Front Runner vs Eezi awn roof rack. Your opinion

Cabana Dan

I am planning a cross-country trip next summer with my family. I am researching roof racks at the moment to install on our 1998 LC. We will be purchasing a RTT as well. Since we are two adults and two small children, we believe that we will buying the 1800 Eezi Awn tent. We are still researching that at this point.

Between the Eezi Awn and the Front Runner, can some of you let me know your thoughts on what you purchase and how you use it?

Regards,
Dan
Naples, Fl.

SmoothLC

Explorer
I have the 1.4M Front Runner Wind Cheetah (v1 vs. Slimline II) on my rig, and haven't seen the Eezi Awn, so can only speak to it.

It's primarily used for transporting an axe, a shovel, a propane canister, a small storage box, Rotopax(s), and soon to be bikes (need to install the mounts) and Maxtrax (next puchase). It has been great for our use of it.

The only "hard" part is the initial installation of it - just takes a couple pair of hands and some time to fine tune the feet to the bottom of the rack and getting it centered.

You can see a little more at Front Runner Rails Compatible with Yakima Control Towers. Here's a recent picture.

1999-land-cruiser-with-rack-jpg.829110

A little more info. at Front Runner Propane Tank Holder, Kitchen Utensils, and Tie Down Rings.

Last edited:

mph

Expedition Leader
Have seen both...have the fr rack. The ea rack had stainless(aluminum?) steal feet that were not painted black...didn't match the rack. Just picky in my opinion but I went with the fr rack.

raven1911

Observer
Interested in this thread.....I am interested in a RTT as well but don't know if I would need to do anything to my rooftop to make sure it could support 2 adults and 2 kids? I looked on the eezi awn website and there doesn't seem to be anything about it. I currently have a 4runner and Bajarack on top. Is it necessary to do anything to your roof in order to put a RTT on it?

SmoothLC

Explorer
Smooth Lc,

what size rims and tires are you running? Stock suspension?
Dan

The rims are stockers (16" OEM), tires are 285/75/16D Revos (v1), and the suspension is OME medium w/ Nitrochargers, 863 coils and torsion bars.

If these tires finally wear out (had them for around 75k), I'll probably go w/ a 295 in one of the Toyo tires.

Jwestpro

Explorer
Between the Eezi Awn and the Front Runner, can some of you let me know your thoughts on what you purchase and how you use it?

I think you should also look into the Hannibal rack. The slats have a center mounting channel that a standard bolt head fits into and they run front to back for better aerodynamics.

I have one and the Hannibal awnings that mount to the side rail are also very cool as they are fully self supporting with no poles/lines, etc. You can also add the side walls to the awnings to create enclosed "rooms".

It's all aluminum and there are of course mount kits for jerry cans, shovels, high-lift, propane, etc.

As for mounting to the roof, there are feet kits for mounting to various vehicle tracks but I already had some Thule and Yakima towers and bars so I used Yakima bars. The rack is supposed to be on 3 cross bars so O cut them to snug within the side rail width and drilled through vertically to allow the rack, which normally bolts down onto an aluminum cross bar, to bolt through instead to the yakima bars.

While custom whoever mount feet are nice, this allows me to remove or set up the entire rack and cross bars in about 30 minutes, alone. With the help of one other person, I can actually remove the entire thing in less than 5 minutes by popping open the yakima towers, then lift combined unit off the roof.

theside00

Adventurer
We have been installing a lot of Baja Racks and so far like them a lot. Super easy to install and can carry a RTT no problem. FR racks are nice in the way that everything is modular.

Eric Edwards

Adventurer
The powder coating and fit of Baja Racks is terrible compared to FrontRunner. If you live anywhere that it rains a lot steer clear of the Baja Racks! Mine rusted out in less than a year... I went FrontRunner and have been loving it ever since. The Eezi Awn stuff looks very nice also.

We have been installing a lot of Baja Racks and so far like them a lot. Super easy to install and can carry a RTT no problem. FR racks are nice in the way that everything is modular.

Yuman Desert Rat

Expedition Leader
Have seen both...have the fr rack. The ea rack had stainless(aluminum?) steal feet that were not painted black...didn't match the rack. Just picky in my opinion but I went with the fr rack.

They have black feet now. I think mine is the only one with bare stainless feet. (Or so i was told) it was the first one imported into the US. I cant bring myself to paint or powder coat it.
both racks are similar. The Eezi Awn has a thinner profile, is a solid one piece construction not modularly assembled and the slats run the length of the vehicle. Both offer a wide variety of add ons and accessories.

Blackwater

Im getting old! :(
I've been between both as well. I had the Rhino Rack Pioneer rack but didn't love it and sold it. Since I have added the Eezi Awn tracks to the top of my LC in preparation for a new rack. Truthfully with the research I have done, If Front Runner still offered their Wind Cheetah one piece solid rack I would grab that. Ive always loved that rack. With that said, now that they only offer a Bolt together (version 2) rack Im leaning towards the full Eezi Awn rack... I want a solid rack, I hate the idea of spending 1200+ on a roof rack and having to bolt it together when I get it home... Just my 2 Cents...

REDrum

Aventurero de la Selva
I've been between both as well. I had the Rhino Rack Pioneer rack but didn't love it and sold it. Since I have added the Eezi Awn tracks to the top of my LC in preparation for a new rack. Truthfully with the research I have done, If Front Runner still offered their Wind Cheetah one piece solid rack I would grab that. Ive always loved that rack. With that said, now that they only offer a Bolt together (version 2) rack Im leaning towards the full Eezi Awn rack... I want a solid rack, I hate the idea of spending 1200+ on a roof rack and having to bolt it together when I get it home... Just my 2 Cents...

Agreed.

I have run FR wind cheetas for about 8 years, very well engineered and built racks. They have taken a lot of load, and impact, but still look great. The new FR knock down are very good too but not quite as stout--not a set it and forget it rack. I have only seen, but not lived with, the EA racks, but they seem on par with FR one piece. If you are buying an EA RTT why would you not buy an EA rack? No doubt Paul May would cut you a good deal on both.

Yuman Desert Rat

Expedition Leader
Agreed.

I have run FR wind cheetas for about 8 years, very well engineered and built racks. They have taken a lot of load, and impact, but still look great. The new FR knock down are very good too but not quite as stout--not a set it and forget it rack. I have only seen, but not lived with, the EA racks, but they seem on par with FR one piece. If you are buying an EA RTT why would you not buy an EA rack? No doubt Paul May would cut you a good deal on both.

agreed. Paul always goes the distance. he's always taken great care of me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz