First M101 build, help greatly appreciated.

kaelic

Hi guys,

I'm Ken from North Florida. Been lurking for a while but I just pulled the trigger on an M101 for $150 from 1957. Frame and axle are good, brand new split rim wheels with new tires uploadfromtaptalk1411270084496.jpguploadfromtaptalk1411270095316.jpguploadfromtaptalk1411270109735.jpguploadfromtaptalk1411270126612.jpgwhich may get changed out later. Box has some rust damage on the floor but the sides seem good. I have ambitiously decided to remove the floor and now need to replace it. I want to get this trailer operational as economically as possible with the end goal to build an awesome custom expedition trailer.

Does anyone know if a new floor can be bought anywhere? Can the parking brake assembly be bought piecemeal as well? This one is rusted and seems useless. If I were to buy a welder and was dedicated to doing the welds myself would you guys recommend arc, mig or something else? What should I watch for? Sorry if this seems very general but I'm slightly anxious as I've never tackled a project this big and I have a floor less trailer sitting in my driveway. Thanks in advance for any help.

kaelic

Also the K5 top was removed and placed on ebay. It was bolted onto the top. I used a grinder to cut the floor out of the box and the front lower panel.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Great price. I would remove the bed to make it easier to weld in the floor plates.
The carriage bolts and tabs are easily removed.
I pulled the bed off mine to paint and it made better.

shogun

Adventurer
One issue you are going to probably run into is tire replacement and your incorrect use of the evil words, split rim. Everyone knows "split rims" are dangerous and evil and I guarantee if you use that term at a tire shop they will refuse to work on it. Notice that it doesnt matter what they really are or whether the shop knows anything about them; say the words and they refuse.

What you really have are called "safety rings" and they are significantly different than "split rims".

Sorry, one of my pet peeves. BTDT.

kaelic

One issue you are going to probably run into is tire replacement and your incorrect use of the evil words, split rim. Everyone knows "split rims" are dangerous and evil and I guarantee if you use that term at a tire shop they will refuse to work on it. Notice that it doesnt matter what they really are or whether the shop knows anything about them; say the words and they refuse.

What you really have are called "safety rings" and they are significantly different than "split rims".

Sorry, one of my pet peeves. BTDT.
Thanks for the heads up. I was aware the M101 uses the old M37/Power Wagon wheels and that they are not true split rims but that's a good point. Perception is reality. I will try to get into the habit of calling them safety rings although it may not matter much.

shogun

Adventurer
It'll still be an issue, but if the shop has any brains they will know its OK. Actually, they are quite easy to do yourself. Pry bar and rubber mallet.

kaelic

Not what I want at all. I genuinely am not sure what the correct floor replacement should be thickness wise. 14 gauge? 16 gauge?

Scoutman

Explorer
Not what I want at all. I genuinely am not sure what the correct floor replacement should be thickness wise. 14 gauge? 16 gauge?

Well assuming that the walls and overall structure are ok then I would replace the entire floor if you want to do it yourself. What are you planning to use this for an what is your tow rig?

If you are going to do it then I would first establish that the floor is the only thing that needs replacing. If there is more then you may need to take a step back and decide if the tub is worth saving. Like Mark said I would definitely take the tub off and then put it on stands to work on. Cut out the entire floor and replace with a diamond tread steel sheet around 16 ga. Since you will be using sheet steel with no ribbing you loose some of that structure which you'll gain a little back with the stamped tread plate.

kaelic

Thanks Scoutman! I will be towing with an F250. The rest of the tub seems OK. Would 14 gauge be better for structural integrity since it is unribbed? I have the box removed and flipped over and having been cutting the floor off. Long and slow process. Found out part of the back frame had been cut off as well ... what sort of angle iron can I replace that with?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles