DMSKI's 2006 Xterra

Dmski

Adventurer
Looks like a good time, but sucks about the jeep. Is the water that deep up there right now? Are there bypasses for the deeper pools?

Most have bypass options except for a few, this puddle we thought would be like the previous hole and not too deep. How wrong were we?! Guess thats what happens when you don't check it or watch someone else go in... His rig started up though and he is good to go! May need to do another oil change sooner than normal and check the rest of his fluids but otherwise he seems to be running fine. Those 4.0 inline 6's are tough nuts to crack. Super easy to do the trail fix on though. I was wondering how long it would take to remove all my plugs if I had ingested water and I wouldn't be looking forward to that.

Dmski

Adventurer
Mmmmm, carnage. Looks like a blast!

Yeah no kidding! Actually started to look into snorkel options. I know Airflow is offered but at a steep price. I've been looking into building one out of exhaust tubing or adapting another vehicle snorkel to the X. No one has done it though so I'm in uncharted waters here. The fender flares out pretty much imediately on the X so I'm trying to find something that would fit from another vehicle. Possibly a Prado, Navara, or hilux/4runner snorkel off ebay. Those are cheap at around $100 but I just don't know how it would fit the lines of the X.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Yeah no kidding! Actually started to look into snorkel options. I know Airflow is offered but at a steep price. I've been looking into building one out of exhaust tubing or adapting another vehicle snorkel to the X. No one has done it though so I'm in uncharted waters here. The fender flares out pretty much imediately on the X so I'm trying to find something that would fit from another vehicle. Possibly a Prado, Navara, or hilux/4runner snorkel off ebay. Those are cheap at around $100 but I just don't know how it would fit the lines of the X.

If I was you, I'd just go to the Airflow. Otherwise I don't think it would look quite right. The X is a really unique shape, and I think you'd have a hard time adapting something.

Dmski

Adventurer
If I was you, I'd just go to the Airflow. Otherwise I don't think it would look quite right. The X is a really unique shape, and I think you'd have a hard time adapting something.

Yeah I don't mind the airflow, just seeing if I can't create or make something work. I'll give it the ol college try and see what I can come up with but I may end up having to save for an airflow. I've been toying with the idea of making one as well. Very interesting DIY project here that would be a serious test of my skills: http://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/diy-homemade-carbon-fiber-snorkel.485105/ I'd use kevlar instead of carbon fiber if I did it but man that is time intensive...

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Yeah I don't mind the airflow, just seeing if I can't create or make something work. I'll give it the ol college try and see what I can come up with but I may end up having to save for an airflow. I've been toying with the idea of making one as well. Very interesting DIY project here that would be a serious test of my skills: http://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/diy-homemade-carbon-fiber-snorkel.485105/ I'd use kevlar instead of carbon fiber if I did it but man that is time intensive...

Oh wow, I hadn't seen that before! That looks pretty cool. I'd be cheering for you did you did try it. I'd be seriously impressed. That'd be sweet

Last edited:

Dmski

Adventurer
Little update. Added an air/oil separator after the PCV about 1000 miles back. It has already collected a surprising amount although about what I'd expect from blow by. Maybe its just the slower speeds in Oregon, but I was able to average 20MPG down to Bend a few weeks ago. Doubt this had anything to do with it, but I haven't had that good of gas mileage for a long time. In city still isn't great though...

2LqccUG.jpg

Bend was pretty fun and ended up finding a little dirt too!

Last edited:

Dmski

Adventurer
Teaser! I ended up grabing this scratch and dent ARB bumper for a frontier. It comes with nothing so I'm going to be making some mounts. I'll use the Shrockworks bumper mounts for the connection to the frame, and then weld to those.
7goy3Ba.jpg

Last edited:

Dmski

Adventurer
Thanks guys! Excited on it! Scratch and dent find that I couldn't pass up. No mounts, no lights, no nothing really. Just what you see in the picture is what I get. So now its time to fab some mounts and get it installed. Ideally I'd go with the ARB mounts but its a pretty $400+ for the brackets... Plus this is actually a frontier bumper so the mounts would be too low.

RockyZuk

Observer
Great looking rig! and even better color ;) I have a Midnight Blue 06 myself that I just added the full OME medium duty lift to over the weekend. I couldnt agree more with everything you have said about the OME lift. you really can't compare the before and after, and my favorite part is with 33's it has the factory stance just almost 3" taller. I am really jealous of your Tan/Slate interior BTW!

Trikebubble

Adventurer
Thanks guys! Excited on it! Scratch and dent find that I couldn't pass up. No mounts, no lights, no nothing really. Just what you see in the picture is what I get. So now its time to fab some mounts and get it installed. Ideally I'd go with the ARB mounts but its a pretty $400+ for the brackets... Plus this is actually a frontier bumper so the mounts would be too low.

I saw on an Xterra forum somewhere once, a guy had fabbed up his own brackets for his ARB bumper. He didn't like how far he thought it sat from the vehicle, so he didn't use the crush brackets and made his own. I think it shouldn't be too hard for you to sort out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier