A challenge to the "lead sled" ADV bikes offered today

Clutch

<---Pass
That would be an awfully painful ride, to say, Alaska. A BDR ride yes, an ADV ride, I don't think so.
I await the day a manufacture makes ADV bike bodywork in Enduro bike plastic.

We do Mexico to Canada on Enduros, that is 2500 miles give or take...from where I am at it is about 2800 miles to the middle of Alaska, I don't see it being a problem.

For guys who absolutely need a fairing...still can go fairly minimalist and keep the weight down. The sub 300 lbs ADV bike does exist.

It is a 450-500 enduro with a 5 gallon tank.

11822550_10153548009664630_4034539908588539475_n.jpg

Last edited:

con kso

Adventurer
Just bought a '15 r1200gsa it's an awesome, awesome, awesome machine. Surprisingly nimble, it's sooo balanced.... and crazily sporty in the twisties. I'd ride it on a gravel road - it would be an excellent long range Alaska type machine- the thing is a road eating animal. But I have no pretensions that it's an offroad bike- sure it could be done but it's so much more fun on a lighter bike- that's why I've got a plated DRZ400.

I live basically right on the border- for splitting the lines at the border you need a narrow bike. So anytime we blast over for tacos, fillings, the vet or to get a moto tire changed (all these things can be had in TJ for a great price at high level of skill) the DRZ is always the call. Add a bigger tank or bungee a couple bleach bottle for extra gas to it and strap on a Giant Loop, Great Basin and a duffle behind it and you're Baja ready. Riding through sand and whoops on the DRZ... yawn, riding through sand on the GSA... white knuckles.

I like both bikes... and remember people all over the world typically ride bikes in the 125-150cc range.

A

agavelvr

Just bought a '15 r1200gsa it's an awesome, awesome, awesome machine. Surprisingly nimble, it's sooo balanced.... and crazily sporty in the twisties. I'd ride it on a gravel road - it would be an excellent long range Alaska type machine- the thing is a road eating animal. But I have no pretensions that it's an offroad bike- sure it could be done but it's so much more fun on a lighter bike- that's why I've got a plated DRZ400.

I live basically right on the border- for splitting the lines at the border you need a narrow bike. So anytime we blast over for tacos, fillings, the vet or to get a moto tire changed (all these things can be had in TJ for a great price at high level of skill) the DRZ is always the call. Add a bigger tank or bungee a couple bleach bottle for extra gas to it and strap on a Giant Loop, Great Basin and a duffle behind it and you're Baja ready. Riding through sand and whoops on the DRZ... yawn, riding through sand on the GSA... white knuckles.

I like both bikes... and remember people all over the world typically ride bikes in the 125-150cc range.

Glad those bikes work for you, but neither meets the specifications laid out in the initial post, which is the point. There are tons of bikes that can be made to "work", nothing new turn key at the moment.

Clutch

<---Pass
... nothing new turn key at the moment.

Ah BS ;)....everyone wants this unicorn perfect bike...seriously all it takes is bolting on a a bigger tank on, several bikes already exist that you can do that to. (and really, isn't this forum dedicated to bolting a bunch crap you really don't need on a vehicle anyways!?) Geez, there was a time when we used to fill old bleach bottles with fuel and attach them to our person. Guys complaining about it probably should stay on the couch....and some call themselves gnarly adventurers...but but Clutch, that picture is a KTM 690...some of us don't like KTM, and that one isn't pretty... whaaa... :D :) :p

https://www.facebook.com/therollinghobo?fref=ts

11903794_10153094836267828_3942309136995719299_n.jpg

Last edited:
A

agavelvr

meh.
The point of the thread was that industry should provide a turn key model.
Anyhow, I used to have that same bike with safari tank on it.
I have a 650 xchallenge with a touratech tank on it.
And I haul gatorade bottles on my 250.
It's obvious that it can be done, but that wasn't the point.

Ah BS ;)....everyone wants this unicorn perfect bike...seriously all it takes is bolting on a a bigger tank on, several bikes already exist that you can do that to. (and really, isn't this forum dedicated to bolting a bunch crap you really don't need on a vehicle anyways!?) Geez, there was a time when we used to fill old bleach bottles with fuel and attach them to our person. Guys complaining about it probably should stay on the couch....and some call themselves gnarly adventurers...but but Clutch, that picture is a KTM 690...some of us don't like KTM, and that one isn't pretty... whaaa... :D :) :p

https://www.facebook.com/therollinghobo?fref=ts

11903794_10153094836267828_3942309136995719299_n.jpg

jpachard

Adventurer
Much of this comes down to personal preference and what your definition of adventure riding is. For me, my rides include 2K miles of road riding followed by 1.8K of offroad and then 2k of road riding home. I'm typically gone for two weeks at a time so bringing good camp gear is a must. Doing that on a smaller bike would be miserable so I opt for a larger bike and get is setup as best I can for the dirt since that kind of setup is pretty good on the pavement too. In the end it's all a compromise and we each have our own areas of where we like to compromise.

Spending a good amount of time learning how to ride your bike of choice in the conditions you like to ride in is paramount.

We need to realize that no manufacturer is going to make what we really want since the wants are: a. so diverse and b. we are a tiny subset of their market.

Clutch

<---Pass
meh.
The point of the thread was that industry should provide a turn key model.
Anyhow, I used to have that same bike with safari tank on it.
I have a 650 xchallenge with a touratech tank on it.
And I haul gatorade bottles on my 250.
It's obvious that it can be done, but that wasn't the point.

meh meh.... :p

The manufacture could slap a fairing on an existing model like the KTM 690 and call it good (that is what the old 640's are anyways, big tank and a fairing)...which that seems what most so-called ADV Riders want...they want the "look" and not much else. (psssst...you don't need a faring...to have an ADV bike) From what I have seen in my travels and putting on events...not all, but the majority of ADV Riders are the new Harley people...all about the look, and don't want ride anything harder than a perfectly graded dirt road.

The fairing is to an ADV bike, what a Roof Top Tent is to an "Expedition" vehicle...

Last edited:
A

agavelvr

meh meh.... :p

The manufacture could slap a fairing on an existing model like the KTM 690 and call it good (that is what the old 640's are anyways, big tank and a fairing)...which that seems what most so-called ADV Riders want...they want the "look" and not much else. (psssst...you don't need a faring...to have an ADV bike) From what I have seen in my travels and putting on events...not all, but the majority of ADV Riders are the new Harley people...all about the look, and don't want ride anything harder than a perfectly graded dirt road.

The fairing is to an ADV bike, what a Roof Top Tent is to an "Expedition" vehicle...

They could just slap a decent gas tank on it with suspension setup for the average sized rider with average sized camping loads. Sure would be a massive improvement over the 3 gallon tank for the 169lbs fully clad rider.

It seems more people use 690s as light adventure bikes than hard dual sports or desert racers... You buy a lighter bike for that stuff. Which puts the 690 in this example an odd bike w/o purpose.

I think there is some truth to the Harley/fairing comment. The PO of my 640 was a hd rider that bought it for the style, not for dirt roads. Glad there are people out there buying them, makes good used bikes available for the rest of us :)

Clutch

<---Pass
I think there is some truth to the Harley/fairing comment. The PO of my 640 was a hd rider that bought it for the style, not for dirt roads. Glad there are people out there buying them, makes good used bikes available for the rest of us :)

I rarely rarely see big ADV bikes out in the wild (in the dirt)...I do see them perfectly clean running down the hwy, with all the "right" gear to go sit at Starbucks tho'. Like Harleys, the ADV bike has become a fashion accessory.

They could just slap a decent gas tank on it with suspension setup for the average sized rider with average sized camping loads. Sure would be a massive improvement over the 3 gallon tank for the 169lbs fully clad rider.

They don't even have to do it...that is what I have been saying, the lightweight adventure bike does exist...it is an enduro with a 5 gallon tank. Hell, the KTM 500 puts out darn near 60 horsepower in a 250 lbs. bike, majority of the average riders will never even come close to using it all.

You can keep that thing sub 300 lbs, with gear.

GR8ADV

Explorer
Hell, the KTM 500 puts out darn near 60 horsepower in a 250 lbs. bike, majority of the average riders will never even come close to using it all.

You can keep that thing sub 300 lbs, with gear.

Yes but with 4-500 mile oil service intervals and 800-1000 mile valve checks, it is not practical for any sort of traveling.

Clutch

<---Pass
Yes but with 4-500 mile oil service intervals and 800-1000 mile valve checks, it is not practical for any sort of traveling.

Then it is going to be a pig....how does that old saying go...you want 3 things, you can have 2... ;) :)

These guys didn't seem to have a problem...it is more about your frame of mind than the bike.

Could always build up a 2-Stroke....light...no valves to worry about...new Betas have oil injection that drastically reduces oil consumption.

Last edited:
A

agavelvr

I have really grown to love the 600-650 performance orientated bikes for traveling. The 690, 640, and Xchallenge are great for everything except technical single track, but the 640 is the only one set up for travel from the factory. I can pick them up by myself when I drop them and without taking off the luggage. Had a hard time in that regard with the KLR. Still, it's a lot more fun riding the 250 on everything dirt.

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
You could probably also add the TE610/630 to that mix. Strangely, to me, none of those bikes sold very well in the US. For me, I'll never get rid of my 650 thumper because it is such a versatile bike. It won't fly through every type of trail, but it can pretty much get through any trail. Certainly any trail I am willing to take it on.

Clutch

<---Pass
I have really grown to love the 600-650 performance orientated bikes for traveling.

Not sure that the ol' 600-650's are relevant any more...the LC4 maxed out at 55 hp IIRC, modern 450-500 is touch more than that, and between 75-100 lbs lighter, much better power to weight ratio.

The 690, 640, and Xchallenge are great for everything except technical single track, but the 640 is the only one set up for travel from the factory.

Why KTM hasn't made the 690 and ADV models is a mystery...though even the 640 ADV is just bigger tank and fairing (don't really need a fairing, imo)..and oh yeah, low rally style front fender, which isn't the greatest in the mud.

ktm640.jpg

KTM640LC4Adventure-449_1.jpg

A

agavelvr

saw this yesterday at the Moto Hall of Fame...

Since we are talking about unicorn farts...
It would be cool if KTM sold a consumer version of the 450 rally for touring. That would check all the boxes. Light, capable, range, drool factor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior