AEV Brute: The Ultimate Overlander?

Scott Brady

Founder
I've loved Jeeps for 35+ years and think the Brute 4 door is very cool. But.....

So, if the Brute is not the Ultimate, what would you put in its place? New 4wd sold in North America?

What is your Ultimate overlander for the good'ol USA?

WrenchMonkey

Mechanical Animal
Fair enough.
But it does show how cost can be a major factor in an "ultimate" conversation: Even if I wanted to wheel a Brute, I'd end up working every weekend til I died to pay for it. An ultimate vehicle that, in the real world, you wouldn't get to use, isn't very ultimate.
The ultimate is the one you use, and love doing it.
I've got one. :cool:

Scott Brady

Founder
Fair enough.

So, if you could have a blank check and buy your Ultimate overlander, what would it be? Any new 4wd sold in the USA. Take your pick. . .

And you can't wish for more wishes, so no choosing the most expensive thing and selling it to buy something else. Blank check and you can't sell it.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
The comment was not directed at an individual. I do not know you or your experience.

The fact remains that very, very few actually get out and do it. It is the nature of the modern age- virtual adventure. . .

We put more miles on our cars this year from back country camping, hunting, and fishing than we did driving anywhere else. I know we aren't the norm but most would say I'm not normal anyway, we don't even own a single gaming system, have cable, or own an iPad/Kindle. Before I married my wife I made sure she was happy going to the bathroom in the woods, we get out and create our own adventures as much as possible.

Scott Brady

Founder
We put more miles on our cars this year from back country camping, hunting, and fishing than we did driving anywhere else. I know we aren't the norm but most would say I'm not normal anyway, we don't even own a single gaming system, have cable, or own an iPad/Kindle. Before I married my wife I made sure she was happy going to the bathroom in the woods, we get out and create our own adventures as much as possible.

Awesome. I cannot imagine anyone living in Utah wanting cable or a gaming system. One of the most beautiful places on earth.

WrenchMonkey

Mechanical Animal
So, if you could have a blank check and buy your Ultimate overlander, what would it be? Any new 4wd sold in the USA. Take your pick. . .

Well, I don't. And these hypotheticals always feel like "Jessica Biel or Jessica Alba?"
But, since we've allowed aftermarket conversions: A UJoint-converted Sportsmobile. Yum.
And I still like Jessica Simpson...

Cole

Expedition Leader
So, if the Brute is not the Ultimate, what would you put in its place? New 4wd sold in North America?

What is your Ultimate overlander for the good'ol USA?

:coffeedrink:

You just excuded *my* personal favorite form of over landing which is by motorcycle. 4wd is hard to come by on those:coffeedrink: But a Christini AWD bike would be pretty good!

My new favorite after owning a dozen or so Jeeps over 35years...is the van! In this case if we must pick a 4wd available in the USA it would have to be the new 4wd Sprinter. Far more cargo room and capacity than any pickup or Jeep. Far more range between fuel stops, far more room to build in your shelter. Which can contribute greatly to how and where you travel. Knowing you have a warm solid shelter can vastly expand your travels over the fear of weather in any kind of tent.

It won't climb rocks like a Brute. But you're probably more likely to get a member of the opposite sex to go "winter over landing" with you if she has a comfy bed and a furnace. :coffeedrink:

I think it's important to remember that not all of North America is dry and warm all year long. Which makes the style of sleeping arrangements an important trait of a true North American over lander.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
My opinion is that the Brute is the Ultimate new 4wd you can buy in the US and use for exploration in North America. Sure it is expensive, no it is not perfect. Don't like or agree with my opinion, I respect that.

Sure, it's cool, even sexy, hell, it's probably worth drooling over & I'd absolutely love to have one.

But here's the deal - it doesn't have enough usable space. It's to small to put a camper on it, too small to sleep inside of it, and the bed is to short to do much more than haul some recreation equipment. I think a similarly equipped JK (same suspension, same hemi swap, etc) would be a superior platform to live out of while exploring for a few weeks or months at a time. Gut the back, put a platform in it, & go.

Now, if we're talking primarily about a weekend warrior or something that you were using to get you to/from your adventure (IE: carrying kayaks or dive gear to some cool remote beach in Mexico, or hauling your climbing gear or mountain bikes into the hills for the weekend) - yea, the Brute's little bed starts to shine. You can keep all that dirty stinky stuff outside of the cab & still cruise home in comfort & style.

If you ever want to put my theory to the test - I'd jump at the chance to spend one week in each, back to back, and report my findings. ;-)

Cole

Expedition Leader
I have fairly recently discovered a problem with vehicles like the Brute! Because they are so capable offroad, the rocks specifically, we plan all of our trips around this capability. We start to only go places that have big rocks to drive over. We start to feel like a trip wasn't worth it if we didn't try to use up all the capability he vehicle has.

While this can be entertaining it can also cause you to miss out on all the cool places in the world that can be accessed by a lesser vehicle.

You could even argue that the "really cool" places have had the obsticals removed so that people can go enjoy them in "normal vehicles"

Scott Brady

Founder
:coffeedrink:

You just excuded *my* personal favorite form of over landing which is by motorcycle. 4wd is hard to come by on those:coffeedrink: But a Christini AWD bike would be pretty good!

I am picking up what you are throw'in down. . . ;)

10372583_10152859651008275_4579713422100201111_n.jpg

GFA

Adventurer
It was a general statement, not necessarily targeted at the poster. It is a recurring theme. Because someone buys a Brute, "they have more money than sense". It is classic drivel fueled by insecurity, nothing more.

The comment was not directed at an individual. I do not know you or your experience.
. .

Nice blanket statement, but it's pretty obvious that you did indeed take a shot at me..

You still do not know me or my financials yet you still imply I'm financially insecure? All your money, which may or may not be more than I have as far as either of us know, will not buy my respect towards you regardless of your position.

If you've taken offense by me saying some have more money than sense, it was not my intention, I've seen how you use your vehicles and can justify them no matter the cost. But you can be sure that many of the 100k limited availability jeep trucks owners are buying them as a symbol of their success. And if they (or you) need personal belongings to feel better about themselves, then there's your insecurities you speak of.

Have a nice day
SB

Scott Brady

Founder
Nice blanket statement, but it's pretty obvious that you did indeed take a shot at me..

You still do not know me or my financials yet you still imply I'm financially insecure? All your money, which may or may not be more than I have as far as either of us know, will not buy my respect towards you regardless of your position.

If you've taken offense by me saying some have more money than sense, it was not my intention, I've seen how you use your vehicles and can justify them no matter the cost. But you can be sure that many of the 100k limited availability jeep trucks owners are buying them as a symbol of their success. And if they (or you) need personal belongings to feel better about themselves, then there's your insecurities you speak of.

Have a nice day
SB

bloody_keyboardguy.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94