DMSKI's 2006 Xterra

shmabs

Explorer
I'm curious to hear your thoughts on the OME setup. I just picked up an 06 Xterra last week and ordered the same suspension today.

Mike

jhberria

Adventurer
Truck looks great man! How's the OME setup working out for you? You'll have to show me some local trails up in those parts.

Dmski

Adventurer
Truck looks great man! How's the OME setup working out for you? You'll have to show me some local trails up in those parts.
Thanks man! OME is a fantastic setup! Stiffer ride which I prefer, but it makes the truck an entirely different rig. Compared to the tired suspension I had on it there is no comparison. Been driving with it for 2 weeks now and can't get enough of it. No bottoming out, less brake dive/squishy brake feel due to stiffer front and cornering is much improved.
I'm curious to hear your thoughts on the OME setup. I just picked up an 06 Xterra last week and ordered the same suspension today.

Mike

Install it and don't look back! I had about a year to get a feel for the worn suspension and I was sick of it. With the OME it is night and day. Everything is improved, and the install was straight forward. I managed to do the front in an hour and half actually. The rear... well that took the rest of the day. Stiff bolts didn't help.

Actually a few tips that I didn't find in any readings:
  • Remove the front/rear sway bar from the beginning so you aren't fighting them later on.
  • Buy the camber bolts. Seriously.
  • The rear shackle is not a through bolt. The bolt is welded to the plate, so the entire shackle comes off to remove the leaf. I ruined the threads trying to hammer it out and then realized this...
  • Be sure to install the shims the correct direction. Almost messed that up.
  • PB blast every bolt. Worst ones were the rear shock bolts on the bottom.

And a few links/items and specs for anyone else who needs them:
  • Top 3 coil over nuts = 22ft-lbs
  • Lower shock bolts/nuts = 155ft-lbs
  • Tie rod end links = 63ft-lbs
  • Lug nuts = 98 ft-lbs
  • Sway bar = 62 ft-lbs
  • Center bolt leaf spring = Just tighten with ratchet.
  • Upper Shock Mount Nut: 33 ft-lbs
  • Lower Shock Mount: 148 ft-lbs
  • Axle U-Bolt Nuts: 53 ft-lbs
  • Swaybar Mount: 36 ft-lbs

Front/Rear install:
http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=54225

Front coilover install:
http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=7524

Rear leaf install:
http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=5301

stioc

Expedition Leader
Lots of upgrades, looks great. I really liked the idea of having a real AT temp gauge. Nice work!

Dmski

Adventurer
Thanks man. Its right where I'd like it to be and does everything I need of it. Surprising how the X lifted with 33's looks so proportionate that it looks like factory just taller. They should have sent them from Nissan like this in my opinion. AT temp gauge was pretty easy to do and by far the best thing since its good to know when things are getting too hot.

shmabs

Explorer
Thanks for the advice on the OME setup, so far I am really happy with the way it rides, and the install went VERY smoothly.

Mike

Dmski

Adventurer
Thanks man! They are all over the place off of highway 2 headed towards Stevens Pass. Most of the summer has been exploring those areas, just taking each dirt road we saw and checking them off. Reiter has a few places to go explore as well as the official ORV park but be prepared for body damage if you decide to go in there. Its pretty gnarly. Heading further east just around skykomish roads start to really pop up and that area is great for camping and exploring. Beckler river is good camping and goes way back on the main paved road. Tons to check out!

Dmski

Adventurer
Been a while but a couple of months ago we did the Gallagher lake trail. Very fun but it was absolutely dumping so opted out of staying up top and cooking in the rain and made a night run of it. A trail anyone should take a look at and is certainly doable in stock form. Some of the photo cred goes to Nick.

Trip report to Cle Elum area:
lO5oqbyYhGi_asV8UA0OtY-nkeNNooYEPUH9olCt_z76EYSAyaLlgbNNy79QKA8xwUo3vPI5fpePiLc6GM5dL29CJeScU7GWfb934Rp3P4XN87vcKiAwdeIhNLBAOzOEtlRPGXgrqQ=w2400

Us1dUScEe8-dhRNe0tr0u3ibm_Z1sDqo50gzn_MHa0ClhLrU2KwCZeOgvT_zzjKWfj0MQ4Q_E_GyUDGfCEyA60X901nDlfcF8w1EE_HkSS-QcL_4soGkZoG14_nvVyCCBzfTt1VXsQ=w2400

jcH7gu7ACb1taFrCNwgz1BzgHD1VpzXYVKDMjZYohTfC0c2FZ3uJMZr9ULgKhInHxKzLhhwI5D36HEVEFIGt-nu1o3TnV1ecvJQXOkhWKO87QWBPNud9WVkxYhZS0VuNIX_hjpYkoQ=w2400

-RY-doYVf7dL-THJV8DuPYRiESbqGrR8dD1Ei4DeBbIu5ogo8-jn20v-k4sAFmAjLIvXhkvYcPQ4LGoAV_Cn6ADYxhj1ADpM__wyF0iOF7w9ApxbI-__OYTkd6DgDP18Weip8m5UCQ=w2400

This is when we started to realize why we shouldn't try to get all the way to the lake... Getting stuck was the theme of this trip... Wayyyyy to much winching was done. We were out there for nearly 3 hours trying to unstick rigs. But it was fun to work on recovery skills and attempt to reach the lake.
zMCFvSj6qWO94DLQbgbMHv7T3NknbH-KeaVQzR3e4xhA44KSNvDDVg6aCs3GU-NbxMFXU2YBPjxfsOSRXVw1W8_EyWb8uCWHyaQpW0hcxroXhPKLPmQlNiZ_t-o77P3RV-oApfdFHQ=w2400

tski5Qfr5ixRVJGF6Ol58xHdYXI-viWtzh1nBcHchH7Ving7t7rZtAxNKJe0iExzYCD6GNKJ88cE1oQPDsE1sWfyhAe8narRyo-svUSg61dpVHAt7ZO9Yku8bOI9KNx2UJxIIv1BVA=w2400

ROoWg-KsbuDc8ZV7RZTrJnbWJH6ybgtBjbnVRqhRxwjw7T6Q6K5UXpGq4MOXMKDStmzrOLELmvEi2kHvRat75WwCossJkmyvuTXv-Q02XLQ4Jbmm7id-Kt4fWnEevlnluhrKwgowmg=w2400

Last edited:

Dmski

Adventurer
Hey all i've posted this on thenewx but if you or anyone you know has a set of SPC UCA's for sale I am interested. This year I'll be finishing up the lift with spacers, shackles and upper control arms to sit level at 3" of lift and that should complete the suspension portion of the rig.

jhberria

Adventurer
I'll keep an eye out for you in the local area. I'm still in California, but still monitor the forums and Craigslist.

Dmski

Adventurer
Got out this weekend with the crew! Plenty of fun to be had at Tahuya. The first day was excellent and muddy as per the NW standard. Some photo cred goes to my buddy in the Land Cruiser

Plenty of fun to be had at Tahuya. The first day was excellent and muddy as per the NW standard. Some photo cred goes to my buddy in the Land Cruiser

0EyIj3J4qFQFJmEOlsI07X0KeTsXmV4UyVK0kChBI2bkZi8vzgvcJCG6XMRFU5r8kb7s8qlxfsY5k6UinLpiBp2671KcLXyorkA5boAxm932rq64M7Ie7_m0tmRsFGn_MLI0tat4KQ=w2400

Gettin close to the sides, may need to get sliders sooner than i thought:
euJB6-TaBlX-2HQHwsRFqF_-sXou4eRUOB_1V-GP0gNOHSfo3AY_Awd2frkBUwxNgl6VsWsdUIy7SvWsO8YGS31EX64hICthFPpGzsU3uXcplQ01JVw7hP-EjI8ZzQqJD061plwggA=w2400

The second day was filled with firsts for us. Our jeep friend had the opportunity to winch out a TJ that had gotten hung up in the rock garden but the day was unfortunately cut short by the jeep getting hydrolocked... Praying he would start up, we snatched him out and pulled the plugs and dried everything. We got lucky this time when it fired back up after a little bit of work. Called it quits and drove to the nearest Oreillys for a quick oil change and filter install. Snorkel may have bumped up on our lists.

P_9rC4f4pGRwNfkJSC-4noZ06L309ZsZzQ52DW3_swTJ5ynqQji3vwZln45gXV0tskXVJ9MYLbiURMSR1ZpspMMtTCWt1L8dJeaA-xFChJ2zuq9_Eq7oMJRUzhJUJFqsd0QBQvJTRQ=w2400

oTzHBba7xbA4f3jSnwsXDMuvCO96yotrw5VMn2ISZyvnIuDR7B3QYFfDtCuxf-jHP99mk3mF_FXM4NJfNzzlEOjphxYaGnPYcQRzlStr3jmaOd6S__qXf6fXadRJNBFjYrfWl45KXA=w2400

F8-q6SykMa4Uh0KdYrGEofRrkIDT_tKaQE3ScNvG5tFTo8A1G_kbFl39fT23argDd7Qb-IMu4RKU69AqLfMRGk_JAVJuiXJ5Ib-K96puAgerX5n6vxiZUr4us3Ku2hO_1lfOB30sEw=w2400

0qqYD9YO6KDfGN6Z0j5xLUDPTlvBrgc5FGIjDemhHGNcqwGTLdS-q58I0jgmCCW2O6qxxSUKeKMucHQ4xBG2fxdjpk19OQBLgTMulYXWUOLgT1rKLfoI3k66nJXN_8LvgOL72EjsAw=w2400

Last edited:

jhberria

Adventurer
Looks like a good time, but sucks about the jeep. Is the water that deep up there right now? Are there bypasses for the deeper pools?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz