AEV Brute: The Ultimate Overlander?

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
So, you fell in love, then found out it was expensive and now it is just a show off vehicle that Bieber would drive.

Unfortunately, some cool things are expensive. No reason to shame those who can afford it... just because you can't

Scott, you shouldn't make such assumptions about a person's fiscal ability or responsibility, you essentially just called this person "poor" on a public forum. I'm sure there are some people who do actually have the money for such a toy but find it to be unwise to buy one based on its lack of real purpose in their eyes. I personally own 5 vehicles plus a boat and would never call my neighbor(who happens to be a financial adviser) with 2 cars "poor" if he thinks I spend too much on having fun.

toymaster

Explorer
We think it is pretty cool. The super hero of 4WDs?

Agree - Disagree?

All set to reply in the 'disagree' column. Then, the decision was made to go out to the porch, watch the sun go down over the Beartooth mountain range and read Scott's article. When this line was read the laughter started... "For some reason, the word “ultimate” causes rational people to lose their minds, synapses exploding and blood vessels erupting into a furry of Disqus comments and Facebook rhetoric." After careful review of the author's limited criteria and more than a few valid points contained in the article this response will now go in the agree column.

AEV's founder, Dave Harriton, must be given kudos for carrying out a well-conceived business plan. How much AEV has grown in the past few years had not been realized till the website was perused moments ago. There has to be a large market to support this operation. As the company is privately held financial records are not available to be scrutinized. Albeit the empirical data seems to point to the company's state of well-being. Here again Dave Harriton has built a business that would be envious of any 'jeep guy'.

As anyone with a degree in business understands considerations have to be given and compromises made to not only appeal to a large market but also limit the risk of litigation in today's society. Even given these facts the marketing statement of AEV that the company offers a "tour-de-force in engineering" is looked upon with nothing short of righteous indignation by the larger "jeep" subculture. In short, the entire AEV platform is based around brackets. In addition, the article's indication that AEV is not a "frankenjeep" is a negative in some eyes. Much better engineering is available although for other specific usages than overlanding. Usages that may encompass overlanding and designs that are at least as capable of the treacheries of a fireroad as the AEV approach. The treacheries of a fireroad seem to be very important in the article's accepted criteria for the "ultimate".

In days gone by auto manufactures did not even make 4 wheel drive trucks. If a customer required this capability the truck was sent to an authorized aftermarket company before getting to the dealer’s lot. It would appear AEV is following suit and offering a service the manufacturer cannot or will not do. Kudos once again to AEV for being large enough to have this impact on the market.

AEV does offer the non-jeep-guy a turnkey solution with a certain amount of support after the sale. Support not seen in the "frankenjeep" world. As a person with a relatively short foray into the bowels of the modern jeep world it is very, extremely even, tiring to hear the same complaints over and over of the technically challenged. In this market AEV has its niche. However, this service does come at a premium. Of course, if the premium is a value or not is up to the individual consumer. Here again the available empirical data shows there is a market for this service. From the other perspective, after reviewing several media articles linked from AEV's news & media webpage and some previously noticed on Yahoo's homepage it could be seen as a shame the larger public may be misled into thinking AEV's approach is the ultimate off-road solution when in fact a more capable jeep can be created for a fraction of the cost from anyone in no less than hundreds of shops across America. Furthermore, if one is not technically challenged and the desire is present the cost is even less to the end-user. Strongly in AEV’s favor from strictly a business prospective a company cannot be blamed for placing their product in the best light possible.

Lastly, the mentioned reaction of people and little ones to the Brute by the review's author including his own personal enjoyment is the usual reaction to driving a modified jeep. A reaction felt by all, jeep-guys and non-jeep-guys alike. A reaction even commented on by this jeep-guy's wife driving his own personal creation.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
My local Jeep dealer has had a Brute Hemi conversion in front of their shop for quite a while.
To my horror, it comes with AEV's "upgraded" IPF H4 headlights...
...a lamp that doesn't meet the criteria for vehicular use on this continent. Worst headlight I ever tested, among the cheapest to buy, illegal to use/sell for the street, and it's listed as a $200 "upgrade".
This alone causes me to question anything from AEV from now on.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
If it were readily available here, I would own one. No questions asked. They need a cover for the rear cargo area, and a rack system for RTT and storage rack. I love the brute. I have had so much fun In our jeep. I would like a truck for hunting, cleaning up around the yard, etc. The Brute is the perfect choice for me. something that is awesome in the backcountry but still be able to toss a moose, or what not in the cargo area without making a mess.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
My local Jeep dealer has had a Brute Hemi conversion in front of their shop for quite a while.
To my horror, it comes with AEV's "upgraded" IPF H4 headlights...
...a lamp that doesn't meet the criteria for vehicular use on this continent. Worst headlight I ever tested, among the cheapest to buy, illegal to use/sell for the street, and it's listed as a $200 "upgrade".
This alone causes me to question anything from AEV from now on.

Dave should get the Daniel Stern specials and over pay dearly for them for sure! Makes great business sense. I have talked to many people with the IPF's and they are a great deal better than stock.

Have some more.

kool-aid.jpg

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Dave should get the Daniel Stern specials and over pay dearly for them for sure! Makes great business sense. I have talked to many people with the IPF's and they are a great deal better than stock.

Have some more.
Safe and legal vehicular lighting has nothing to do with your choice of beverage nor your puerile retorts.
The United States of America has a vehicular lighting code and anybody wishing to drive upon the roads must adhere to it. The IPF headlight does not conform to that standard, the Canadian (nearly identical to the US), or even Mexican.
To further muddy the already turbid waters, IPF insults their buying demographic by marking their lights with a bogus "E" in a circle to mimic ECE regulatory stampings.

They're nothing more than headlight-shaped toys. There are many headlights available that will outperform them, including the stock units.

AlaricD

Observer

You like saving money with IPF lights? Heck, I do the same thing with smoke detectors!

I can get them WAY cheaper than those brands that have all the UL markings and certifications. I'll bet all these companies just LOVE overcharging for these safety devices simply because they can genuinely certify they're made to "UL 217" and "CAN/ULC-S531" standards and stuff like that. Like some egghead scientist with his "tests" and "measurements" and "facts" knows better than me! Just moments after I start coughing from the smoke, I can HEAR that smoke detector goes off and it's LOUD!!!!

Heck, I don't care if they have .5 microcuries or 5000 microcuries of Americium-241, the smoke detectors I buy have NRC stickers on them so I'm sure they're just fine-- and they're plenty LOUD so that's all I care about, not whether the radioactive material is properly secured and shielded and all that useless stuff!

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Nope. not feeling it.

I'd rather have a brand new 2014-2015 Tacoma Double-Cab with whatever factory locker comes in rear of the TRD and an ARB up front.

What would that run me? about $35-40k for the truck and $5000 for the locker and install?

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Nope. not feeling it.

I'd rather have a brand new 2014-2015 Tacoma Double-Cab with whatever factory locker comes in rear of the TRD and an ARB up front.

What would that run me? about $35-40k for the truck and $5000 for the locker and install?
Don't forget the snorkel, Brian.

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
I've had a Tacoma quad-cab. Until they un-f€£% the seats and seating position I'll never have another. I like the seating position in my JKU so replicating that in a pickup appeals to me. If my wife ends up with a JK in 2017, our JKU will receive a pickup cab, or trade for a brute if the market takes off.

matthewp

Combat Truck Monkey
Nope. not feeling it.

I agree. I think the Brute is a toy for those with disposable income. It does not do any job better than any other SINGLE vehicle on the market enough to validate its price tag.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Lotsa critics. It is a nice truck, but a 3/4 ton crew would be the way I would go for a short bed 4 door. But it is nice.

Hey Scott, happy friday! :)

If you'll take another look at the OP by Mr. Brady,you'll see he's opening up a dialogue and specifically asking for opinions on whether the vehicle in question is the "ultimate Overlander", regardless of price. My opinion is that I can get a factory fresh TRD Tacoma, add one aftermarket goody (or two, if I take Hilldweller's post into consideration) and be on par with the specs of the Wrangler. That would be my choice.

It's just a friendly discussion, who's topic I happen to have a dissenting opinion.
Is it a nice truck? For sure.
Cool factor? Yup, droolworthy.
Would I choose it for my travels across the US/canada/mexico? Nope.

Expand on your 3/4 crew comment, please, if you would... Why would that be your choice?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles