"So I found this thing on Craigslist..." Tacoma Camper Build [djmase]

djmase

Adventurer
Welp...I killed the saw my neighbor gave me, but I got four feet cut in the meanwhile. Given that I don't want to over load the rig and that I will probably mount the solar set up directly to the roof...four feet may be enough.

IMG_1797.JPG
IMG_1801.JPG
IMG_1800.JPG
IMG_1799.JPG
IMG_1798.JPG

Need a bit of VHB and some 78" bars and I am good to go....

djmase

Adventurer
Gutters in place, still trying to source affordable 78" thule bars.
Seem to be quite stable with my limited testing. I don't plan to put much weight up there, primarily surf boards and a rocket box for sleeping bags, etc. If need be, I can through bolt them to the roof frame.

IMG_1830.JPG
IMG_1829.JPG
IMG_1831.JPG
IMG_1832.JPG

Last edited:

LuckyDan

Adventurer
Keep on adding an redoing and I'll keep reading. Actually I just went through the whole post. Well done sir and I do look forward to more.

Thanks for sharing.

Willman

Great build thread! Love your setup! Those Badland bumpers are very nice and also made right here in WA.

djmase

Adventurer
Great build thread! Love your setup! Those Badland bumpers are very nice and also made right here in WA.

Thanks William!
It has been fun thus far, thankfully we have way more hours logged camping, on the road, and at the beach with it than tinkering with it.:wings:

Feel like that is a win...

djmase

Adventurer
The quest for surf racks is drawing to a close.
Unfortunately, I generally need to use a step ladder to get up there.

IMG_1878.jpg
IMG_1877.jpg
IMG_1876.JPG
IMG_1875.JPG

Curtis in Texas

Adventurer
Let me see if I can explain how I load my Kayak on my truck roof to help you figure an easier way to load your boards.

I use Yakama Round bar racks on the top of my 4x4 Expedition rig. And as you can imagine it's tall. So I made a 20" tube that goes inside the end of the round Yakima Bar. I store it in the rear door pocket when not loading the boat. My 17' 2 seat Jocassee Kayak use to be a bear to load, but with the small bar insert I can raise up the nose of the Kayak and set it on top of the extension. Which is padded with heat shrink. It sticks out far enough from the truck body I can set the entire boat on the extension.

Then I go to the other end raise it up and push the boat toward the center of the truck roof. Once I get to the center of the boat I set the bow into the front Kayak Saddle, raise up the stern and walk it over to the rear Kayak Saddle. I can load this long boat by myself this way!
Then just remember to remove the rod insert from it's spot inside the Yakima Round bar and start strapping the boat down. Sometimes I even remember at this point to pop the end cap back in to keep down the wind whistle!

I use long straps that I toss over the Kayak and secure to the boat to the saddles. My saddle are almost 9 feet above the ground.

I know you've already made the cuts but, just so you all know!
I made simular brackets to attach my Gutter mounted Yakamia Rack to the top of my Pop Up camper many years ago, so I faced and solved the problem the same way you did. Great Minds!!!!

I work a lot with Aluminum. Even have an all aluminum race car trailer I built from scratch.
For cutting the Aluminum Tubing there is an aluminum saw blade made for use with either table or Skill saws. They have real small teeth and must be fed slow.
I use mine all the time to cut aluminum "I" beams. Some of the aluminum I cut is 16 inches wide and 3/8" thick. Band Saws work well with AL too! If you've got one!!!!!!:)

A table saw set up to rip your tubing (my preferred ripping tool) will work fine but like the guys said, be prepared for dangerous flying kerf. Goggles, face mask and long sleeve shirts are recommended.

And be prepared to sweep up your Aluminum Sawdust before you track it into the house on your clothes, hair and shoes because of the baby! Baby's live on the floor!

Another tip for steel metal shavings and specs in the eye sweep a magnet near the eye, but don't touch the skin or eye. The magnet will remove metal shavings and such without making contact. I keep a magnet pen on the side of my tool box and lathe just for this. But of course magnets don't work with aluminum. I have a nice collection of clear safety glasses. I buy them by the case and use them anytime I'm in the shop. Almost went blind from cataracts so I don't take my eyesight safety lightly!

Nice build! Enjoyed the read!

djmase

Adventurer
"I use Yakama Round bar racks on the top of my 4x4 Expedition rig. And as you can imagine it's tall. So I made a 20" tube that goes inside the end of the round Yakima Bar. I store it in the rear door pocket when not loading the boat. My 17' 2 seat Jocassee Kayak use to be a bear to load, but with the small bar insert I can raise up the nose of the Kayak and set it on top of the extension. Which is padded with heat shrink. It sticks out far enough from the truck body I can set the entire boat on the extension."

Curtis.
I have thought of a little mod like that for my truck, but the issue is not with loading as much as it is with strapping the boards down. They sit on the bar pads and I usually fasten them one of two ways. Both way require me being able to get to the inside edge of the board which is were the need for height comes in.

I tracked down a couple of these...if I can find a bit more structure in my camper in the right place, I will probably just mount these up to make getting up there easier. Finally, the aluminum advice is much appreciated...I don't think I am at the end of my aluminum cutting days.:ylsmoke:

part_img.jpg

djmase

Adventurer
Boondock Juice Issue Addressed:

50W Renogy with 10A charge controler and 300w inverter
IMG_2224.jpg

Charger control mounted on the pantry face, 2 feet from the fuse box and the battery
IMG_2227.jpg

Panel location
IMG_2228.jpg
IMG_2229.jpg

Plumbing the run was the most time consuming part of the whole ordeal. The systems are incredibly easy to set up.
I'll report back with how well it performs.

potterjon

Observer
Getting better all the time. Keep up the good work. I ended up using your tie down idea and it saved me a ton of cash, very much appreciated. I am now installing a maxx fan where the old vent was over the stove. Just have to fish a wire to it through the ceiling somehow.

djmase

Adventurer
After a long weekend with the solar set, I am pretty happy. We run very little juice in the TC, and things were topped back off by mid morning each day.

Here are some pictures of a baby enjoying the finer things in life: truck camping and making the morning coffee.

IMG_2247.jpg
IMG_2257.JPG
IMG_2271.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior