New owner of a 1991 shadow cruiser.

Bigvw

That is the rear. The window is to small, but the side window on the drivers side is perfect for a window unit. I'll load that picture next.

Bigvw

There are some of the pictures, I think the small window above the sink would be the best for the window unit. What do you guys think.
Oh ya it has a metal roof. and wow it needs caulking bad. I put a tarp over it because of that. At least until I get the caulk to do it. Will the self leveling caulk work for it. Or should I get some tub and tile caulk. I think I will do some research and see what is best. I can not believe how light the camper is. I was looking at getting a new Palomino before we got this, and they are about 1700 lbs and this is 1100 loaded. Crazy. I also put the Happijak on it, I found them used on Craigslist. I cant wait to use it with the wife.

gingerK

I do believe yours is a bit older than mine, although they have the same layout. After looking at your pics, I had to go take a look at mine; my rear window is horizontal so I would have put the ac there. I have seen them with the ac in the passenger side windows and it works well that way.

Everyone seems to like Dicor caulk, pricey but they claim it's worth it for roofs.

Darn fine shape for it's age!

brian90744

American Trekker
A/C info

I see lots of tent trailer with roof A/C. check with camper mfg if it OK to use roof A/C. Check Ebay for used/new A/c's. Side window it would stick out to far and would be 4" over sink, plus wind drag.
just FYI=brian

Bigvw

I was thinking about making a door in that window. Then I get to campsite take off door and put in ac. I would not drive with it in. They ha e some small window units that weigh very little and at 5000 btu my Honda eu 2000 could power me up. Or I could cut a hole in the rear and put an ac that stays in. That's a good idea also. I do hate knowing I would have to put it in and out every time.

Bigvw

Or could I cut a hole to the right of the rear window. Could that be done without hurting the camper?

brian90744

American Trekker
more A/C info

Yes, you could increase the rear window hole and install a 5K window unit, I would use the Northstar A/C kit. this help the back wall strength and cut out size. that's what I did. I also run my 6K A/C with Honda 2000.
=brian

Bigvw

Ok I just ordered the new roof vent in smoke. I also am going to get the caulk today so I can dig out all the old caulk along with the silicone caulk they used. This should be a fun day.
I also have decided to take out the old refrigerator, because it is very nasty. And I don't think I can get it going. I will then add my AC into the spot the fridge vacated. This will be a fun project. I like the idea of no AC showing. I have done some research and it seems that a lot of POPUP people do this mod. I have found one truck camper that did it and some vintage TT guys. So this will be fun, but I need to make sure the camper is water safe first. The wife is looking for all new material. She is going to sew new covers for all the cushions. I have been looking at all new LED lights for the interior, and the exterior. Only because I have some that don't work and are missing the lens. This is going to be fun.

potterjon

Observer
For what it's worth, I had my heart set on a/c also, because I was really wanting to go fishing at the beach. That said, I really haven't seen much of a need for it. I bought a really cheap fan and it has done me justice so far. But I have only used the camper once at the beach so far.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior