DMSKI's 2006 Xterra

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Good point I always try to look for maximum life, but they are just tires so if they don't fit the bill I can always pull them off and sell them. Out of curiousity, I gave les schwab a call to see what a mount, balance and new valve stems would cost and it was about $120. Is this pretty standard? Can I get away with not buying valve stems or would that not be wise?

I always get new valve stems. As a general rule, when I'm dealing with something that holds back pressure, I always try to use new parts. Leaks are way too annoying.

RockyZuk

Observer
Quite a few things have been done over the last couple of weeks to the X! What I thought was the beginning of a troubled battery was actually my battery terminal connector. Completely rusted apart so I opted to replace it with a marine grade brass terminal connector. Much better! Of course this issue would happen right before a day trip but it was a quick 30 minute fix, mostly involving cleaning and removing old contact points/bolts.

This exact same thing happened to me. I was building garden boxes and bought one too few boards, went back bought the one board, Xterra wouldn't start. Terminal was completely corroded away. spent the next 90 minutes walking Napa to the get a new connector and installing it in the parking lot. All for one piece of wood.

Dmski

Adventurer
I always get new valve stems. As a general rule, when I'm dealing with something that holds back pressure, I always try to use new parts. Leaks are way too annoying.

Good point! Best not cheap out on that I guess, especially if I need them reliable!

This exact same thing happened to me. I was building garden boxes and bought one too few boards, went back bought the one board, Xterra wouldn't start. Terminal was completely corroded away. spent the next 90 minutes walking Napa to the get a new connector and installing it in the parking lot. All for one piece of wood.

Glad I'm not the only one! Probably one of Nissan's worst design oversights... I mean c'mon if ya look at what is holding to the battery, its pretty chincy. Glad you sorted yours out easy enough.

Dmski

Adventurer
Well, I pulled the trigger on the used set of Duratracs in the 285/70/17 size! They looked decent and had 80% tread left to boot! I had just a small local shop throw them on for me. I gained probably 1+" in ground clearance and they look sweet! I did have to do a slight melt mod since they were just barely touching in the rear of the wheel well, but honestly I was pretty impressed with how they fit. Now I just need to find a spare duratrac in the same size to put on my 5th wheel.

Comparison:

jhberria

Adventurer
Awesome! You'll be amazed how much difference a good set of tires will aid you on the trail, I know I was. The extra clearance under the diff won't hurt either.

Dmski

Adventurer
Thanks for the input guys! For my first impressions, I have to say its pretty good! I like being up higher even if its just a little bit. My other comment on these is that they are much louder than my little highway tire. To the point where I think I may need to check my alignment. I get zero rub anywhere but it does certainly "howl" from 40 on up. Since I've never been on this aggressive of a tire in this truck I think its the getting used to stage. Can't wait to try them out this weekend in the dirt!

stioc

Expedition Leader
Wow, that size looks really good like it was meant for it. Do you have some better pics from a bit further away?

I have a feeling though that you'll feel some difference in torque and acceleration especially if you drive with lots of gear/people.

richard310

pew pew
...it's like that MT howl isn't it? Just be weary on the wear of the tire as well.

I love the way the Duratracs look and it's dual purpose tread. Looks great on your rig Dmski.

Jack Stilts

Subaru Ambassador
Just caught up with all your progress and Xterra swapping; love the new one! I'm sure the old one will be missed.

Dmski

Adventurer
Thanks guys! Well, with used tires there is always a gamble on the quality and for the duratracs, it was a case of not quite cutting it. They ended up being too loud due to having some funky wear from the previous guy. Paired with the fact that I had no spare, I opted to throw those back up on craigslist and go for another set. No harm in new Duratracs, but I figure if I want tires that will last you gotta get them done right. Anyone need Duratracs haha?

Now I'm sitting on the Cooper Discoverer AT3 tires in the same size of 285/70/17 and all I can say is WOW! Had these for less than a week but they are quiet and great on road, and I took them for a trip offroad and they performed flawlessly. Aired down they were great over bumps and rocks and I put probably 100 miles on them offroad. I'll keep everyone posted on how they do in the long run but I'm impressed so far. MPG did take a hit of about 1-1.5 but I'm willing to live with that.

mortonm

Expedition Leader
Thanks guys! Well, with used tires there is always a gamble on the quality and for the duratracs, it was a case of not quite cutting it. They ended up being too loud due to having some funky wear from the previous guy. Paired with the fact that I had no spare, I opted to throw those back up on craigslist and go for another set. No harm in new Duratracs, but I figure if I want tires that will last you gotta get them done right. Anyone need Duratracs haha?

Now I'm sitting on the Cooper Discoverer AT3 tires in the same size of 285/70/17 and all I can say is WOW! Had these for less than a week but they are quiet and great on road, and I took them for a trip offroad and they performed flawlessly. Aired down they were great over bumps and rocks and I put probably 100 miles on them offroad. I'll keep everyone posted on how they do in the long run but I'm impressed so far. MPG did take a hit of about 1-1.5 but I'm willing to live with that.

all you guys with your AT3s really doing the testing for me before I need new tires this fall, thanks guys!

Dmski

Adventurer
all you guys with your AT3s really doing the testing for me before I need new tires this fall, thanks guys!

Haha I have no gripes with the tire yet. I liked it because people claimed it to work well in snow and rain, which we get plenty of up here.

Just caught up with all your progress and Xterra swapping; love the new one! I'm sure the old one will be missed.

Thanks! The old one is definitely missed and sometimes I wish I had kept it to just have it as a dedicated expo rig vs a daily driver. Plus rowing my own was too fun!

Wow, that size looks really good like it was meant for it. Do you have some better pics from a bit further away?

Pics to come of the new 33's but I really like how they fill up the wheel wells. My 3.13 gearing is making the rig work overtime, but not as bad as I had suspected.

I have a feeling though that you'll feel some difference in torque and acceleration especially if you drive with lots of gear/people.

It is negligable in town, but going up the hills in the mountains is much more noticeable. Especially with gear. Thankfully there is lots of power and the overdrive off button but I'd still like to get better gearing from a fronty in there to help it out. For now though, I'm ok with it.

...it's like that MT howl isn't it? Just be weary on the wear of the tire as well.

I love the way the Duratracs look and it's dual purpose tread. Looks great on your rig Dmski.

Thanks! Wish the Duratracs worked out and am in no way deterred by them, just my cheapness trying to find used ended up biting me a little bit. They looked good for the short while they were on there though that is for sure!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior