AEV Brute: The Ultimate Overlander?

HAFICON

Adventurer
Truly one of a kinda and a beautiful rig. I have been in love with this since I seen it, I was even to the point of if I were to get a re-enlistment bonus I was looking to have this done to my JK. However with the economy and all re-enlistment bonuses are a thing of the past as not many people are getting out. But over the years I have started to grow away from this rig, I would rather have AEV over haul my 2012 JKU and keep the Wrangler body. The 4dr can be a little clumsy at times stretch it out even more ad I think it would be a little much. Also after seeing these rigs in videos off road (rocks) they don't seem as capable. Now I would love to have one for a daily driver.

Expedition Rig: I think it would do great, looks great, functions great really cool set up AEV has going.

Just a quick share.. I think this would as well function as an overland rig however on the trails, man it would be tight.
Looks like the Jeep swallowed a Suburban.

LocoCoyote

World Citizen
no experience with them myself, but I hear they are very fuel hungry.....kind of a problem when away from the pumps...

KiwiKurt

Explorer
While I fully admit I have zero knowledge/experience with the platform other than what I read, my first question is this: at $40,000 + the cost of the jeep to start with it, can it be worth it? I mean a rubi is what? $44k? So thats $84,000 + taxes for what amounts to a jeep with a lift and 35's.

As a serious question from the uninitiated: What benefit does it provide that justifies the price tag? What does it allow me to do that a well-set-up Tacoma doesn't do? Or is it just a cool toy for those that can afford it? (which is not all together unreasonable, either)

Still has coils in rear, maybe if they had j8 axles and the rear leaf sprung suspension but I would think a pickup box that can only carry a couple hundred pounds is not optimal

Last edited:

JMichaelsJeep

GaiaExplorer
I agree with kiwikurt, for the price you spend on the JKU brute, you could have a very heavily modified overland rig with a diesel engine that could easily travel the world... or you could have a larger overland vehicle for that price etc.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge jeep fan and I've always loved these brute/ jeep pickup options, but for that price I can do a LOT to my current LJ, add an overland camper/ trailer, etc. have more gear, better set up, etc. Now if I suddenly came into lots of money and could throw that into a rig, sure, just to say I had one, I'd do it.

Dust999

Observer
Depends on each individuals definition of 'over landing'. (Do not want to start a debate on that here).:)

If you want to travel lightly, include technical trails in your journey and do not want to stay off grid for more than a few days, then I would agree.

If payload is at the top of your vehicle criteria must have's then I disagree. Extended off grid stays, greater distance between refueling points , you do not want to do any technical trails, then the upcoming RAM 2500/3500 from AEV would be my choice as the ultimate overland vehicle in the USA. Yes, its a bit bigger than the Jeep, but it can handle the payload issue, and it would also be cheaper to buy and equip with lockers, suspension etc than the Jeep.

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
There will be another option out there - the upcoming 4WD sprinter with the low range option. Diesel V6 engine and tons of space and wieght capacity - plus you can easily sleep inside. Available in a low roof 144 wheel base configuration - about the same size. Not gonna fit 37 inch tires under it though without serious mods - probably will take a set of 33's though (which seem big enough to me).

Guess it all depends on that definition of "Overlanding"...

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Expedition Rig: I think it would do great, looks great, functions great really cool set up AEV has going.

Just a quick share.. I think this would as well function as an overland rig however on the trails, man it would be tight.
Looks like the Jeep swallowed a Suburban.

The owner of AEV, Dave H, said that Jeep is exactly the same length as the Brute Double cab.
Their panel supplier (forget the name) built this just to prove they could.

Funny that everyone thinks it's way bigger than a brute double cab, when it's actually the same thing.

-Dan

Scott Brady

Founder
All great comments.

I see the perspective on price, but I feel it is worth excluding if "Ultimate" is the criteria. Imagine if we were debating the "Ultimate" sports car. Would value really be a consideration?

If the goal is maximizing value, then I agree there would be better choices, the Tacoma in particular.

haven

Expedition Leader
This comes down to how you plan to use the vehicle. If you're a weekend warrior, the AEV will work fine. If you're a long term traveler, I'd suggest an alternative.

I think the Ram Power Wagon is a better all-round vehicle. Besides being $20,000 cheaper, it's not much larger. (OK, it is 20 inches longer, but the height and width are pretty close.) The Power Wagon's advantage is its carrying capacity (1900 lb vs about 1000 for the AEV). Equip the AEV with a camper and gear for a month in Alaska like the article suggests, and you'd be riding on the bump stops.

There's a reason why AEV brought a modified Power Wagon to SEMA last Fall.
http://expeditionportal.com/aev-ram-accessories-a-new-standard/

Another interesting option coming next year is the Chevy Colorado crew cab pickup with diesel engine. Price around $40K, better fuel economy, 1600 lb carrying capacity. Add $10K for suspension mods, and you've got Brute-like size and capability for $25K less.

Here are the Power Wagon specs:

Ram Power Wagon
msrp $45,000
6.4L gas V8
429 ft lb of torque

Wheelbase: 149.3 in
Length: 237.3 in
Width: 79.1 in
Height: 81.0 in

Curb weight: 7,324 lb
Payload: 1900 lb
Towing: 10,800 lb

Box dimensions: 76 in long, 66 in wide

—————————

Brute Double Cab 250 pickup
Rubicon msrp $36,900 (with hardtop)
plus $30,000 for AEV 250 (2.5 in suspension lift, 35 in tires)
3.6L gas V6
260 ft-lb of torque

Wheelbase: 139.0 in
Length: 216 in
Width: 78 in (estimate, stock Wrangler is 74 in)
Height: 75.5 in (2.5 in suspension lift, 35 in tires)

Curb weight: 5,400 lb (with V6)
Payload: 900 - 1000 lb (depends on equipment)
Towing: 3,500 lb

Box dimensions: 61 x 60 in

Scott Brady

Founder
That new Colorado has some potential. Really hoping it doesn't suck. . .
2015-chevrolet-colorado-side.jpg

KiwiKurt

Explorer
All great comments.

I see the perspective on price, but I feel it is worth excluding if "Ultimate" is the criteria. Imagine if we were debating the "Ultimate" sports car. Would value really be a consideration?

If the goal is maximizing value, then I agree there would be better choices, the Tacoma in particular.

Fair retort. To be clear, I wasn't ""hating"" just trying to understand.

Sometimes having the limited/unique/commodity item is the justification for the price tag...to which, like the sports car or the motorcycle, is in the eye of the beholder.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

KiwiKurt

Explorer
That new Colorado has some potential. Really hoping it doesn't suck. . .
2015-chevrolet-colorado-side.jpg

hopefully...but that certainly isnt the way to bet ;)

joking aside, kudos to chevy for building it with a diesel. While i couldn't care less about a chevy, if it gets us a ROW ford ranger in diesel, a hilux, or a nissan diesel, then IMO we win big.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
The JK8 seems like a really cool toy. Like the FC concept Wrangler. But it doesn't hit the "practical" side for me.
When I look at the JK8 and think of "why would I want it". I see Tacoma.
In order for me to justify a 4 door pickup, it would need to have pickup truck capacity.
Otherwise the Wrangler, and a utility trailer are more practical for my use.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles