DMSKI's 2006 Xterra

Dmski

Adventurer
I saw on an Xterra forum somewhere once, a guy had fabbed up his own brackets for his ARB bumper. He didn't like how far he thought it sat from the vehicle, so he didn't use the crush brackets and made his own. I think it shouldn't be too hard for you to sort out.

That's good news! I figure it won't be a problem and I'll just come up with something in the next couple of weeks. You wouldn't happen to have a link to that guys X by chance?

Dmski

Adventurer
And in other news I finally finished the lift install. Thanks to a few newx members for providing the UCA's and spacer plates!

The ARB will be done this weekend I hope. 1.5" PRG spacers and UCA's up front, and Nisstec extended shackles out back. It took a surprising amount of time since the bushings in the rear had swollen and were not easy to remove. Ended up having to cut them out, and install new ones. I've learned that what can go wrong, will go wrong and projects NEVER go as planned. That said, I'm loving the stance and am officially done with suspension modifications until something fully wears out and needs replacing, which I'm hoping won't be for another 50k miles...

For those interested, the front UCA bolt I had to cut out and replace due to my steering column being in the way was a 14mmx1.25x80mm grade 10.9.

F53cRNltIWUS2IgPa9n9zpSBp8oypKHS8yFfccRrAWnmP3rJMdesTLtyaCQ6IGPg-l64qA88goqXGwDOQJhMik8JrBahsPTd6a4z4MpETTtFtq5uDglD1Wnqfh2pCYHX0mI0zj5GkQ=w2400

J6lwWXs1t3F9Jd9tNdA4LrCr5k4x9s-_8SVR0wuV6urYbpD0qxzQdphaeBKKTRDJTU0wra4-6fgJ2Pun1Kqpb8SezeeMfwh9658Sn-xD0dY0jQ01SLXHWhKF8l_k8Qg3jKCFfXG1Kg=w2400

Stock parts out:
PxcocovxymeaqvFDH9qsjloanvPrg-jI8yNviIFzcP-R98uE5So50_91iVZcbncfSTsQEh72t09u_0SscRv045-xZuwPdi7RC6sCcP3d_cIbjIoWEVuyjlTL5Sb8OzyP2WUqIpefQw=w2400

Spacer in:
D57BR8L6bFctxSSh-pF0E_MNLjM2oUlxg5t7whMcuoOvVfFtS8fIBNUtcUUe_lp8tjFccNT2Idu3MSfAJi6Wlt0PxKUUmaJPIrHJR3J2pZEgivVg4lp8AFwysbqV9KaISkMsfgrV_A=w2400

UCA in:
1TXng-916tHnKRElD4ngyKJk3qZPp6snjVE6blY-A1kBdOl4KCz7GuZiOqgy4W4P8CZ5zHjFn2NSh8WCQlGu7Dkh9OKj5nQLdhKm0lgWMlBiOi-GCTz04o3uoc8QYMPMAT1e1fl7uw=w2400

New ride height:
aXWEliNShYQgMgB8Z8qvfGIagNvznFxE_XfRXwH-ATXXEh2DzOMkWw05XddV7m_Nvimt-s2p8xuLbhTQc_rYtMVBI9PdcH7CrCtBXBRhMEjzDR9JDSNE0UdqcouabkI-HEbjyuqXLg=w2400

Also from my other post on the trans temp gauge but here it is again. Center console setup. Left the right blank to put switches, a voltage gauge or an Ultra gauge in the future.
4G-Y-XUMHGsXsHDS0-ChXUruIJRmhXsUFqlObZkGeQginXiI5aGf-DRXO57EJgh1CkQzV9ZObNL6OqxVZLp3_eaQxm81Bo_Q-UDGBYwuhOI28I2Is9oow35LNf_7OvMFXs_OVKwe-w=w2400

9RZMkUuDPkj9613XXXalglxHZDVi2g4QLGT8MyfIKMw5gbfWJEeSKJckG25HjVE_5T_77ASigrOxU1q7zjTDrAbo5Sp83HcTOfDipfVdfSYufIIhyFn5LN8g1MMkiNpUhcDTwyy8Iw=w2400

Last edited:

Dmski

Adventurer
Very cool. The "what can go wrong, will" motto seems to follow me around.
And to continue that theme, the alignment at firestone was a joke... They couldn't budge the top nut on the UCA (they didn't have PB blaster, a torch or anything I'd expect an alignment shop to have) so the bottom camber bolts are all the way tuned. Its not great and sitting at 1.3-1.5 positive camber right now. Don't know if its worth getting another alignment done at a better shop but for now I'll just deal with it and expect to rotate my tires more frequently.

Trikebubble

Adventurer
The top nut on your new UCA? It's new, they should be able to loosen it with a breaker bar, if that. Something seems off there, if that's the case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jhberria

Adventurer
Good to see you finally put my old spacers to use! Truck looks great, man.

And I agree with Trike, of the UCAs are new, there should be no issue loosening the sliding bolt and correcting your camber.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
That trans temp gauge mount is super clean looking! I like that a lot. That would also be a great place to mount some accessory switches, power outlets, etc.

Also, I agree with everyone else per the UCAs. The nuts should come loose with the aid of a cheater pipe without issue. Something's fishy.

When I installed mine, I drove around the block several times to let the springs settle, then when they were where I wanted them I got to the alignment. I had the truck sitting on level ground with the wheels straight, then slightly loosened the top nuts and eyeballed the camber by pushing in or out on the top of the tire until they looked vertical. Then I drove to the alignment shop and got it aligned. Apparently I was super close and it only took about 20 minutes to align. :)

Dmski

Adventurer
The top nut on your new UCA? It's new, they should be able to loosen it with a breaker bar, if that. Something seems off there, if that's the case.

Good to see you finally put my old spacers to use! Truck looks great, man.

And I agree with Trike, of the UCAs are new, there should be no issue loosening the sliding bolt and correcting your camber.

That trans temp gauge mount is super clean looking! I like that a lot. That would also be a great place to mount some accessory switches, power outlets, etc.

Also, I agree with everyone else per the UCAs. The nuts should come loose with the aid of a cheater pipe without issue. Something's fishy.

When I installed mine, I drove around the block several times to let the springs settle, then when they were where I wanted them I got to the alignment. I had the truck sitting on level ground with the wheels straight, then slightly loosened the top nuts and eyeballed the camber by pushing in or out on the top of the tire until they looked vertical. Then I drove to the alignment shop and got it aligned. Apparently I was super close and it only took about 20 minutes to align. :)

Thanks guys! Josh, glad the spacers finally got installed as well. Just needed that full weekend to do it. Actually picked up the UCA's used and the previous owner had recently installed the updated ball joints from Nisstec on them. My guess is that he used thread locker and/or tightened them to the full 150ft/lbs they should be at. I'm gonna see how it rides but i'll likely be doing it in my driveway like wreck but adding a torch to the mix to get it loose.

Trikebubble

Adventurer
I use the bar of my Hi Lift and slide it over the 1/2" breaker bar. That always gives me enough torque to break the nut on anything. Even worked on my seized front axle nut.

Dmski

Adventurer
I use the bar of my Hi Lift and slide it over the 1/2" breaker bar. That always gives me enough torque to break the nut on anything. Even worked on my seized front axle nut.

Genius! put that sketchy tool to work. Also after dialing in the alignment a bit more I'm really impressed with how the lift turned out. Its riding better than it ever has and it just soaks up bumps and has zero twitchy steering (might be the toe and caster being fully adjusted). Lovin it!

Last edited:

Dmski

Adventurer
A few pics from a recent trip which is a cross post from the expo thread. We started off I90 in Ellensburg on the Durr road. Moved from there to Douglas creek (which was a bit of a let down in terms of offroading) and finished on Highway 2 going from Wenatchee/Cashmere to Leavenworth only on dirt (the pleasant surprise of the trip and a place I highly recommend people go and explore). We have a beautiful state.

Durr wagon road for the night. We arrived in the dark but awoke to the mountains saying hello:

6qd4uhvsL_UdmQESaU6GPrrjDa_MTkZNyCqrI7rX1maGoagHAw_DbrtxKR5EkmEOz9OX8qwCybfluDT_GA8cK41fxyi41zN3bj2UXNFg0CCOQ2QsWoxh7OaUTjRDCcDV-BMzyFSyqw=w2400

Heading out:
N_Nj4-Si-VBr_f2xbXUOLv3LOVu6hjvDEvR3WSwhiVIWQpjEsKpfgeEUDgZssFPtAEpWti9-OGlfgg-SP4a_9kZqgLMEcZ-ieIEYVCA8P6PcH71IjVnbOj0iBA7eHCPdmh1lfej4kA=w2400

Douglas creek:
_PNDXz6GmB0RT-PSBJfFfummTlKZS2xzPXsY2mFFzoV44pnka0aHzwz4SK78q6xzQmElNzCNgggpxx7nyBjGdU5or2e75iWSc-Qo85dMhAI2zTwpLY1kb_BPCNFtOKsbmwu0TLUx9A=w2400

LXB_vteg6ApblukVMr8Wcjv7csNqtpLKr2F9nEc98ksLwGptvJmX3-lDvsP20BUbsZpZohXvL_lAR2puoSyIPxDGCgb3RslgAiYOZXPrXaLVce1knVU7ImC6LJn17WoKRQxn3wEBkg=w2400

Very flat land:
aCpzccGrLJkqS0-3ybL5SwfaOFWS5YXIg2oFPBXSvRcFoBXFbuu5MXGuTXhBCE2Np174hzB2a2Wn-gEi5lgiSErt0knhPlc-YGdR0004FTMwdAISCrSIGuVCAbHMGs9ajdt0GSWMlw=w2400

Cleaning out airboxes:
mT2rabq81XAiiK_zbpkNdTmyn2YFoPUkONAz6g9B0oBFj6O1Uoerj2zMTfFD-8wJ5GO3gAkCfgpHupwNAi3wlALbogeJStoebiJrEMUZN0q_AtZtA_75D5sfqcwcX8NV5t_4PXbt-A=w2400

Leavenworth/Cashmere Area:
vlmAIQnxG-DiWaQkW_oFi8JyYnNz_fXR5Atb800UT4LBoCgautKWmD9Jmvj6C53nFCilzCzmjsGTSkuDd0PxVQOmjIBXWWmGE7N6_ii28xmO4NTI88D1TIFIhOUDJXGLW8xQXv_fdg=w2400

Camp for the second night:
jmlFNjy9cxIq1cbKTnygu8Oh0vTnAsWquwcsMTduskuDKPsKhIFTvjqoranv8_-hHRJgneoAzvjPche1dvam6RbNtwbQt0M6Rk40akZpjpYhZLlNUSZUfXBVOyi2NqApTFPR9r6BYQ=w2400

B8u2UfigllKnmQ1zbKozb8i6zR1zMR8Iar-MgAeFJOVV-l5PJ26FfJ3fCRlPv6a7c5GFD6Z4TqeLcSiaguXqpl-E5rNsY5XydrS7dsDBoEEG4tEN8UFIy5Wqob1pdqMEljqTeYknww=w2400

Airing Up!
HnyeCarmSLNDke0XBlKnyPeHPcuJMrFNiv9DVEfEjpR5w428-f9m5Pwn-AL7r_yP8p4KC3DXNifl_OO2QOlPWPUtQM3lCptzN7lhkqBuafUOFGFiJclA3l0xhrpjArSnqelfT_YwyQ=w2400

Last edited:

Trikebubble

Adventurer
Great pictures. Have you driven the Old Blewet Highway yet? It's been on my list for years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier