good to be back on a similar trip and crossing my old path. Though, the flatness continues as I ride on...

usamoto-44.jpg

I stop at a hotel again since I was beat from the long ride and heat. As I'm unpacking my bike a 7 year old kid comes up and starts asking questions about my bike. Then ask how much each of my things are. Hmmmm.... I wonder what he's up to. More so who's coaching him. I BSed the kid for a while until I discovered my key doesn't work on the room. I carry all my stuff up to the front office as I didn't want anything stolen. I got a new key card and told the lady at office about the kid. She said she will let security know who checks in around 9 am. Mean while I head back to room and notice a sign. "We're not liable for theft". I said screw that. I rolled the bike into my room and called it a night.

usamoto-45.jpg

Rot Box

Explorer
Agh.. that's annoying smart move putting the bike in the room. I can't get enough really enjoying the updates :cool:

SafariPacific

Adventurer
Crawling out of bed was harder this morning. My back was sore from dropping the bike yesterday. I took a couple pain pills and took a hot shower. I packed my bike up inside the hotel room, which was a new experience. As I roll the bike out the door a couple of other guests were staring. Guessing they haven't seen something like this before. I finish strapping on my bags then head to a coffee shop to get some work done. Also found out overnight a friend from high school lived in the area and worked at the Air Force Base. He worked the night shift and would be up around noon. I spend some time today to get a hair cut and get caught up on work. Noon rolled around and didn't hear from my friend. So I went for lunch. Afterwards I got a message he worked later than expected and would have to meet later in the day. I semi had a deadline to meet and decided to visit when I stopped back through on my return when I had more time.

I then headed out on the road again. This time towards Tulsa. As I got closer to the freeway connecting OKC with Tulsa I find out its a toll road. Being cheap I hop my happy *** off the freeway and looked at the map for an alternative. Route 66 ran the same path, hopping back and fourth along the same tollway. In a corny way, I decided to get my kicks and take the 66. The ride was much better than the day before. The heat was lower to a manageable temp.

On one of my gas stops I talked with a guy as we both pumped gas. He was interested in my bike and what I was doing and partially thought I was crazy to ride it out from California. He mentioned he had a wife and kids and couldn't do something like that. I disagree somewhat. A family means you have responsibility, it doesn't mean no fun at all. Granted the length of my trip would be a hard thing to do, though with enough planning I'm sure anyone could make it happen. That is depending on the wife's willingness to let you go or come along. But I chock that up to life choices. Ultimately you chose your significant other.

Down the road I noticed a heavy storm dumping buckets. I was partially excited thinking it would be a good way to cool down and possible to see a tornado as the clouds were rolling through the sky. At the time I wasn't thinking clearly, obviously, and didn't think a tornado and a bike wouldn't mix well. Passing under the storm I got super wet. More so than the rain in New Mexico. But it wasn't a cold wet, just cooler than 100 degree ambient air. I followed the 66 till I crossed the US 60 again. From there I turned East and headed towards Missouri.

As the sun began to set I considered pushing through the night to get a bit farther through the flat lands. All was well until a loud bang made me jump. A huge grasshopper flew into the beam of my headlight and went strait towards my head. Shaking of the startle I continued on and pulled over to the next camping area I found. Turned out it was 75 a night to camp. Nope. I'd rather pay for a hotel at that point. Pushing on another grasshopper scared the crap out of me as it smashed against my visor. I stopped for gas and pulled out my phone to look for the nearest campground. The sun had now set and was getting dark quickly. I settled on a small campground a few miles North. I couldn't tell online if they allowed tents, but I figured it was small, out of the way and wouldn't be full. They'd be fools to not accept money for an empty space.

I hauled to the campground racing the last bit of light, then as I got close I tried to keep in a low gear. Mostly to keep the sound low since I didn't have anymore baffles. I killed the engine right as I turned into the campground and pushed the bike the rest of the way. As I was taking my jacket off the camp host came over and asked me to head to a different spot for tents only. I rolled the bike over to where she asked and I began to unpack. The host came back over and started to chat a bit. I told her where I came from and she was surprised. I was pretty tired and half-*** setup my tent as I continued to talk to the host. I paid her for my night stay, $20, and crawled in the tent to pass out.

unkamonkey

Explorer
I hope you made it, or will finish the ride. I rode a Yamaha XT 550 for years. It wouldn't have been my choice for a trip across the country.
Come to think of it. I had a friend that rode to SF on a 185 Suzuiki from here, then from Daves Creek OR to Tok AK.

Last edited:

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
This write up is a must read for anyone who thinks they can't just hop on a bike and go...
Great emotion and honesty, thanks for taking us along.

ober27

Adventurer
I'm jealous and glad I'm not you at the same time. Great story. I am also a fan of the Honda XL, the last one I owned was a 350, I regret selling it. You'll likely keep this bike a long time after making all these memories with it.
I look forward to reading the rest of your report, both east and the return trip west.

SafariPacific

Adventurer
This write up is a must read for anyone who thinks they can't just hop on a bike and go...
Great emotion and honesty, thanks for taking us along.

I figured there was no reason to sugar coat it....lol.

I hope you made it, or will finish the ride. I rode a Yamaha XT 550 for years. It wouldn't have been my choice for a trip across the country.
Come to think of it. I had a friend that rode to SF on a 185 Suzuiki from here, then from Daves Creek OR to Tok AK.

I made it. I did the trip in 8 days, just working a lot and slowly getting my trip report published. Yeah, if I had the money and time I would of definitely got something better, though I kind of did this on a whim. So a run what you brung kind of thing. SF to AK is a long ride on a 185. If you took your time it would be a decent ride I think. Probably only doing 100-200 miles max per day.

I'm jealous and glad I'm not you at the same time. Great story. I am also a fan of the Honda XL, the last one I owned was a 350, I regret selling it. You'll likely keep this bike a long time after making all these memories with it. I look forward to reading the rest of your report, both east and the return trip west.

Thanks! Yeah, there was a few times I was thinking "what the hell am i doing"....lol.

SafariPacific

Adventurer
usamoto-47.jpg

Stumbling out of the tent in the morning I quickly began to pack. The days of riding through nothing made me want to hurry up and get through the next flat part to where nice places were. During packing the husband of the host came over to say hi. We talked for a while about traveling. He had taken a bike trip similar to what I did back in the late 50's or early 60's. He ran on aviation gas and said he got 100 miles per gallon. Having ridden across on a 1982 year bike I can only imagine how uncomfortable a bike much older was. The campground was pretty nice to mention. The owner had installed some super nice showers and a laundry room. By far the best camp facilities I've ever seen.

Back on the road I was on the US 60 once again headed through Missouri. As much as I wanted this part of the trip to open up into hills and be fun again, I was disappointed. It seemed everywhere along the 60 that I stopped for gas there was nothing but tweakers. One guy, with his scabbed up face and sunk in eyes, stared at me go through and check the bike. I looked everything over, cleaned up my gear a bit and generally tried to find stuff to do for a break of riding. But I had to get back on. The guy was creeping me out. He just sat and stared 2 feet away. As I start suiting up, he began to move around. Once I hopped on the bike he walked away. The rest of the day was the same sadly. I made it to Charleston, MO and stopped again for a long rest. I was disappointed with the flatness and boring-ness of the past few days. I hit my wall and I wanted to be done with the trip. Sitting inside the air conditioned fast food place I pull up my laptop and tried to find a good route. I was on the verge of being burnt out and couldn't find anything. After sitting for a couple hours I pack up and hit the road again.

Along the way I stopped to relocate my backpack again. I had the one day in Arizona I carried it on the back of the bike, though since then I carried it on my back. My arms were going numb constantly so I had to rearrange how I was carrying everything. Even though the backpack had all my electronics, in reality I don't need them for trips. Next time I'm definitely shipping them ahead of me or leaving them behind. Also was difficult to keep charged. The past couple days I only had my cell phone for photos.

usamoto-49.jpg

usamoto-50.jpg

I followed the 60 towards Kentucky. As I got closer my spirits lifted as I was hopeful Kentucky would make for a good end to the trip. Crossing over the Mississippi River first landed me in a small sliver of Illinois, but not before crossing another bridge over the Ohio river into Kentucky. As the road turned to the right I could see a completely different terrain. Its funny how everything seems to change at borders. Further along the road I passed farms, houses and small villages. Everything looked to be clean and in order. The sun was setting and lit up the rain clouds scattered around. Warm red hues blanked every bit of the road not blocked by trees and corn fields. I felt a ton better an I was in hilly country again away from the boring flat. I passed through Paducah, KY. Everything looked super clean. As I pass an amazingly spotless college I see a billboard saying it was one of the top 5 community colleges in the nation.

usamoto-48.jpg

usamoto-51.jpg

I found the Interstate and followed it a short distance to the first rest stop. It was immaculate. I stayed for a bit to release the tension of having a bad day. I pulled my phone out to find a campground, and promptly change to find a hotel. No need to rough it tonight. I had a crap day and needed a shower. I found a Days Inn off the highway right as the sun finally set. I got a room and began unpacking my bike on the bed. I locked the bike and went inside to jump in the shower. After my shower I set all my gear out to air out a bit. It had been in the yellow dry sack for a while and my sleeping bag was damp when I packed it up apparently. So it was a bit musty. I then rolled into bed and passed out.

usamoto-52.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior