AEV Brute: The Ultimate Overlander?

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
I think those are good points, and I know of very few instances (if any) of people upfitting a Brute for actual overland use (not just the promotional material AEV uses). That said, as a JKUR owner, it's not like I have to really use my imagination to see how going from a JKUR to a Brute would be an improvement (and plenty of people use the JKUR for overlanding, yourself included, right?). Especially with a canopy like the Tacoma Habitat. For me, that would be the ultimate (eh, maybe with a diesel too).

I have to think the reason we don't see them is because of the price.

Maybe I'm not explaining it well enough, but I still feel like something can't be the "ultimate something" if it's not in common use as the thing it's trying to be the ultimate at.
Maybe "most exclusive" or maybe "would be good at, but nobody really does it".

I agree the reason we don't see them is the price, and simply there are not many of them - AEV just can't churn them out as fast as an OEM can.
I expect we'll see a lot of the wrangler pickups when they come about, because the factory will be churning out a ton of them every day.

We don't see too many overlanding G-Wagons in NA either, but that doesn't mean they aren't a solid choice
Well, except they're insanely heavy, really pricy, and almost non-existent in North America, so support it always going to be tough.
Again, a contender for "most exclusive", I think.

As someone who has done extensive overlanding in a Jeep, what would be your "ultimate"?
I'm a firm believer there is no such thing as "the ultimate vehicle". It depends entirely on the person, the trip, the duration, the weather, the trip goals, the level of comfort wanted, the budget, the number of people, the security situation in the destinations, expected road conditions, fuel availability, parts availability, etc. etc.
The list is virtually endless, and very quickly results in different outcomes not just for different people, but also the same person going to different places, or even the same place at different times of year.

I am really happy with what I have built for Africa - though I'm already daydreaming about what I'll do differently next time - and mostly that will depend on the destination and weather.

In short, it's all massively based on personal preference.

-Dan

Last edited:

Johannc14

Hey Scott,
I actually own a Brute and it is awesome. That being said I am now looking at the Prospecter as a better overall Overland Vechicle. I saw that you and Christopher were able to take one out for a bit. Would you mind sharing with me your experience? Additionally, I also liked the way you guys had it set up with the cargo rack and tent. Who is the manufacturer for the cargo rack?

I haven't driven one but plan to test drive one in the upcoming weeks.

Best,
Johann

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Hey Scott,
I actually own a Brute and it is awesome. That being said I am now looking at the Prospecter as a better overall Overland Vechicle. I saw that you and Christopher were able to take one out for a bit. Would you mind sharing with me your experience? Additionally, I also liked the way you guys had it set up with the cargo rack and tent. Who is the manufacturer for the cargo rack?

I haven't driven one but plan to test drive one in the upcoming weeks.

Best,
Johann

Would love to follow along on this build. :beer:

Jurfie

Adventurer
Would love to follow along on this build. :beer:

x2! I'm considering going the Prospector XL route down the road. I'd have to build it rather than buy it due to being in Canada (import rules) and wanting to make some changes to what AEV provides. Plus building it over time would be easier on the wallet!

bjunc

Observer
I had considered selling my JKUR, and going with a Ram 3500 Cummins. I even spoke to Mainline Overland about giving it the AEV Prospector treatment, as well as putting a Norweld tray and Norweld canopy on the back (removing the bed). I ultimately stuck with my JKUR, but if the overall size of the vehicle and the price tag are not a concern, I still think that would be a pretty awesome setup. If I recall, it would have been roughly 100k...

I also think Goose Gear's Tacoma Habitat is a pretty sweet setup. And of course, a Land Cruiser 78/79 V8 would be a lot of overlanders' dream vehicle.

JeepinBear

Explorer
Don't know if it's the "ultimate" anything, but it is the perfect balance of on & off road fun for my wife and I in New Zealand, where you're never really all that far from civilisation.

Brute20.jpg

Brute00.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles