"So I found this thing on Craigslist..." Tacoma Camper Build [djmase]

bphang10

Observer
enjoyed the article! i too subscribe to the "can do" attitude, or at least "can try". aother advantage is if you do the work, you know how to fix it should something go wrong on the road. i'm learning as i go and feel much more prepared to tackle problems down the line.

on another note: did you work out your step situation? if not this might work for you, it did for me on my shadow cruiser. there was tight 1 1/2" gap between the wings of the camper body and the top rail of the truck bed. i carried about a 24" piece of 2 x 12 and wedged it perpendicular to the camper body on top of the bed rail, pushed all the way to the camper it left about a foot cantilevered outside the bed. then use my rear 3 step stool and step up on the cantilever and had plenty of height for access to the racks. then just move it back to the other rack or other side of truck.

Camelfilter

Explorer
Did a little article for the guys over at Proven Overland and thought I'd share the link regarding my rig and affordable overlanding. http://www.provenoverland.com/the-overland-blog/14098713/djmase

Thanks for the article, very nice.

"<Craigslist searching>...Pro Tip: Search with slight modifications to spelling (spell it wrong), search at least 3-4 times a day if you are serious, and if you really want it, follow the instructions in the ad while mentioning that you have cash on hand..."

Great advice rite there!

"...Conclusion: Overlanding - or at least gearing up to overland - does not require a huge amount of funds as long as one is willing to invest time/energy in the search, the brain power in the puzzle solving, and persistence in the quest to get outside of one's own mental box of limitations!..."

Yup...

djmase

Adventurer
Not much of an update on the build...we have been busy on the road. :wings:

IMG_2448.jpg
IMG_2452.jpg

And then we headed to the beach...little monkey needed a nap.

IMG_2475.jpg

Sold my old v2.0 guts to a buddy and helped him get it install. Another simple overland rig was born.
IMG_2488.jpg

Quick stop at home to regroup then loaded up again to meet two other families down south for the long weekend.
IMG_2501.jpg
IMG_2531.jpg
IMG_2533.jpg
IMG_2643.jpg
IMG_2625.jpg

Then we packed up and headed back up the mountain....see next post.

djmase

Adventurer
Following Ryan, we wound our way east and up.

Little dude waking up on the upper deck to a frosting dawn.
IMG_2541.jpg
The Ritz...
IMG_2543.jpg
IMG_2617.jpg
IMG_2623.jpg
IMG_2649.jpg
IMG_2657.jpg
IMG_2632.jpg
IMG_2674.jpg

After we got back from the latest runs, it was pretty clear that we needed a table for our outside kitchen, so I cooked this guy up over NYD.
IMG_2680.jpg
IMG_2706.jpg

TacomaJack09

Observer
Great thread sir! I just picked up a popup for my Tacoma for $700 on Craigslist and am currently rebuilding it with my dad. Thank you for the inspiration!!

djmase

Adventurer
Inspiring indeed! How do you squeeze a car seat and 2 adults into the taco?

Good question. On the passenger side the back seat is built to take a car seat, but is a tight squeeze. To help out, I removed the flip down seat portion (Butt pad) which was eating up 2+ inches of space that could be donated to the knee room of the front seat. With the rear facing (and smallest on the market version Chico Keyfit 30) my 5-7 wife can sit in there without hitting her knees on the globe box. We have logged about 2500 miles with this set up and so far it is working great!

djmase

Adventurer
It's too bad that the extended cab side facing or jump seats went the way of the hula hoop. When my boys were of car seat age those worked rather well IMO.

Exactly. When I was younger, I was on a lawn crew and we had side facing seats in the back of an extended cab that were pretty decent. With my build, not only are they front facing, but they is also one baby chair platform. :( Needless to say, I am snooping for a Tundra to swap into for a better fit.

djmase

Adventurer
I had a question about the infant seat solution. I use the word solution delicately because unless your partner is somewhat short and tough enough to put up with a bit less leg room than previously, it is not a total solution. BUT, short of buying a different truck, it is a pretty solid fix.

If you pull off the back panel you can remove one of the seat cushions to make a bit more space for the base to slide back. Takes about 30 minutes with basic tools.
IMG_2728.jpg

I use the shoulder belt through the hoops because the truck doesn't have factory lower anchor points, only the upper.
IMG_2729.jpg

IMG_2730.JPG

IMG_2731.JPG

With the baby seat in place, the passenger seat can be in a fair recline spot and one or two clicks back from the front most position. It works for my wife, but may not work for all. Try it out, could be a very good money saver, or at least a short term solution.

We use the Chico Keyfit 30. I looked at the Keyfit 22 thinking it would be smaller, IT IS NOT. Buy the 30 which is good for up to 30lb baby. The frame is the same size for both units. In Ca once the kid hits 22-ish LBs they can go in a front facing seat...that will probably go better in an access cab Tacoma than the rear...we shall see.

Waltzing Matilda

Adventurer
This is a great thread! I've been considering a popup, have settled for a Callen for mostly Baja trips out of San Diego. Your creativity is inspiring me to search again.

Your baby looks darling- a true happy camper! 1 question: does he make good coffee?

After a long weekend with the solar set, I am pretty happy. We run very little juice in the TC, and things were topped back off by mid morning each day.

Here are some pictures of a baby enjoying the finer things in life: truck camping and making the morning coffee.

View attachment 258390
View attachment 258391
View attachment 258392

djmase

Adventurer
This is a great thread! I've been considering a popup, have settled for a Callen for mostly Baja trips out of San Diego. Your creativity is inspiring me to search again.

Your baby looks darling- a true happy camper! 1 question: does he make good coffee?

My buddy runs a Callen great unit. My wife and I strongly considered going that route before we found ours. Affordable TC that fit a Tacoma are as about as difficult to find as Callens that fit our Tacoma. I was looking for both and think it was a matter of timing that we ended up in the TC. Honestly, we both love how bright it is, how spacious it feels when it is up, and that we have most of what we need inside the camper for cold or crummy weather.

I was told by a wide TC friend, get one that had a good functioning lift mechanism, a good canvas, and little to no rot (if it is a wood frame). Other than that, just sharpen your pencil and go to town. If you are a Callen user, any shell model TC would be a perfect canvas for you.

Finally, mini-me does not have the coffee on lockdown yet, but he can fill up a mean diaper. :Wow1: He enjoys watching me* make the morning coffee.

I don't want to cramp your style, but if you have a hint of a feeling that a TC would work for you, I am guessing you will love it.

PS: That is a beauty of a Callen!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior