Tacoma tranny: 6spd vs. auto

NCsurfer

FWIW, I liked the 5 speed manual in my 2004 Tacoma. I think toyota beefed up the newer 6 speed in order to increase the tow rating. It's a pretty hefty rating for a smaller truck. Unfortunately that requires a more robust clutch and tranny. Less sporty more like a work truck.

SIZZLE

Pro-party
The six speed in my Lexus IS did the rev holding and also had poor gear spacing. It drove me nuts! The rev holding is for chicks that can't drive stick. I prefer manuals but in this case Toyota built a very good auto and a below average manual.

SGTCap

Adventurer
If I could change 1 thing about my truck it would be to swap the manual for an automatic trans. I hate my 6speed.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
If I could change 1 thing about my truck it would be to swap the manual for an automatic trans. I hate my 6speed.

I've heard that from more than one person.

The six speed in my Lexus IS did the rev holding and also had poor gear spacing. It drove me nuts! The rev holding is for chicks that can't drive stick. I prefer manuals but in this case Toyota built a very good auto and a below average manual.

I'm not sure it was anything they did deliberately, maybe the 6 speed was put in as an afterthought and not really tested or evaluated on the trucks. As I said above, it seems like Toyota kind of half-assed the 6 speed because they figured that most people would buy the auto but they had to at least offer a manual or else people would not even consider a Toyota.

It does seem odd that the 1st generation DC was only available with the slushbox, while the 2nd gen is available with the 6 speed manual. They could probably have just kept the 5 speed from the 1st gen Taco and only offered it on the 4 cyl and done just fine.

SIZZLE

Pro-party
I applaud them for offering a manual in every body style. Some guys really like their 6 speeds. Even gear spacing and an off switch for the rev holder. How hard is that?

Tinfish

Observer
The five speed manual in my 4 cylinder Tacoma is a really nice match with the engine, no rev holding or other issues. But I don't know if I would get the six speed, because I've read so many complaints about it and the newer autos are so much better than the old ones.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online